Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-14-2004, 04:58 PM   #41
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

short-term: looks and personality... usually looks first, since it tends to be why you would start talking to them in the first place... though not always the case... attractions can grow over time

long-term: it's about you, not the other person at all
Old 12-14-2004, 06:03 PM   #42
inked
Elf Lord

Evolutionarily, it is the fact that clear skin, adequate breasts, and wide hips enable a most likely successful reproducer in the female, while strong musculature and ability to evade restrictions on the part of the male suggest adaptability and significant benefits to offspring. If the elan vital were to have its way (as suggested in the early 20th century), shouldn't we all look like the persons on the covers of VOGUE and MUSCLE&FITNESS ?

Of course, the elan vital now has to contend with not mere reproduction and survivability, but also plastic surgery, rising infertility, stock portfolios, designer fragrances, ... !
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
inked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 06:13 PM   #43
Count Comfect
Word Santa Claus

Well, what inked just said clearly does explain evolutionary reasons for attraction based on looks Although a lot of "looks" is also culturally created too... and pheromones are designed for those evolutionary purposes too, to make people get together.

Manners/personality, on the other hand, are not as much evolution-driven as immediate needs. The species may be fine if you're with someone who you don't like, but you personally will definitely not be.

So I'd say all three in varying proportion by person.
Count Comfect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 06:19 PM   #44
inked
Elf Lord

Count,

I was referring to the underlying persons expressed genetics regardless of cultural affectations. I mean, French girls may not shave and still meet the criteria, right? And native Indian cultures on remote Pacific Isle certainly won't look like the cover of COSMOPOLITAN. So In the most absolutist terms, its not how well guys and gals clean up, is it? It's what under the cultural accretions that really counts!

Note, this is purely theory based. I personally like appropriate cultural trappings myself. I think both sexes agree that unwrapping is a lot of fun!
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
Old 12-14-2004, 07:06 PM   #45
Count Comfect
Word Santa Claus

OK, point taken. And a good point it is

I was referring to
Quote:
Evolutionarily, it is the fact that clear skin, adequate breasts, and wide hips enable a most likely successful reproducer in the female, while strong musculature and ability to evade restrictions on the part of the male
Old 12-15-2004, 02:46 AM   #46
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

70% looks, 20% body language, 10% smell.
Andúril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 09:39 AM   #47
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andúril
10% smell.
or lack of?
Old 12-15-2004, 10:33 AM   #48
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
Smell being pherenomes, I'm sure. I don't really like the smell of cologne on guys. It's much better if all I can smell is soap and "him." Cologne makes me gag. I don't wear perfume, either...only when for some reason I think I smell bad, and even then not very much.
Old 12-15-2004, 11:40 AM   #49
EarthBound
Lady Tipple & Queen of Blessed Thistle

I find that the smell of someone you love plays a larger part when they are no longer near you (trip, past away, gone for the moment even). It's their certain smell on a sweater, shirt, jacket, or in a room....that reminds me of them and (when a good vibe is involved) it can make me miss them, think on them, even touch the ol'heart strings.

Soooo, I think looks always play the biggest role at first, then personality keeps you together (if you have one, lol), and (smell) reminds us of them...

Happy to be here

The HACBR has been alerted to my postings…..Hobbits Against Constant Beer References

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. --Ben Franklin

I want my Mooter T-Shirt!
EarthBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 12:26 PM   #50
inked
Elf Lord

Yes,Earthbound, but also anticipatory! Remember Napolean's famous advice to Josephine? "Will be home in three weeks. Do not bathe!"

This of course confirms a long-standing French opposition to cleanliness in the general and specific case! ... and they did invent parfum did they not?

Tho' one could argue in the absence of evidence but what does that matter? that ol' Nape and Joei had exchanged "delicates" as mementos for an arduous (sic ) campaign!

Last edited by inked : 12-15-2004 at 12:28 PM.
Old 12-15-2004, 02:30 PM   #51
EarthBound
Lady Tipple & Queen of Blessed Thistle

Quote:
Originally Posted by inked
that ol' Nape and Joei had exchanged "delicates" as mementos for an arduous (sic ) campaign!

Like an affectionate pair of suspenders or an exchange of rain ponchos?

Happy to be here

The HACBR has been alerted to my postings…..Hobbits Against Constant Beer References

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. --Ben Franklin

I want my Mooter T-Shirt!

Last edited by EarthBound : 12-15-2004 at 02:31 PM.
EarthBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 02:41 PM   #52
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally Posted by inked
... and they did invent parfum did they not?
Nah, that was already in existence - those stinky egyptians were using perfumes, and scented oils well before the hairy french armpit came along.
Old 12-15-2004, 05:26 PM   #53
Beor
founder of the color blue

Youre no pants theif! HA!
Old 12-15-2004, 05:33 PM   #54
inked
Elf Lord

Earthbound,

*coughs delicately* I might have used "unmentionables". Would that have made it clearer?