Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-13-2005, 04:31 PM   #21
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

I have only once "self-medicated" with alcohol. And it didn't work, despite the added cocktail of (prescription) drugs that I could get my hands on in that dark hour.

I don't drink often. If I do drink, it's to get tipsy. To get into that happy state. That slightly uninhibited state.

However.

I drink and drink (beer) and nothing happens. So I down a couple of shots of vodka, and wait. I go through that happy state so quickly that I almost miss it completely, but it's just slow enough for me to get in a few more shots.

Then I enjoy being drunk for a short while before feeling nauseous, and then upset for not exercising some restraint.

I'm a fun guy to be out with when I'm drunk. I might do some really silly things, but I don't do stupid things. I don't drive when under the influence or become aggressive and look for fights.

Anyway, I can't remember when last I was drunk.
Andúril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 06:08 PM   #22
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

I don't know, Lotesse, I kind of have some sympathy for people who are alcoholics. I know how hard it can be to stop doing something that you're even slightly 'addicted' to, and even worse if that something helps you blot out pain.

On the other hand, you do have a good deal more experience in that area than I do, so I bow to your superior knowledge .

I've been very lucky because my parents have let me drink in private for the past five or six years. I'm -very- lucky because I already know my limit (four middling sized glasses of wine). I try to make sure that I don't go over one and a half glasses, and even though that doesn't affect me, I just don't drink at all if I'm going to be driving.

I do have a soft spot for wine-coolers though. Lime flavored ones. *sniffle* Soooooo good.
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 06:13 PM   #23
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

This post is unnecessary.

Last edited by Andúril : 08-13-2005 at 06:15 PM. Reason: Tessar may indeed be under the influence.
Andúril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 06:29 PM   #24
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Anduril - sometimes you are SUCH a silly goose!

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Lotesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 06:32 PM   #25
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Heh. He said something like "I can see the posts just fine" because I had to do a 'bump' post so I could see what was on the second page, but then I deleted that to see if the thread would stay 'bumped' if I took away the 'bump' thread.
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 10:45 PM   #26
Captain Stern
Elven Warrior

I drink regularly purely because it alleviates boredom. But the hangovers the next day... ugh!
Then hate overcame Fëanor's fear, and he cursed Melkor and bade him be gone, saying 'Get thee gone from my gate, thou jail-crow of Mandos!' And he shut the doors of his house in the face of the mightiest of all dwellers in Eä.

Last edited by Captain Stern : 11-18-2005 at 10:32 PM.
Captain Stern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 01:09 PM   #27
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

I can't justify the financial expense of drinking very regularly, though I'm known to take a martini with my dinner when I eat out.

I would advise against drinking as a solution to depression, mostly because alcohol seems to act as an amplifier of your emotional state - if you're a happy drunk, you'll act positively ecstatic, and if you were depressed to begin with, any help it might offer is purely illusory.

Lately I've found that late-night coolers induce exactly the kind of drowsiness I need to combat insomnia, but I refuse to rely on them; over-reliance is how addictions are developed.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 09:55 PM   #28
Arien the Maia
Fëanáro's Fire Mistress

I used to drink with a good friend of mine for a while at my home until I got pregnant...obviously I abstained then...now...not too much...if I do, it's after the baby has gone down for the night and usually it's only till I get a slight "buzz" then it goes away and I go to bed....I agree with several other posters...hangovers and screaming kids don't mix! I've only had that happen once or twice though...since I also have a regular 8-4 job, I can't really drink during the week anymore other than the whole buzz thing I mentioned...as for actually being drunk? well...I don't like being really drunk b/c after a while the "buzz" gets old and I want it to go away but it doesn't...that's when I know I'm drunk...I haven't been in a while...I dont' like the after effects of drinking alot...so I moderately drink...enough for a buzz, but not a hangover.
Arien the Maia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 11:51 AM   #29
littleadanel
of the House of Bëor

I don't drink regularly either. Mainly because it's, well, not that cheap. (And I hate cheap wines more and more. Most of those have never seen any grape. Classic example, and I swear it happened, this very summer: "Well, we actually ran out of wine, but if you can wait 10 minutes, I'll make some for you." Auggh. Better NOT.) But back to drinking: it means partying with friends, once in a month or so, and getting to that silly-buzzy fun state, but not further. It happened to me twice that I knocked myself out -really- badly, and I don't want to do that again. I really felt ashamed for not knowing my limits. NEVER more, I say.

Last edited by littleadanel : 11-28-2006 at 03:45 AM.
littleadanel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 12:27 PM   #30
Hasty Ent
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insidious Rex
When you get old your tolerance goes up and your drive is more about taste then about drinking just for the sake of passing out.
I agree. My father was an alcoholic, so I've always been sensitive to any behaviour changes or other signs of alcoholism in myself and those around me. I'm happy to say that I'm not an alcoholic and always drink responsibly now that I'm an adult. Getting drunk for the sake of getting drunk is a waste of good wine/vodka/beer/armagnac, etc! That said, as a teenager and in my early twenties I did my share of everything to excess. I wouldn't trade in those experiences for anything, they're a part of my history and helped form who I am.

Now, however, I drink for the taste, as IR stated. Certain foods are enhanced by wine, or beer, or various spirits. I have a small wine cellar and can't imagine fine dining without an appropriate wine. Wine enhances the meal, it is celebratory, delicious and all-around a fascinating subject for me. It has definitely become a minor hobby of mine. It is one of the great pleasures in life to pair wine (or beer, etc) with food so that both can be savored and enjoyed.

Last edited by Hasty Ent : 11-17-2005 at 12:59 PM.
Hasty Ent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 01:41 PM   #31
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Yep, I drink for taste now as well; nothing like a tasty red, or a belgian beer! Yum!! We buy red wine when we do the shopping, and we drink it with food. Ditto with beer. Still manage to get plastered every xmas though. And I did all those silly things when I first moved out of home at 16 - wasn't much I didn't do in that year...
Old 11-17-2005, 01:55 PM   #32
EarthBound
Lady Tipple & Queen of Blessed Thistle

I'm a cheap date...2 quality beers and I'm happy...don't need anymore than that. Wine MUST be quality as well, and 2 glasses are more than enough. I have too many 'control' issues to enjoy being drunk so I never went that route.

Happy to be here

The HACBR has been alerted to my postings…..Hobbits Against Constant Beer References

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. --Ben Franklin

I want my Mooter T-Shirt!
EarthBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 02:59 PM   #33
Tamuril Sirfalas
Elven Warrior

sorry to hear you are down finrod felagund but getting drunk really isnt the answer even if it makes you have a big craving for olives and play with a childs train set like me when im drunk...dont ask me why i just ahd too much. my advice...drink LOTS of water...i think what you need is to talk to someone..you can pm anyone and im here to listen

Nin o Chithaeglir, lasto beth daer:
Rimmo nin Bruinen dan in Ulaer!

REST IN PEACE GRANDMA, GREAT AUNT, GREAT UNCLE .....they're gunna fly with the angels now so say goodbye..but i can't. You don't really realize the importance of someone until they are gone
Tamuril Sirfalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 07:57 PM   #34
Finrod Felagund
King of Nargothrond

Well...I'm not a drinker anymore...apparently it was a brief fix for me.
Old 11-18-2005, 09:44 PM   #35
Captain Stern
Elven Warrior

EDIT: Drunken post. So am deleting it. (Sorry for wasting space).

Hmm, quite appropriate in a way...
Then hate overcame Fëanor's fear, and he cursed Melkor and bade him be gone, saying 'Get thee gone from my gate, thou jail-crow of Mandos!' And he shut the doors of his house in the face of the mightiest of all dwellers in Eä.

Last edited by Captain Stern : 11-19-2005 at 10:58 PM.
Captain Stern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 03:07 PM   #36
Tamuril Sirfalas
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finrod Felagund
Well...I'm not a drinker anymore...apparently it was a brief fix for me.
well thats good isn't it? i do like drinking tho...just not over-indulge because in my case..that would be stupid because i have the kind of friends who would like to play dirty tricks on the drunk friend( mostly my guy friends...figures doesn't it?)

Nin o Chithaeglir, lasto beth daer:
Rimmo nin Bruinen dan in Ulaer!

REST IN PEACE GRANDMA, GREAT AUNT, GREAT UNCLE .....they're gunna fly with the angels now so say goodbye..but i can't. You don't really realize the importance of someone until they are gone
Tamuril Sirfalas is offline   Reply With Quote