Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-18-2005, 11:49 AM   #21
Elemmírë
avocatus diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juicybearfut
my opinion: i think teens have to face more stress and pressure then before. Now, all that matters is getting into college to parents, and the put more pressure on their kids to do well. "Ok" grades are no longer enough to get in. You need to take good courses, do well in them, and do tons of extracurricular activities. suicide is now the 3rd leading cause of death among teenagers, and i think stress has a big part to play.
I know what you're talking about, JBF. Of course... it doesn't end with getting into college. Honestly, that's just the beginning.

Neil Gaiman
Elemmírë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 01:30 AM   #22
gollum9630
Canadian Guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurvingiel
(I recall a course called Career and Personal Planning we had to take that was a complete waste of time.)
Ah CAPP, they are finally taking ath out and making grade 10's take a half year course on the exact same stuff. Such a waste of time and thankfully my teacher agrees and so we do nothing for CAPP and she gave us all 100% in the course. Unfortunately this grade has nothing to do with applying to colleges and universities.

Personally i find life now unbelievably stressful. I have 3 soccer practices, 3 basketball practices 2 bball games and 1 soccer game a week and on top of that i have to maintain at least an 80% average to get into a good university with 86% in language otherwise i have to write another exam just to get into most universities (thankfully the one i am applying to does not require such an exam until next year). However, i know that what i do is my choice so i cant really complain to much but i still foind it can get pretty stressful when i have exams or tests.

Wierd Harry Potter quotes

the old nintendo duck hunt game

Lemmings

Swron

Random Homer Simpson Quotes
gollum9630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 10:47 AM   #23
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

You guys think you have stress now, just wait til you have kids.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 11:16 AM   #24
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Parents can say that, but it doesn't mean the stress of people in university is any less, and just because it sucks for us, doesn't mean that the stress of kids in school is any less, or any less valid.

Besides, apparently there's a high rate of suicide at university relative to the rest of the population. And given the amount of bullying that goes on in secondary school, I say bring on the little tykes. (I probably would still get more sleep than I do right now with a newborn baby to take care of instead of academics.)

I may eat those words some day, because I do want children. But I doubt it.

EDIT: Oh yeah, so they waste your time other ways gollum9630?
The thing is, CAPP or equivelant actually could be useful. But do you know where I learned how to write a good resumé? My dad showed me. Where was I introduced to budgeting and economics, and how to interview for a job? An elective I took called Business Ed.
They should just get rid of CAPP etc. and let you take a free period.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ

Last edited by Nurvingiel : 02-19-2005 at 11:18 AM.
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 07:41 PM   #25
gollum9630
Canadian Guy.

They make us take CAPP in homeroom so eitherway niothing really changes. However it is a waste of time doing it more than once since you do the same stuff every year

Wierd Harry Potter quotes

the old nintendo duck hunt game

Lemmings

Swron

Random Homer Simpson Quotes
gollum9630 is offline   Reply With Quote