Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entertainment Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-26-2003, 02:17 PM   #21
sun-star
Lady of Letters

I like Trivial Pursuit and Monopoly, but my new favourite game is called Apples to Apples. I think it's an American game, which makes the game a lot more complicated and a lot funnier!

I have a horror of games like Diplomacy and Risk though, from all those hours-long Christmas-time sessions when my brother would force us to play and then reveal the rules one by one as we went along, so that he would always win...
For centuries to come, when not a soul
Is left to picnic on the blazing rocks,
When England is not England, when mankind
Has blown himself to pieces. Still the sea,
Consolingly disastrous, will return
While the strange starfish, hugely magnified,
Waits in the jewelled basin of a pool.
sun-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2003, 05:43 AM   #22
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Heh heh. Sounds familiar. Risk can be a gruesome ordeal.

I find any board game which lasts longer than 1.5 hrs is too much, but I suppose that's a matter of taste.

In my view, the best game in the world ever is the Judge Dredd board game. 1-2 hrs long, fast moving and loads of being nasty to the other players. I've also got an ancient game called Buccaneer which is groovy for an hour or two's entertainment.
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 12:20 AM   #23
mithrand1r
Cyber Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamigar
What are YOUR favorite board games?
Hard to pick a single favorite, so I will list several games that I enjoy playing.

Scotland Yard
NY Chase (similar to Scotland Yard)
Clue
Parchessi
Sorry
Scrabble
Upwords (Similar to Scrabble)
Risk
Kwa-Do (actually a card game, but fun to play with 2-6 people)
Monopoly
Stratego
Chess
Backgammon
Life
Trivial Pursuit
Diplomacy
Advanced Civilization

'Many are my names in many countries,' he said. 'Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkûn to the Drarves; Olórin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incánus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not.' Faramir

What nobler employment, or more valuable to the state, than that of the man who instructs the rising generation? Cicero (106BC-43BC)
mithrand1r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 01:49 PM   #24
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Trivial pursuit is perhaps my favourite. But my friends no longer want to play it with me because I won three times out of three when we last played it. *sigh*

I would have said Rumicub until I realised that wasn't a board game.
Old 07-31-2005, 04:01 PM   #25
katya
Elven Maiden

I like Scattergories (another party game I guess) because you can use your imagination, and I'm pretty good at that game. I also like monopoly, with the right group of people. It's only fun if you don't play too seriously.

In days of old I really liked Candly Land and Pretty Pretty Princess. PPP was this game where you went around a board, and you would land on a piece of jewelry. Your goal was to collect all the pieces, minus the "black ring" which would keep you disqualified, and then get the crown and become a Pretty Pretty Princess. Sometimes when I didn't have anyone to play with, I'd use either my stuffed animals or my dad.
katya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 11:37 AM   #26
Mercutio

Balderdash
Monopoly
Scrabble
Risk

Interested in C.S. Lewis? Visit the forum dedicated
to one of Tolkien's greatest contemporaries.
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 04:16 PM   #27
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel
I would have said Rumicub until I realised that wasn't a board game.
Oh, do you like Rumicub?! That's a favorite among our family. My brother-in-law learned it when he married into our family, and he's very competitive, and came up with a question that wasn't covered by the rules, and actually wrote to the company - and they wrote back! They asked him to try both ways (the way it was written, it could be interpreted 2 ways) and write them back, giving his opinion on which was better.

Anyone here like cribbage? I just got the coolest set - my mom gave me a beautiful ivory (sorry, it's non-PC) board that's probably at least 50 years old that a neighbor gave to her. It has roses carved in it - really pretty.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 09:02 AM   #28
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RÃ*an
Oh, do you like Rumicub?!
Jup. Although dad takes aaaaages to think through a move and usually ends up putting down a block in such an ingenious (read: complicated) way that half the rows of blocks are changed before he's rid of that one little block. Playing rumicub with the family *can* take long.
Old 08-06-2005, 08:49 PM   #29
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

My older sister is like that - it gets kinda irritating (the time part, not the changing tiles around part). I think that if you don't have something in a few minutes, you should pass. It gets old very fast to have everyone else play at a decent/considerate pace, then it hits that one slow person and everything comes to a screeching halt.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote