Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-09-2001, 02:57 PM   #21
Dfsg
Sapling

I was in denial forever about Gandalf's "death"

But I sorta was starting to accept it. One bad thing though is that i read very slow, so it was bout 1 week later that I actually figured out what happened to him.

And good thing. Down with Sauroman!

Hey bram, thats a great story about you and gandalf. You never told me that before!
Dfsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2001, 03:05 PM   #22
Gandalf
Hobbit

You never asked :-).

*sighs*
I have so many good memories of my first time reading LOTR ... there were times I dreamt I was walking down a great road with trees knowing that something was following me, making me afraid, knowing that that something was a ringwraiths *shivers* Oh the memories.
Gandalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2001, 08:54 PM   #23
Sakata
Elven Warrior

Strider

yes ringbearer, a very rough week

-Dare you venture into Gollum's Lair?

JESUS LIVES!
Sakata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2001, 04:51 AM   #24
andustar
Elven Warrior

count yourself lucky I had longer
And to cap it all, just when I had FINALLY got hold of it in my school library and was reading it in 'library lessons' and lunchtimes--- it was to heavy to take home ---SOMEONE TOOK IT OUT!!!!! and left me stranded AGAIN but in Return of the King! that's when I finally cracked and bought it
Old 09-20-2001, 09:07 PM   #25
ragnor
Sapling

the first time i read the LOTR i hoped Gandalf would return. what i did not know at the time was that he would be in spirit and much more powerful. he like most of the main characters grew in stature and promise. the quest brought out the best in them as their best was needed time and time again. gandalf was so central to the entire story, the above change in him only intrigued me more as i continued to read.
ragnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2001, 12:47 AM   #26
ringbearer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by ragnor
the first time i read the LOTR i hoped Gandalf would return. what i did not know at the time was that he would be in spirit and much more powerful. he like most of the main characters grew in stature and promise. the quest brought out the best in them as their best was needed time and time again. gandalf was so central to the entire story, the above change in him only intrigued me more as i continued to read.
I do not think he returned "in spirit" (like Obi-wan) He returned more powerfull.

Hide Witch, hide!
The Good Folks come to burn thee!
Their keen enjoyment hid behind
A Gothic mask of duty!
ringbearer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2001, 09:52 PM   #27
crow
Hobbit

Location: Connecticut, USA, though I suspect my soul longs for another place. Oxford, say.
I feel as though there has never been a time when I have not known how the story goes, even though I didn't discover Tolkien until I was 8 or 9. However, I vaguely recall not being at all worried about Gandalf's fall when I first read the Fellowship. Odd, that. Maybe the idea of Gandalf being defeated and permanently gone was just too unrealistic for me to take seriously.
crow is offline   Reply With Quote