Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-21-2001, 12:54 PM   #1
blackrider
Sapling

New LOTR Fantic Ebook Needs Help + LOTR Questions.....

Hi all,
I'm starting a ebook to carry on where LOTR left off and have already come up with some interesting storylines.

If you'd like to help out with the writing, consider yourself a good "tolkien ghostwriter" or think you might have some good storylines/character names/place names please email me at: markthehbbit@hotmail.com or leave a message/your suggestion(s) here. Thanks very much.

Also i have some questions and would really appreciate it if you could direct me to a website/chapter in a book. I need a MORE DETAILED account of the following things than the silmarillion and LOTR offers:

1. Saurons coming to be the dark lord in the 1st place
2. Saurons drowning at Neumenor
3. Gandalf's coming to be in middle-earth in 1st place
4. What Gandalf means by being "the servant of the secret fire"
5. How Sauron escaped from the void when Melkor (Morgoth) could not.
6. Did Morgoth (predecessor to Sauron) have his own ring?
7. What is the "spindle ring"?
8. Why did the ring have no power over Tom Bombadil?
9. What is Tom Bombadil? Is he a (demi-) god?
10. What is Goldberry? Is she Bombadil's "queen" (as is known to the Valiar).

* Oh and did Sauron's parents separate when he was a child? AS He seems to show signs of Maternal Deprivation Disorder.

Thanks,
Mark.
blackrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2001, 01:31 PM   #2
Darth Tater
The man

I don't mean this to be offensive, but you obviously don't have an appreciation or understanding of the source material if you're asking about Sauron's parents. The events after LOTR are chronicled in great detail in the appendices, and the events that go beforehand in many books including the Silmarillion, but also the great big unfinishable HoMe series.
Darth Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2001, 03:47 AM   #3
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

Mark, I deleted this topic in the LotR forum. Generally the same people visit both forums, so you'll be fine with the thread just here. Besides, I think to answer your list many (like myself) would need more than just the LotR on hand.

I'm trying to do some short answers to your questions, but they are not easy. I think reading up on the Akallabeth and Of the Rings of Power and the Third Age in The Silmarillion would be of great help to you. It covers the business of him becoming the Dark Lord, and of Númenor. Other questions of yours have no definite (known) answers, like Bombadil and Goldberry.
Old 12-22-2001, 08:32 AM   #4
blackrider
Sapling

questions....

Sorry, i didn't mean to upset by double posting. I will not do it again.

Oh and the bit about Sauron's parents was a joke. I know he was a Maiar. Its a pyschology thing.

As for the questions i have read the whole of the silmarillion and as such have come up with my own answers to some the questions, which i did not say on purpose as that generally just leads to people saying yes they agree or not.

Take Gandalf the Grey who (although not completely certain) is most probably of the order of Maiar, being the one called Olorin. Why dwelt in Lorien, which would make sense for Galadriel's sorrow at his loss was obvious, and if he was Olorin that would have known each other for centuries.

I also have some more questions:

1. Why are there 2 different "breeds" of men (ie. the Numenoreans who live long and the normal men.)? As it is these to types breading that makes the surviving Numenoreans loose their traits of long life and strength.

2. Does anyone know of any complete timelines/chronologies for Middle Earth from the creation to the end of the 4th age? As so far i have only come across ones that cover LOTR.

3. Anyone know where there is a map of the world of the eldar days (before the burning of the 2 great torches)? And also one of the 4th age, after LOTR.

4. Where there any other breeds of Valaraukar? Belrogs were just one type.

Thanks,
Mark.
Old 12-22-2001, 08:49 AM   #5
blackrider
Sapling

sorry....

sorry see here for my errr misplaced reply.
http://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/show...2566#post42566

(edit it, and put it here if u can plz).

Thanks,
Mark.
Old 12-22-2001, 06:23 PM   #6
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Saruman was the leader of the Istari.

Olorin dwelt in lorien in valinor, not Lothlorien in middle earth.

Numenoreans have elven and maian blood.

The best timelines are in the appendices, but they only go to the beginning of the 4A.

There is a map of the world, but I don't know where it is.

Valaraukar=Balrog. Vala=Bal and Raukar=Rog There were possibly other demons, but no other valaraukar.

Anything else?
Old 12-24-2001, 02:03 AM   #7
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

I merged the threads as you can see. It didn't come out perfectly, but it's better than nothing.
Old 12-31-2001, 04:30 AM   #8
Michael Martinez
Elven Loremaster

Mark, while I appreciate the enthusiasm which goes into writing fan fiction, your questions reveal such a light grasp of the fundamentals of the stories that I don't feel you're ready for this. I strongly recommend you take the time to reread The Silmarillion and The Lord of the Rings.

However, you will also find that many of your questions will be adequately answered if you buy a copy of Robert Foster's The Complete Guide to Middle-earth. It's a bit outdated but is still a very good glossary for those two books.
Michael Martinez is offline   Reply With Quote