Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Harry Potter
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-08-2003, 09:10 PM   #1
Nutasarëiel
Sapling

the Quote (Spoilers)

This excerpt has been released to the public:

Dumbledore lowered his hands and surveyed Harry through his half-moon glasses.
"It is time," he said, "for me to tell you what I should have told you five years ago, Harry. Please sit down. I am going to tell you everything."

I have an idea about this. What is the one thing that still remains a major mystery in the plot of the story? It's, Why did Voldemort want to kill Harry and his father to begin with (and why was his mother not meant to die)? I have a feeling that this is what the excerpt is about. I remember at one point in the first book (I don't remember the context) Harry asked Dumbledore about this, and he responded that he would tell him when he got older. I'm not even going to try to make my own explanation of why Voldemort did what he did, but it's a start. What do you think? Any other theories?
Nutasarëiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2003, 09:43 PM   #2
Nutasarëiel
Sapling

looking at other posts, i noticed this has been talked about a bit, but just to expand it.
Nutasarëiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2003, 07:11 PM   #3
gimli7410
the dumb stoner canuck

maybe he predicted that harry would be his downfall so he tried to kill him and that was his downfall
"Trying is the first step to failure" Homer Simpson
"It isn't going to be easy"-jerseydevil
"only the good die young"
I AM CANADIAN

If the people lead, the leaders will follow.
gimli7410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2003, 07:31 PM   #4
ArwenEvenstar
Elf Lord

let's not forget that Voldemort's not dead yet though.
Old 05-09-2003, 11:03 PM   #5
SamwiseGamgeeOTS
Elven Warrior

Location: A quaint little hole which last time I checked was somewhere near Ohio, Middle-Earth.
i think that dumbledore's gonna tell him that his mother died because she was meant to. they knew voldemort was coming that night...and harry's related to godric gryffindor....and crap like that. but that's just what i think....
Old 05-10-2003, 03:23 PM   #6
Lalaith_Elf
Her Infernal Majesty

the best thing ever would be if dumbledore told harry he is related to voldemort..... would it just be so funny
"It is a good viewpoint to see the world as a dream. When you have something like a nightmare, you will wake up and tell yourself that it was only a dream. It is said that the world we live in is not a bit different from this." - Yamamoto Tsunetomo
Lalaith_Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2003, 12:21 PM   #7
Legolas
Elven Warrior

Harry *is* the heir of Gryffindor. Now, to completely destroy the spirit of Godric Gryffindor, one has to kill two of his heirs in a row, i.e. a father and a son. This is what Voldemort was trying to do - kill Harry and James Potter so that the spirit of Godric Gryffindor would be annihilated and he could easily make Hogwarts a school of dark arts.

I *know* this. Where from? Let it be my secret, unless you figure it out
Old 05-11-2003, 12:42 PM   #8
Elf Girl
Lurker

Yeah, you know it.

Harry is the heir of Voldy because: (as I have said in two threads now)

It would give purpose to Harry's conflict in Book 2 about whether he belonged in Slytherin or Gryffindor. Also, in Book 1 Dumbledore said Harry was "not ready to hear" why Voldemort wanted to kill him. I don't think being the heir of Gryffindor would have such a dramatic effect on Harry that Dumbledore would have to wait, whereas being related to Voldemort definately would.
Elf Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2004, 11:47 AM   #9
Lalaith_Elf
Her Infernal Majesty

The way I see it is that on his father's side, Harry is related to Godric, and on his mother's side there is somehow a relation to Voldy and the Slytherin side. Hence the reason that Voldy allegedly never wanted to kill Lily, only James and Harry. If there wasn't a connection to Slytherin on Lily's side, then Voldy would have killed her. She did have muggle parents and Voldy is renouned for not likeing muggles, plus she was on 'the good side' which is another reason to kill her.
"It is a good viewpoint to see the world as a dream. When you have something like a nightmare, you will wake up and tell yourself that it was only a dream. It is said that the world we live in is not a bit different from this." - Yamamoto Tsunetomo
Old 04-01-2004, 04:00 PM   #10
sun-star
Lady of Letters

But he did kill her... so if she was connected to Slytherin (which I'm prepared to believe) it can't have been important enough to keep her alive...
For centuries to come, when not a soul
Is left to picnic on the blazing rocks,
When England is not England, when mankind
Has blown himself to pieces. Still the sea,
Consolingly disastrous, will return
While the strange starfish, hugely magnified,
Waits in the jewelled basin of a pool.
sun-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2004, 12:18 PM   #11
Lalaith_Elf
Her Infernal Majesty

But it would have been more important to kill every single heir of Gryffindor than keep one relation to Slytherin alive. He wasn't going to kill her, it's just that she got in his way!
Old 04-22-2004, 09:40 PM   #12
Fimbrethil
My microwave speaks to me

Location: Having conversations with my major household appliances.
Quote:
Originally posted by Lalaith_Elf
The way I see it is that on his father's side, Harry is related to Godric, and on his mother's side there is somehow a relation to Voldy and the Slytherin side. Hence the reason that Voldy allegedly never wanted to kill Lily, only James and Harry. If there wasn't a connection to Slytherin on Lily's side, then Voldy would have killed her. She did have muggle parents and Voldy is renouned for not likeing muggles, plus she was on 'the good side' which is another reason to kill her.
Probably drugging up the past since we all know where and what and why this qoute was put in there. But I have a bone to pick.

Alot of you have said this is related to this and that is realated to that. It would be very poor of JKR to make people realted liek that. Just hink about it excluding all you WANT to happen and you'll see what I mean.

You could look at the whole "I don't want you I want the boy!" thing two ways. If you go back and read POA you'll hear that James stayed in the room to fight Voldemort ot give Lily a chance to run. Who's to say he wanted James at all? But then(forget which book) somehting is said that Dumbldore knew Voldemort had been after the Potter family for quite some time. Something to that effect. He never wanted Lily and I don't thin khe really cared if he killed James or not. It was like he was caught in the moment his brain was on warp speed thinking all I want is the boy. Harry was finnally in his grasp and he wanted him so bad he oculd taste it later he would probably gone back to killing and to ensure that something like that didn't happen again he would probably have killed Harry. Think about all that's happened htough. Do you still think Harry is related to Voldemort? Becasue like I said it would very poor of JKR to do that. It's an old move and with all the creative stuff she's done s ofar with these books I'd hate to have her do this and I would, personnally, lose all respect for her as a writer.
Yes sir, yes sir. Three bags full.

I'll be gone for a while. But never fear! "I shall return anon!"
Fimbrethil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 09:20 PM   #13
Rhëtit
Sapling

Personally, I dont' think anything will be resolved until the last book. I'm not really sure on where I stand about the whole Voldemort relation thing, but that really seems rather predicatable and I'll admit that would be a little bit dissapointing.