Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-11-2003, 02:37 PM   #1
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Swedish Minister murdered

CNN.com

The Swedish foreign minister Anna Lindh died early this morning after being stabbed repeatedly yesterday by an unknown man.
It is a shame that politicians who represent the people are targeted and killed by madmen just like that. The murderer who stabbed Mrs. Lindh to death did not only attack a popular Swedish minister, but he attacked our open society and our democracy as well.
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2003, 02:47 PM   #2
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

That's terrible. But why would somebody want to do that? (do you have assumption?)

It happened here too... 8 years ago... our prime minister (Isac Rabin) was murdured by a man. He was murdured in Tel Aviv, by three bullets, one of them in his heart. The murderer was judged to be in prison for the rest of his life.
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2003, 02:59 PM   #3
Jonathan

Quote:
Originally posted by Radagast The Brown
That's terrible. But why would somebody want to do that? (do you have assumption?)
It could have to do with the referendum on Sunday in which Sweden is to decide whether or not we should introduce the euro or not. Lindh was a pro-euro campaigner, so it is possible that an activist who didn't want the euro murdered her. But the motive will probably not be revealed until the perpetrator is caught.

Quote:
Originally posted by Radagast The Brown
It happened here too... 8 years ago... our prime minister (Isac Rabin) was murdured by a man. He was murdured in Tel Aviv, by three bullets, one of them in his heart. The murderer was judged to be in prison for the rest of his life.
It has happened in Sweden before, 17 years ago when our Prime Minister Olof Palme was shot down. Many people still remembers it as if it was yesterday.
And a few months ago the Serbian Prime Minister Zoran Djindjic was killed by a sniper. And the leader of a Dutch party, Pim Fortuyn, was shot by a political activist last year.

It is always shocking when things like this happen.
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Old 09-11-2003, 03:01 PM   #4
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Re: Swedish Minister murdered

I've been waiting for you to put up this thread, Jon. I feel terribly sorry. I hope they'll quickly find the one who killed her.

Quote:
... but he attacked our open society and our democracy as well.
But do you think that was intentional? Anyway, I do not think it will be much change in the long run. Things have turned back to a normal state after Olof Palme was killed.
Old 09-11-2003, 03:03 PM   #5
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Quote:
Originally posted by Jonathan
It could have to do with the referendum on Sunday in which Sweden is to decide whether or not we should introduce the euro or not.
Do you really think so? What a cause to kill for.
Old 09-11-2003, 03:06 PM   #6
Jonathan

Re: Re: Swedish Minister murdered

Quote:
Originally posted by Artanis
But do you think that was intentional? Anyway, I do not think it will be any change in the long run. Things have turned back to a normal state after Olof Palme was killed.
Personally, I don't think that the killer had planned the murder. I believe he just happened to be there, and decided on the spot to kill the minister when he saw her.
Things had turned back to normal after Palme was murdered, but now the old wounds have been opened. I visited Palme's gravestone and the place where he was shot (he was killed only a few yards from where he would be buried later) and people have put lots of flowers there, to show that they was reminded by his murder today.
Old 09-11-2003, 04:19 PM   #7
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

I'm very sorry to hear that, Jonathan

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2003, 04:25 PM   #8
LuthienTinuviel
protector of orphaned rabbits

im sorry jonathan...
Old 09-11-2003, 06:27 PM   #9
Ruinel
Banned

I'm sorry about the death of your foreign minister, Anna Lindh.
Ruinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2003, 08:22 PM   #10
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

I was also waiting for you to put this up.

You know how I feel. I think it's terrible - but people do crazy things for their own selfish reasons. Look at 9/11, look at abortion clinic bombings, look at the palestinian homicide bombers .

What makes your foreign ministers death more terrible, if it was politically motivated, is that this one person has taken away the rights of the majority or at the very least the rights of her supporters. In a democratic and free society we have courts, laws, representation - as well as the ability to vote - but sometimes a madman tries to force their opinions by killing their "opponents" or killing the people who don't support their views.

Sorry for your country and especially her family - she seemed to be very well liked and very open from the interviews of citizens of Stockholm I saw.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2003, 09:00 PM   #11
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

As I watched some of the 9/11 memorials today, I saw this tragic news. She was in surgery most of the night, and still didn't survive. It's a true pity and crime. She seemed like quite a lady. I surely hope that justice is done when they catch her killer.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2003, 05:40 PM   #12
Falagar
Death of Mooters and [Entmoot] Internal Affairs

There has been a lot of articles on it in Norwegian newspapers, I am terribly sorry.

Last edited by Falagar : 09-12-2003 at 05:41 PM.
Falagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2003, 01:51 PM   #13
durin's bane
Lady of Westernesse

That's awful, Jonathan. From what I've heard, she was a very well-liked person.
Old 01-14-2004, 01:25 PM   #14
Jonathan

The trial against the confessed killer of Anna Lindh began today. It's the first trial to be broadcasted (however indirectly) live on tv in Sweden. So I followed the trial all morning and listened to what was said.
The suspect, the 25-year old Mijailo Mijailovic, said he heard voices in his head which told him to stab the Foreign Minister. He also claims that there were no political reasons for the stabbing and that he didn't attack her with the intent to actually kill her.

There's more about it here.

The trial will continue tomorrow and some key witnesses are going to testify.
Old 01-14-2004, 01:41 PM   #15
Ruinel
Banned

hmmm... the old 'insanity plea'.
Ruinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 06:03 PM   #16
Nerdanel
Spammer of the Happy Thread

We wervery affected by the murder of Anna Lindh. Actually, many people here in "swedish-speaking Finland" know more about Sweden and the politicians there than our own. Our foreign minister knew her well, and we actually held a minute's silence in school. She was a wonderful person.

I truly hope Mijailovic will get the help he needs. Obviously, we haven't succeeded in having a good and sufficient psychiatic care in many parts of Europe. Hope we'll learn something from this.

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page
Nerdanel is offline   Reply With Quote