Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-05-2004, 10:19 AM   #1
LuthienTinuviel
protector of orphaned rabbits

mock weddings

my family living class ( i know.. me, in a family living class.. but hey i needed the credit)
anyway, my family living class is putting on a mock wedding to try and scare us from growing old and getting married.

I'm on the music and photos commitees.. this means that I've got to do a report on music that is played at weddings around the world.
So, this is where you wonderful, awesome, intelligent, and I must say... good looking people come into play.
If you aren't from the USA, what kind of music is played at a traditional wedding in your country?
If you are from the USA, what kind of music did you have at your wedding?

thanks for yer help
Old 05-05-2004, 10:27 AM   #2
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

My grandmother hired a violinist for my parent's wedding. I mean I don't remember, since I wasn't around yet.

I went to a non-catholic wedding that had... country music... *choke*

I know the Ave Maria is a VERY popular song for weddings. I mean EVERYONE had some one sing Ave Maria at their wedding.
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 10:37 AM   #3
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

My wife had read something about 'The Wedding March' (you know - the traditional 'Here Comes the Bride' music) that she didn't like - so we had all classical music. Our recessional was 'Ode to Joy' (also known as 'Joyful, Joyful' - and for some crazy reason, used for 'Die Hard' ) by Beethoven.

A few years later, my wife and I attended another wedding which used mostly classical music. The program listed 'Throne Room' as the recessional. When we got to that point... it was the 'Star Wars' music from when Luke, Han and Chewbacca get their medals from Princess Leia - in the original SW movie. Everyone was looking around at each other, not sure if it was OK to laugh, or pretend to acknowledge it or what... pretty hilarious. Turned out the couple were Star Wars fans - and had a life-size Bobba Fett cutout for taking photos with at the reception.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 11:52 AM   #4
Beruthiel's cat
mystical divinity of Unashamed Felinity

Location: New York's beautiful North Coast -- we're all mad here!!!
I'm sure Hector will find this interesting...

In my youth, everything was very non-traditional at weddings. Even my Lutheran college classmates were bucking tradition and using non-traditional music and arrangements (there were a lot of weddings out in the middle of meadows in those days, with barefoot brides and grooms and guests in caftans...but I digress...).

I married a church musician, so it was a big deal to him. We had Handel's "Water Music" for the precessional and recessional and several hymns interspersed throughout the service. His brother was an excellent guitarist, so we had a soloist sing Paul Stookey's "The Wedding Song" to his accompaniment. We also lit a wedding (unity) candle, which was very unusual in those days, but everybody does it now...

And we wrote our own vows. Most folks don't bother with that these days.

Unfortunately, he and I parted ways (after 21 years...). But it really was a nice wedding!

"Never try to out-stubborn a cat!" -- R. Heinlein

~~~~~~~~~

"But I don't want to be among mad people, " Alice remarked.
"Oh, but you can't help that," said the Cat; "We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here." ~~ Lewis Carroll

~~~~~~~~~~~

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana...
Beruthiel's cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 07:59 PM   #5
Mercutio

Quote:
Originally posted by Valandil
My wife had read something about 'The Wedding March' (you know - the traditional 'Here Comes the Bride' music) that she didn't like - so we had all classical music. Our recessional was 'Ode to Joy' (also known as 'Joyful, Joyful' - and for some crazy reason, used for 'Die Hard' ) by Beethoven.
If you knew what the original words to that Beethoven symphony (with Ode to Joy) you may have thought twice about it. A little...weird...

Interested in C.S. Lewis? Visit the forum dedicated
to one of Tolkien's greatest contemporaries.
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 08:16 PM   #6
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

I don't know about this mock wedding thing ("scare us from growing old and getting married"?? ) but I think every highschooler (and come to think of it, jr. high too) should go thru a mock baby scenario. Just caring for a pretend baby for 1 day is a real eye-opener!!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 11:30 PM   #7
Bombadillo
"The Bomb"

I was going to say that "Ode to Joy" was an excellent choice for a bride walking the aisle, but now I have to know what's wierd about it.

LT, my uncle had one song played at the service when he married my aunt: "Goin' to the Chapel." Maybe he's a bit of a hick from the mountains in rural Pennsylvania.

EDIT: When someone with Irish heritige dies, the funeral=bagpipes. Are they played at the weddings too?

Last edited by Bombadillo : 05-05-2004 at 11:32 PM.
Bombadillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 11:59 PM   #8
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

If anyone ever has the choice of Wagner's wedding march or Mendelssohn's wedding march, and chooses Wagner's over Mendelssonh's, that person shall NOT have a wedding, but will thereupon be shot, drugged, hung, persecuted for the rest of his/her's existence.
But if you just feel like having Pachelbel's canon in D or some Handel played at your wedding, thats just fine with me
In the U.S. or any other civilized country, only Classical Music should be played at weddings, the thought of country( ) music bieng played at a wedding is a bit far out for me to imagine...

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide

Last edited by hectorberlioz : 05-06-2004 at 12:02 AM.
hectorberlioz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 12:30 AM   #9
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

I once played Joy to the World in a trumpet trio for a wedding the week before Christmas. The bride (who was also my band director, which explains how I got to play the trumpet) didn't like the traditional recessional. Apparently, she didn't like her new husband too much either, because the engagement lasted 9 or 10 months longer than the marriage (and they were engaged a year), but that's another story...

I have played the piano at weddings and at every wedding I've played in, I've played Wagner's processional, Mendelssohn's recessional, Bach's Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring, Trumpet Voluntary, and Pachebel's Canon in D. During the prelude, I have also played Air from Handel's Water Music Suite and contemporary songs like My Heart Will Go On from Titanic and I Will Be Here by Steven Curtis Chapman.

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 11:41 AM   #10
sun-star
Lady of Letters

Quote:
Originally posted by Bombadillo
EDIT: When someone with Irish heritige dies, the funeral=bagpipes. Are they played at the weddings too?
Irish or Scottish?
For centuries to come, when not a soul
Is left to picnic on the blazing rocks,
When England is not England, when mankind
Has blown himself to pieces. Still the sea,
Consolingly disastrous, will return
While the strange starfish, hugely magnified,
Waits in the jewelled basin of a pool.
sun-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 05:40 PM   #11
Mercutio

Quote:
Originally posted by hectorberlioz
In the U.S. or any other civilized country, only Classical Music should be played at weddings, the thought of country( ) music bieng played at a wedding is a bit far out for me to imagine...
Groan. Hectorberlioz and country music .

I'll make sure I have an oboist at my wedding...but then again they'd have to be better than me . That wouldn't be hard though! Maybe my first oboe teacher...hmm...she'd love to play... *drifts off into imagination land*

IMHO, classical music is the only type "appropriate" for weddings.

And I'd also want to get married in a really nice old, stone church. With a real pipe organ and a marvelous organist.

Oboe and organ--what a combination.

Interested in C.S. Lewis? Visit the forum dedicated
to one of Tolkien's greatest contemporaries.
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 06:32 PM   #12
Tuor of Gondolin
Elf Lord

How about "Prisoners of Love" from the end of the movie The Producers, with Gene Wilder and Zero Mostel.

Hmm. Wonder what music Luthien Tinuviel and Beren had played.

Take Back America

Aure entuluva!
Tuor of Gondolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 07:02 PM   #13
LuthienTinuviel
protector of orphaned rabbits

oi.. country...
i've been to a few of those weddings...

rian, we do have a baby-care course .. it's a different class though..
the 'babydolls' cost about 200$ or more a piece, and they have a little micro chip that records everything you do (like if you drop it on accident, let it cry, let it get too hot)
if it does cry or need it's diaper changed, you've got a little set of keys that get jammed into the small of the back.

it's a little scary that you can stick a hard peice of plastic into it's spine to make it stop crying....
Old 05-07-2004, 11:52 AM   #14
Fat middle
Mootis per forum
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by hectorberlioz
But if you just feel like having Pachelbel's canon in D or some Handel played at your wedding, thats just fine with me
Hehe, that's always good as far as you don't choose Haendel's Hallelluya. It could be take as offensive to the bride

In Spain it's normal to have Mendelssohn's (more than Wagner's) wedding march.

Schubert's Ave Maria is also common.

People with some taste often choose Mozart's Ave Verum and Vitoria's Ave Maria.
Old 05-07-2004, 12:00 PM   #15
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally posted by LuthienTinuviel
rian, we do have a baby-care course .. it's a different class though..
the 'babydolls' cost about 200$ or more a piece, and they have a little micro chip that records everything you do (like if you drop it on accident, let it cry, let it get too hot)
if it does cry or need it's diaper changed, you've got a little set of keys that get jammed into the small of the back.
Good, I think it's a great idea! It's a real eye-opener, IMO. It seems like some girls have babies because they "just want someone to love", and don't quite realize that the baby is a person, and one that needs 24/7 care for quite a long time. The first time that you're out in a store with your baby and you have to go to the bathroom and the only bathroom around is a little tiny one that has NO room for a stroller is a real eye-opener (you just have to hold the baby on your lap! You can't leave them unattended in a stroller outside of the bathroom.)

Quote:
it's a little scary that you can stick a hard peice of plastic into it's spine to make it stop crying....
True

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 12:03 PM   #16
Fat middle
Mootis per forum
Administrator

I've just checked what will be the music pieces in our Prince Felipe's (the heir to the throne) wedding next 22nd. It is said that the pieces have been chosen by our Queen, and I must say it is a very beautiful selection.

It will begin with Haendel's Organ Concert op.7 n.3. I love really that!

The rest will be pieces by two important Spanish composers from the Rennaiscense (sp?): Victoria and Morales. Very nice. And also pieces by Mozart and Arriaga (who is said to be "the spaniard Mozart"). Also very nice.

And finally... Haendel's Halleluya! LOL I think it's a touch of humor , but more on the Prince since it was about time for him to marry

I don't think I'd watch the ceremony, but I'd buy the CD