Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-09-2005, 05:37 PM   #81
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

damn! the council of butterflies was just about to respond ...

still, least the topic is friendlier, heh?

hope you are feeling better by the way!
Butterbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 06:00 PM   #82
Snowdog
Dúnedain Ranger of the North

... and who gives a rip about this today??? I'm so far beyond this man....

... I have to get embroiled in one of these somewhere every year to remind me why I don't get into these threads ...
Old 09-09-2005, 08:52 PM   #83
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

*****stay On Topic **********

Please stay on topic folks. This thread needs to stay focused.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."
Marcus Aurelius
Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 11:50 PM   #84
rohirrim TR
Friendly Neigborhood Sith Lord

maybe we should change the title/purpose of this thread? just wondering
...Inspiration is a highly localized phenomenon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gaffer
It seems that as soon as "art" gets money and power (real or imagined), it becomes degenerate, derivative and worthless. A bit like religion.
rohirrim TR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 11:08 AM   #85
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohirrim TR
maybe we should change the title/purpose of this thread? just wondering
Talk to Rian, she started this thread.
Old 09-10-2005, 01:23 PM   #86
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

Quote:
Originally Posted by RÃ*an
But don't kids hear from their parents, "it's not RIGHT to do that, little Samwise!" IOW, don't parents (and others) provide subjective analyses of how to handle experiences?
I may be wrong but I think that there is more of that now than there used to be. I went on a number of Christian Camps this summer and the majority of the Senior Leaders weren't bought up in a Christian environment, but became Christians through friends at school or later on in life.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Telcontar_Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 06:53 PM   #87
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Not quite sure what you mean, TD, could you please explain? You think there's more of parents telling kids what's right?

SO - brownie's opinion is that "life experience (including our parents, who typically use real life examples to teach their children) is where we get our morals... the "origin stuff" doesn't really hit home 'till at least the teen years".

I would strongly disagree with this (surprised, brownie? ) and I would like to hear you share an example of how this has worked out in RL with one of your kids. IOW, can you give us an example of an experience that happened to one of your kids, and what moral it taught him, and what role (if any) you and/or your wife had?

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 07:40 AM   #88
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

I think that religious parents more 'enforce' there own religion on their children (I may be wrong). On some Christian Camps I went to during the summer, quite a lot of the Senior Leaders were not bought up in Christian families, but came to find God through friends or in other ways. As I said before I may be wrong and this may just be a coincidence.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Telcontar_Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 12:31 PM   #89
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

*****THESE LAST TWO POSTS COULD ALSO FIT INTO THE THREAD
Parents' Thread
PLEASE CONSIDER IT.
Old 09-12-2005, 12:40 PM   #90
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Yes, they could fit on the parents' thread, but my post deals with the topic of THIS thread - we've been discussing how a person's thoughts on what their origins are affect choices we make (my contention and the thread topic), or if they do NOT affect choices they make (brownie's contention, arguing against the thread topic). I'm asking brownie now for specific examples to illustrate his point. This is NOT about parenting per se; we're now looking at when children first start to consider ideas of origin, because that will certainly affect which one of our points will be more supported.

I'll check out the parenting thread again, tho, and see where Arien, the thread starter, wants to take that thread

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 09-12-2005, 01:16 PM   #91
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

OK, OK, jeeze

Last edited by Spock : 09-12-2005 at 01:20 PM.
Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 02:33 PM   #92
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
Not quite sure what you mean, TD, could you please explain? You think there's more of parents telling kids what's right?

SO - brownie's opinion is that "life experience (including our parents, who typically use real life examples to teach their children) is where we get our morals... the "origin stuff" doesn't really hit home 'till at least the teen years".

I would strongly disagree with this (surprised, brownie? )
how come?

it's hard to know where to start with the kids, but i can tell you that no situation in the 3, 7 and 11 years of my three boys has ever involved any explanation concerning god, religion or origins... when something happens, like a fight over a toy or something, i talk to my children about the importance of patience, sharing... and about the fact that we live together (and will for a long time) and mutual respect for one another is the best for all of us... share with your brother and he will be more likely to share with you... that sort of thing

i find real world examples where children can actually see the benefits much more effective than some kind of biblical fable... and the idea of heaven, hell, the afterlife, etc. is so far from their reality that i highly doubt it would be a motivating factor at all... from personal experience, even into the teen years, it is hard to even impress upon a child the idea that they are not near-invincible
Old 09-13-2005, 07:43 AM   #93
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Old 09-14-2005, 12:52 PM   #94
Rían

Great cartoon, Spock!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownjenkins
it's hard to know where to start with the kids, but i can tell you that no situation in the 3, 7 and 11 years of my three boys has ever involved any explanation concerning god, religion or origins...
Exactly!!!! - which teaches them what? That their origin is NOT from God, thus they need to determine their own morality however they want to. When they're younger, they'll weigh any desire to steal (we ALL want to, you know!) from others against possible consequences of parents finding out. When they're older, they are perfectly free to steal, IF they can get away with it and IF they desire to do it, since they have learned from infancy up that there is no God that made them. Their parents never referred to God, therefore God must not be necessary to refer to.

Now the natural moral laws that, IMO, God has put into people's hearts (called by non-religious folk by names like "common decency") will make most people not WANT to do things that are commonly considered wrong. But in cases like Dahmer, who DID (obviously) want to do those things, there is certainly no LOGICAL (in the formal sense, not the "what is the norm?" sense) reason to decide against killing and eating children *shudder* if he is willing to chance the consequences, which he apparently was. If evolution IS true in the sense that he (and I think most) people think it is, then we have NOT been created by God/gods, and we are NOT accountable to anyone (altho if enough people get together that don't like what we do, they can overpower us and put us in jail or something.) If you, brownie, can decide on what YOU think is right, why can't Jeffrey Dahmer? The only objection you could possibly have is, "but I don't LIKE what you do!" And he, of course, could have the same objection about you.

Also, perhaps his morals have evolved more than yours, right?

Last edited by Rían : 09-14-2005 at 12:55 PM.
Old 09-14-2005, 12:54 PM   #95
Rían

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownjenkins
i find real world examples where children can actually see the benefits much more effective than some kind of biblical fable...
I agree that kids need to see the benefits of being "good" ... and the down side of "bad" choices, too.

Old 09-14-2005, 01:20 PM   #96
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
Now the natural moral laws that, IMO, God has put into people's hearts (called by non-religious folk by names like "common decency") will make most people not WANT to do things that are commonly considered wrong.
i'd say that "life experience" put morals into their hearts... a human child who had some sort of "tarzan" experience (raised outside society) would have absolutely no issue with "stealing" fruit from a streetside market until he learned otherwise... and, because of his background, calling him "immoral" after the first incident would be somewhat unfair... there are no "natural moral laws", only what we learn from life

Quote:
But in cases like Dahmer, who DID (obviously) want to do those things, there is certainly no LOGICAL (in the formal sense, not the "what is the norm?" sense) reason to decide against killing and eating children *shudder* if he is willing to chance the consequences, which he apparently was.
it is hard to refer to the mind of a killer as logical... there have been killers in the past who have claimed that "god told them to do it"... perfectly logical from their point of view... in fact, we can't even be sure that they are not speaking the truth... or at least what is true in their own minds... as i mentioned elsewhere, the KKK used biblical justification for some of their actions

Quote:
If evolution IS true in the sense that he (and I think most) people think it is, then we have NOT been created by God/gods, and we are NOT accountable to anyone (altho if enough people get together that don't like what we do, they can overpower us and put us in jail or something.)
but we are... you even said it... we are accountable to the society we live in... but just like the catholic priest who decides to disobey all he believes to be true and do evil, the non-religious person can also choose to go against societies morals and do whatever evil he chooses

Quote:
If you, brownie, can decide on what YOU think is right, why can't Jeffrey Dahmer? The only objection you could possibly have is, "but I don't LIKE what you do!" And he, of course, could have the same objection about you.
my objection would be that one would face the consequences society deals out to those who commit certain acts... it's not what I don't like, it's what SOCIETY does not like

one could even argue that such "here and now" consequences are a lot more effective than threatening one with hell and damnation when they die