Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entertainment Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-13-2005, 04:23 PM   #21
trolls' bane
Entmoot Secretary of the Treasury

I like the original War of the Worlds anyway, you know, the one from the 1950's. That one's the best. Unlike most old movies, it doesn't look stupid (i.e. few model "hover tanks," which is what the aliens used in that one; paintings, etc.)
Old 07-13-2005, 04:36 PM   #22
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Tom Cruise is an idiot. A gilded (guilded?) idiot. The last time he was cool was many years ago, in that fighter-pilot movie Top Gun.

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Lotesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 04:46 PM   #23
trolls' bane
Entmoot Secretary of the Treasury

I don't particularly like any of his movies, either. My stepdad, who worked with him, said that he was jerk anyway.
90 second rule...
Old 07-18-2005, 08:29 AM   #24
EarthBound
Lady Tipple & Queen of Blessed Thistle

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gaffer
Those who have seen it, how well did you think this was achieved in the film?

Well, actually I do. Made me feel personally vunerable...a bit helpless, if you will, to anything/anyone with a destructive bent and a leg-up on technology/biomechanics/etc.

Weak weak weak ending, can't believe that this one Boston family managed to stay home unscathed, looking clean and well fed while everyone else was grunged from mortal peril....sheeesh.

Happy to be here

The HACBR has been alerted to my postings…..Hobbits Against Constant Beer References

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. --Ben Franklin

I want my Mooter T-Shirt!
EarthBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 09:32 AM   #25
Rosie Gamgee
The Lovely Hobbit-Lass

Quote:
Originally Posted by trolls' bane
I like the original War of the Worlds anyway, you know, the one from the 1950's. That one's the best. Unlike most old movies, it doesn't look stupid (i.e. few "hover tanks," which is what the aliens used in that one; paintings, etc.)
The only role I've ever liked of his was Joseph Donelly in Far and Away. It's the only movie in which he makes an idiot out of himself on purpose. I hate it when actors take themselves too seriously, or at least when they give off that vibe.

Another thing I didn't like about the movie (spoiler):
Tom Cruise CANNOT kill Tim Robbins. I mean, especially for no good reason. It was embarrassing to sit there and watch Dakota Fanning sing a lullaby while her father strangles the poor man in the other room, then TWO MINUTES later she runs out of the house and they never go back. So he killed him all so they could have a half-hour's sleep before the big show-down?? Get real. (Besides, watching The Shawshank Redempton the previous night doesn't put you in a big mood to see Robbins get rubbed out.)
How can I take this losing hand and somehow win?

Just give me One Good Year To get my feet back on the ground.
I've been chasing grace; Grace ain't so easily found
One bad hand can devil a man, chase him and carry him down.
I've got to get out of here, just give me One Good Year!
Rosie Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 05:47 PM   #26
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie Gamgee
Shoot, lost the whole darn post! (I tried to post, and this.... dang. computer.....)

Well, I'll just post the last sentence:

Dumb movie. I wouldn't reccomend it to anybody, come to think of it.

p.s. Why do all aliens look alike? I mean, every alien movie features the same aliens (except, maybe for Signs and E.T.). I'm tired of looking at the big-eyed, hood-headed, four-fingered.... argh! Can't anybody be original?!
Last sentence reply. Hollywood's impending un-originality is a good subject for another thread. Notice all these "big adaptations"? epics, jane austen films starring such mediocrity as Keira Knightly or Natalie Portman and Anne Hathaway? Very unoriginal.

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide
hectorberlioz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 09:59 PM   #27
Rána Eressëa
The Rogue Elf

Since when was someone's acting ability based on whether or not they are jerks in real life?

Everyone keeps bashing Tom Cruise. So what, he's conceited and arrogant. It makes him more interesting. I don't mind if my celebrities are off-the-wall crackpots. They entertain me that way. And that's what they're there for. Entertainment. Are they not?

I loved this movie. I thought it was great. Why? Because I focused on the acting, I focused on the characters, I focused on the emotion and the turmoil and the ranking human smell about it. It was wonderful to watch and I want to watch it again.

It's a story of survival. Maybe I'm just biased, but I can't get enough of those.
Rána Eressëa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 06:23 AM   #28
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

the whole katie holmes and scientology crap is what has gotten people to dislike tom cruise as of late.

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
HOBBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 10:17 AM   #29
Rána Eressëa
The Rogue Elf

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOBBIT
the whole katie holmes and scientology crap is what has gotten people to dislike tom cruise as of late.
To be honest, I wouldn't have known about it at all if it weren't for people, well, talking so much about it. (For the most part, I tend to ignore the news concerning celebrities' personal lives.)

Last edited by Rána Eressëa : 07-31-2005 at 10:18 AM.
Rána Eressëa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 06:00 PM   #30
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rána Eressëa
To be honest, I wouldn't have known about it at all if it weren't for people, well, talking so much about it. (For the most part, I tend to ignore the news concerning celebrities' personal lives.)

I would prefer to ignore their lives too...if only I didn't see their faces plastered everywhere with screaming headlines!

I don't care what views, religions or original or un-original ideas celebrities have, I just want it out of my face. And I don't think it should be made public to the point where its all you hear about happening in hollywood.
The problem with celebrities is that their wisdom is no wiser than your local postman's, yet they all act as if they're all Ghandis or Christs that the world would fall apart without.

And I respectfully disagree about their personal lives for entertainment.
Are celebrities people? Do you see your mom's (not you specifically Rana) face on a billboard announcing her latest breakup?

Question: why do celebrities personal lives get big coverage while ours don't? It's not a matter of unfairness that I'm feeling, because I certainly don't want my life spread out on magazine covers...I just don't see whats so...necessary about it. Here again we run into a question, why do celebrities unfailingly get married and break up?..lots of people breakup, but we're talking about Julia Roberts, Britney Spears' instant made marriage (the same way Batman calls Alfred for Coffee): you know her now-husband divorced his then-wife for her...and now they've got a child. How cute...and what good models they pretend (no, they think) they are for the American Family.
It may be harmless, really, but it sure as heck is annoying.

Headlines we may see...

Jen & Vince get hitched!

Tom and Katie joyfully consent to adbduction by aliens!

With new technology Spielberg flies across moon on bike! ("Always wanted to do it")

I'm mean. But they do sound likely.

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide
hectorberlioz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 08:00 PM   #31
Rosie Gamgee
The Lovely Hobbit-Lass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rána Eressëa
Since when was someone's acting ability based on whether or not they are jerks in real life?

Everyone keeps bashing Tom Cruise. So what, he's conceited and arrogant. It makes him more interesting. I don't mind if my celebrities are off-the-wall crackpots. They entertain me that way. And that's what they're there for. Entertainment. Are they not?
When I 'bashed' Cruise as being arrogant, I didn't mean that he as an actor is (although he may be, I don't know)-- I just meant that the way he acts just oozes conceit. Nearly every character I've seen him play I didn't like because he had this arrogant way of playing them. so, maybe he's not arrogant in real life, maybe he is. I just don't find watching an arrogantly played 'good-guy' good entertainment.
How can I take this losing hand and somehow win?

Just give me One Good Year To get my feet back on the ground.
I've been chasing grace; Grace ain't so easily found
One bad hand can devil a man, chase him and carry him down.
I've got to get out of here, just give me One Good Year!
Rosie Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote