Old 01-21-2002, 10:06 PM   #1
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Fascism and Tolkien? Huh??

I was wondering what you folks thought of this article:

http://www.nationalpost.com/artslife...1/1191395.html

One quote:

"During his lifetime, J.R.R. Tolkien resisted attempts by readers to find a hidden political message in his Lord of the Rings trilogy, but the continuing popularity of the fantasy series, recently bolstered by the release of a hit movie, has renewed efforts to discover the true ideology of the books. Surprisingly, Tolkien's fantasy has been claimed not only by environmentalists, free-market libertarians, social conservatives and pacifists, but even by the neo-fascist far right.

The extreme right's appropriation of Tolkien is most evident in Italy, where the neo-fascist Italian Social Movement ran summer training centres called "hobbit camps" in the 1970s. Currently, the National Alliance, another Italian far-right group, is hoping to cash in on the success of the first Lord of the Rings movie, The Fellowship of the Ring, by launching a recruitment campaign inviting young people to "enter the fellowship."'

Benito Mussolini was a Hobbit?

There were a few comments, not really on-point, posted here...

http://www.lucianne.com/threads2.asp?artnum=169170

Just curious what you Mooters thought of this angle of discussion...
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2002, 06:53 PM   #2
Taurwen
Hobbit

I thought it was really interesting. It annoys me, though, when people try to interpret things as something that they weren't meant to be. Why can't they just enjoy the story?
---------------------------
Hey! Come derry dol! Hop along, my hearties!
Hobbits! Ponies all! We are fond of parties.
Now let the fun begin! Let us sing together!
Taurwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2002, 07:01 PM   #3
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

What annoys me is the LotR being called a trilogy and a series in the same paragraph. Makes me sick.
Old 01-22-2002, 07:33 PM   #4
olsonm
Elf Lord

Nazis suck- oh wait, that's redundant!

Inoldonil speaks the truth.
olsonm is offline   Reply With Quote