Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-15-2002, 09:31 PM   #41
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

What's with that?
I mean, even if they are wrong, you can still be a friend.

I.E. I consider inoldonil to be a g0ood friend, and He's wrong all the time!

Of course, being such a good friend as I am, I'm more than happy to tell him.

But, how do you feel (Mrs. Starr polish) about the fact that, if what you believe is true, your friends are on thier way to a eternity of suffering? That would (and does) make me feel awful.
Old 01-15-2002, 10:15 PM   #42
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
It does pain me greatly, and I've talked to all of them about it. I've even written a poem directed at one of my closest and most preciousss friends about how I feel about that very subject! I pray about and for them, but if I come off as I'm trying to 'convert' them, I'll just push them farther away.

It's Miss Starr Polish
Old 01-15-2002, 10:48 PM   #43
luinilwen
Elven Warrior

my brother became a raelian after several years of practising wicca, which has made me fairly tolerant to other peoples beliefs.

but anyway - how did a discussion on the diets of hobbits and elves (and gollum! blech!) turn into a religious discussion?

i don't think my diet's very elvish - i just had a big bowl of cocopops *burp*
luinilwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2002, 11:01 PM   #44
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
I was thinking the same thing! Hehe.
Old 01-16-2002, 11:23 AM   #45
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

you know, afro-elf, I'm not familiar with any claim that the Magyar language(s) is/are branched off from Finno-Ugaric. Interesting, considering their ancestral home....
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2002, 11:25 AM   #46
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Okay, okay, no unending suffering discussion, folks, back to the subject at hand.....

Hobbits eat bacon!
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote