Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-31-2004, 02:01 AM   #21
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurvingiel
Well we can do that do. But if you leave part of your ballot blank, do they record this? If so, then it really means something, you're not just spoiling your ballot.
The count the rest of the ballot. The ballot isn't a bad ballot - it just means that you chose not to vote for a certain position - whether it's your mayor, sheriff, freeholders, city council or what ever. You leave any part of your ballot blank and only vote for those things you wish to.

Quote:
Fair enough. I still think it would be fine if abstention was an option too. As Millane said, (paraphrase) they are really only forcing you to show up at the voting place. You are still free to spoil your ballot, abstain (I hope) or vote for someone.
Why? Isn't it my choice if I even want to go to the polls or not?

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004, 02:21 AM   #22
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseydevil
The count the rest of the ballot. The ballot isn't a bad ballot - it just means that you chose not to vote for a certain position - whether it's your mayor, sheriff, freeholders, city council or what ever. You leave any part of your ballot blank and only vote for those things you wish to.
That makes sense. Here, the votes you do make count, but I also think the vote you do not make should be recorded officially. It wouldn't determine who formed the government, but it will still matter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseydevil
Why? Isn't it my choice if I even want to go to the polls or not?
On this point alone we differ. Since this thread is ultimately about voter turnout, I think it makes sense to discuss here what would improve voter torunout.

I was unable to vote in the last election due to a combination of factors:

1. I was living far enough from my home town that I had to mail in a ballot. This process was not very well explained anywhere, even when I talked to someone on the phone, so I thought it worked differently than it really did.
2. The town where I was working had a questionable and slow mail service.
3. I spent a lot of my summer in the middle of the forest with no access to phone, internet, or snail mail.

And I really wanted to vote too - on the night of the election I was seriously afraid that Stephen Harper would become Prime Minister. *shudders*

The above three factors resulted in me not being able to vote, and believe me I tried my darndest. I felt guilty that I should be foiled by paperwork, when people in Afghanistan were risking their lives to register to vote. My confusion was a sad comparison to the bravery of the Afghan voters.

I would support compulsory voting if two conditions were in place, because I feel it would improve the democratic process. I know you feel you have a right to not go to the polling station at all, but think of it this way. You have to renew your passport, driver's liscence, etc. and it's required. You don't have the right to drive without renewing your liscence. It's not completely analagous (because driving is a priviledge anyway) but why shouldn't you have to participate in the government from which you get social services, protection, etc?

The two conditions are:
1. Abstention is an option. Then people wouldn't feel discouraged that all they can do is spoil their ballot if they don't like the candidates. With abstention, their message that no one was good enough is official. It is counted, and heeded. People will feel like their vote really matters.
2. Since it is now mandatory, it is now the government's responsibility to make it as easy as possible for everyone to vote. People who live in remote areas, people away from their permanent adress, etc. The three things that happened to me (plus anything else that currently is a pain for some voters) should no longer be issues.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ

Last edited by Nurvingiel : 10-31-2004 at 02:24 AM.
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004, 02:47 AM   #23
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurvingiel
I would support compulsory voting if two conditions were in place, because I feel it would improve the democratic process. I know you feel you have a right to not go to the polling station at all, but think of it this way. You have to renew your passport, driver's liscence, etc. and it's required. You don't have the right to drive without renewing your liscence. It's not completely analagous (because driving is a priviledge anyway) but why shouldn't you have to participate in the government from which you get social services, protection, etc?
As I was going to say - I don't have to renew my license or my passport. My passport is expired now anyway. But you say - why should you get social services if you don't participate in electing the representatives - but then why do illegal aliens and non-citizens get these social services? (and I'm not saying illegal aliens or non-citizens should vote in US elections - I thinik everyone knows my position on that one) But then again - I don't feel that the services are tied to whether you vote or not - just that you have given your choice to your neighbor or some stranger. You can be in a class discussion on what action should be taken on some subject - you have a choice - either speak your mind or keep quiet. It's your choice. Samy thing with voting.
Quote:
The two conditions are:
1. Abstention is an option. Then people wouldn't feel discouraged that all they can do is spoil their ballot if they don't like the candidates. With abstention, their message that no one was good enough is official. It is counted, and heeded. People will feel like their vote really matters.
2. Since it is now mandatory, it is now the government's responsibility to make it as easy as possible for everyone to vote. People who live in remote areas, people away from their permanent adress, etc. The three things that happened to me (plus anything else that currently is a pain for some voters) should no longer be issues.
Here voting is determined locally - the federal government has no role in the elections - other than what is contained in the Constitution. Polling times, locations, rules, voting machines - are all state and local issues.

I also don't think that people should have to declare that none of the candidates were good enough - because for a lot of people - no one other than someone that beleives with everything they do would be good enough. It doesn't mean anything. For me - neither Bush nor Kerry is good enough - but I agree with bush more. There are things with Colin Powell I disagree with - such as affirmative action. There are most likely things I disagree with with Condelleeza Rice also. (Those are two people I would like to see run).

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 10-31-2004 at 02:50 AM.
jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote