Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-31-2001, 01:38 PM   #21
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Hobbits... as a race of men, go 'outside'.
Wayfarer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2001, 02:51 PM   #22
arynetrek
Elf Lord

thanks!

aryne *
arynetrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2001, 06:04 PM   #23
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

Quote:
well, we know for sure four of the fellowship did die - boromir, merry, pippin, & aragorn.
All of them did, except for Legolas. For all mortals must die. Frodo and Sam and Gimli going over Sea means they would actually die sooner than they would in Middle-earth, but that they would die in peace. Gandalf died on Zirak-zigil, but returned. That leaves Legolas only.
Old 11-01-2001, 08:32 AM   #24
Kirinki54
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Inoldonil

All of them did, except for Legolas. For all mortals must die. Frodo and Sam and Gimli going over Sea means they would actually die sooner than they would in Middle-earth, but that they would die in peace.
Is this certain? The average reader of LotR (and I can count myself to them) do get the impression that another fate awaits especially the Ringbearers. At least they would not die earlier!

I guess you can cough up a quote or two from Letters on this issue?
Kirinki54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2001, 11:27 PM   #25
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

The idea that mortals life in Valinor was quickened is implied in The Silmarillion, perhaps the Akallabêth can be looked at, near the end of the chapter. I may be wrong about that. But they certainly do not meet a different fate.

The Letters I do indeed hold dear. This quote comes from Letter # 154 and was coincidentally sent in 1954:
Quote:
... in this story it is supposed that there may be certain rare exceptions or accommodations [concerning mortality vs. 'immortality' and the like] (legitimately supposed? there always seem to be exceptions); and so certain 'mortals', who have played some great part in Elvish affairs, may pass with the Elves to Elvenhome. Thus Frodo (by the express gift of Arwen) and Bilbo, and eventually Sam (as adumbrated by Frodo); and as a unique exception Gimli the Dwarf, as friend of Legolas and 'servant' of Galadriel.

I have said nothing about it in this book, but the mythical idea underlying is that for mortals, since their 'kind' cannot be changed for ever, this is strictly only a temporary reward: a healing and redress of suffering. They cannot abide for ever, and though they cannot return to mortal earth, they can and will 'die' -- of free will, and leave the world. (In this setting the return of Arthur would be quite impossible, a vain imagining.)
The following is from # 325 and was written in 1971, two years before it's author's death:
Quote:
As for Frodo or other mortals, they could only dwell in Aman for a limited time -- whether brief or long. The Valar had neither the power nor the right to confer 'immortality' upon them. Their sojourn was a 'purgatory', but one of peace and healing and they would eventually pass away (die at their own desire and of free will) to destinations of which the Elves knew nothing.
I found this by looking up 'Mortality' in the extremely helpful Index. I'd be lost without it.

The strong implication in these passages is that I'm totally wrong about mortals dying sooner in Aman than they would in Middle-earth.