Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-22-2001, 04:12 PM   #1
fatclown
Hobbit

Gandalf Hilarious test. Question 13 i like the best

Beginning Questions
1. Just exactly what was the nature of the friendship between Gimli and Legolas?

2. If Aragorn had the option, would he have ditched the Fellowship for a date with Pamela Anderson?

3. Why didn't Gandalf just blow up the armies that got in his way, if he was so powerful?

4. How many times is the word "passed" used in LotR? (No peeking!)

5. What exactly was in lembas? (Hint: in Letters #210, JRRT says quite explicitly that lembas is not a "food concentrate".)

6. Why didn't the hobbits in the Shire rise against Sharkey and his men sooner? (Were Frodo, Sam and the lads a cut above hobbitdom and thus extraordinary?)

7. If Aragorn truly spent uncounted years as a lone Ranger, then where the hell is Tonto? And why doesn't he wear that mask?

8. If Frodo hung the Ring on a chain, why didn't the chain turn invisible?

9. When Isildur had control of the One Ring, why didn't he use it to command the Ringwraiths? Or the Elven-rings? Or the Dwarven-rings? He could have ruled the whole of Middle-earth with that Ring, yet he decided instead to just write a couple of letters and then go for an unfortunate swim. What's his problem, anyway? Was he stupid?

10. When Legolas introduces Gimli to Treebeard, Gimli bows low and his axe falls to the ground. Treebeard notices this, but merely comments "Hoom! A Dwarf and an axe-bearer!" rather than smash Gimli to Play-Doh™. Doubtless you've heard of the poem, "Woodsman, Spare That Tree!"; did Tolkien have plans to write another version, titled "Tree, Spare That Woodsman!"?

11. Why is the tale of Beren and Luthien subtitled "Release from Bondage", when we never even once get to see her tied up? (And I was really hoping, too.)

12. And if, as is likely, a bacterium had landed on the inner surface of the Ring, would the Ring corrupt it into an evil bacterium? Would it be invisible to other bacteria? Would its' life stretch out and become an unending weariness? Would it use its' increased strength and stature to rule over other bacteria? Would it fight to keep other bacteria from adhering to the Ring? Would it still evolve genetically, or would it instead become a Bacteria-wraith?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Advanced Questions
13. When the Dwarves of beautiful Khazad-Dum built their Western door, why did they allow it to be inscribed with the insulting name of "Moria" ("Black Pit"), a name that would only be earned long years afterwards?

14. Reconcile Tom Bombadil's statement that he is "Eldest" with Gandalf's statement that Fangorn is "the oldest of all living things". Extra Credit: suggest a valid date of birth for each of them. Document your answers.

15. Aragorn states (Two Towers, p. 18 hardback) that Sauron never uses the name "Sauron", nor does he "permit it to be spelt or spoken". Reconcile this text with the text of Return of the King, p. 164 hardback, where the Lieutenant of Barad-Dur clearly states, "I am the Mouth of Sauron".

16. Though Moria is, by rightful ownership, Dain's, Balin nonetheless referred to himself as "Lord of Moria". Helm's Deep is clearly the property of the Rohirrim, being part of lands granted to them by Gondor long years ago, yet in Return of the King p. 360 hardback Gimli declares himself "Lord of the Glittering Caves". Explain the laws and history pertaining to Dwarven property rights, and how those differed from the customs of Elves and Men. For full credit your answer must also reconcile Dwarven property laws with the generous nature of Aule, the Dwarves' creator.

17. How would the history of Middle-earth have differed if Sauron had returned to Aman and received the judgement of Manwe at the end of the First Age, rather than remaining in Middle-Earth (Silmarillion p. 285 hardback)? Describe resultant cultural differences which would have taken place in the Second, Third and Fourth Ages. Special emphasis should be given to the cultures of the Grey Havens, Numenor (including the Dunedain and the Black Numenoreans), the Rohirrim, the Dunlendings and others descending from the peoples of the White Mountains, the Ents, the peoples of Khand, the Orcs (particularly those tribes living in the Grey, Misty and Ash Mountains and the Mountains of Shadow), the Elven peoples of Gil-Galad (include Elrond and the likelihood of Rivendell's being constructed), the Hobbits (beginning from when they were living in the Vales of Anduin), and the Haradrim (both Near and Far Harad must be covered for full credit). Also speculate on the differences in culture which would take place in Aman as Sauron describes his experience with evil to the Valar, Maiar, and Eldar living there. On Silmarillion p. 65, it states that "Manwe was free from evil and could not comprehend it"; would he gain an understanding of evil from the experiences of Sauron? Be prepared to defend your answer.
fatclown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2001, 05:04 PM   #2
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

What bizarre questions!
Old 09-22-2001, 05:36 PM   #3
ladyisme
Enting

WOW! These must have come from yucks and boos are us.

Quote:
"The road goes ever on and on down from the door where it began."
ladyisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2001, 01:24 AM   #4
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

I've seen that. You got that from the Tolkien Sarcasm Page, right? They have a hilarious ten-minute version of LOTR starring Humphrey Bogart
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2001, 07:45 PM   #5
samwise of the shire
Radically Tolkienited

Location: If home is where the heart is, and my heart is in heaven...that should answer your question. <+><
Tom Bombadil LOL

Number ten is HILARIOUS. Tree spare that woodsman, my gosh it was so weird it was funny. That was needed.
Sam
~J.R.R Tolkien
Radically Saved, Totally Tolkienited
GOD...
BLESS...
AMERICA...
samwise of the shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2003, 07:37 PM   #6
mithrand1r
Cyber Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by IronParrot
I've seen that. You got that from the Tolkien Sarcasm Page, right? They have a hilarious ten-minute version of LOTR starring Humphrey Bogart
I agree. Sometimes I think the Humphrey Bogart Version is better than any other film version of LOTR.

(what can I say. I think the actors chosen for this version of LOTR are great. Sydney Greenstreet, Humphrey Bogart, Peter Lorre, etc.)

I liked it so much I saved a copy.

'Many are my names in many countries,' he said. 'Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkûn to the Drarves; Olórin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incánus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not.' Faramir

What nobler employment, or more valuable to the state, than that of the man who instructs the rising generation? Cicero (106BC-43BC)
mithrand1r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 12:43 PM   #7
Nerdanel
Spammer of the Happy Thread

Lovely! We need some laughing here!

I really love number 8. Strange that I haven't thought of that!

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page
Nerdanel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 06:44 PM   #8
Garina
Elf Lord

Quote:
He could have ruled the whole of Middle-earth with that Ring, yet he decided instead to just write a couple of letters and then go for an unfortunate swim.
ROFL!!! Where can I find this Tolkien Sarcasm page?

Laughs much appreciated. Love these questions!
Entmoot Resident Bard #2
Wielder of the shiny fire extinguisher
Worshipper of the divine cheesecake

Hamsters and Rangers everywhere, rejoice!!! Minsc, Baldur's Gate 2
Children, don't take drugs. Become a pop star, then people give them to you for free!!! - Billy Mack, Love Actually.

While I'm sure the nice people from the local archery club meant well, a moment's consideration would have made them realise that giving my friend and I lethal weapons was probably not a good idea!

Dammit, eyeliner and dreadlocks should not be that sexy!
Garina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 01:14 AM   #9
mithrand1r
Cyber Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Garina
ROFL!!! Where can I find this Tolkien Sarcasm page?

Laughs much appreciated. Love these questions!
You could do a search via google (or any other good search engine.)

For simplicity: Tolkien Sarcasm Page

Have fun.

'Many are my names in many countries,' he said. 'Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkûn to the Drarves; Olórin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incánus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not.' Faramir

What nobler employment, or more valuable to the state, than that of the man who instructs the rising generation? Cicero (106BC-43BC)
Old 12-31-2003, 07:53 PM   #10
LeniFreak
Hobbit

Location: In a small town in a small state in a...rather overlarge country
Quote:
(what can I say. I think the actors chosen for this version of LOTR are great. Sydney Greenstreet, Humphrey Bogart, Peter Lorre, etc.)
When I was little, my dad used to read LOTR out loud to me. He did it theatrically, giving the different characters different voices and everything. Years later, when I was obsessed with Lord of the Rings but was old enough to have moved on to a fixation with pop culture, I watched the movie 'Casablanca' with some friends and was shocked, the first time I heard Peter Lorre's character open his mouth, because he then began to talk and what did I hear but GOLLUM'S VOICE, exactly the way my dad had always done it when reading aloud.
Old 12-31-2003, 10:20 PM   #11
cee2lee2
Elf Lord

#7 and #10 made me laugh

I'm heading over to the Sarcasm page now!
cee2lee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2004, 07:21 PM   #12
matthew
Enting

ha! that sarcasm page is good!

Flame me. Go ahead.

Matthew in 2028. One by one we're bringing them back.

Vote Nader.

Stop the hamster eaters!!!!

End global warming! Turn on the AC!!!

Gadzooks! Run!
matthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 11:53 AM   #13
Rose Chubb
Sapling

Location: Between Canada and Mexico, in a place that unfortunately is not Middle-earth.
I don't think I've ever laughed so hard as at the review there of Bakshi's version of LOTR. Sarcasm is a wonderful thing. Not like the movie.

Mentioning unspeakably horrendous adaptations of Tolkien, have any of you seen the animated version of The Hobbit? The one where Smaug looks like an enormous cat and the elves resemble overgrown Smurfs (blue and all)? It was hilarious, though unintentionally so.
Rose Chubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 02:20 PM   #14
Turgon_Turambar
Elven Warrior

Nazgul

Would you be offended if somebody came into your home and declared themselves ''LORD OF YOUR HOUSE!!!''??????
Old 01-12-2004, 03:28 PM   #15
mithrand1r
Cyber Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Turgon_Turambar
Would you be offended if somebody came into your home and declared themselves ''LORD OF YOUR HOUSE!!!''??????
Are you refering to anything in paticular?

In general I would consider it bad manners if a visitor

Quote:
came into your home and declared themselves ''LORD OF YOUR HOUSE!!!'

Old 01-12-2004, 10:53 PM   #16
ryttu3k
Enting

Quote:
Originally posted by Rose Chubb
Mentioning unspeakably horrendous adaptations of Tolkien, have any of you seen the animated version of The Hobbit? The one where Smaug looks like an enormous cat and the elves resemble overgrown Smurfs (blue and all)? It was hilarious, though unintentionally so.
No, but I have seen their version of Return Of The King. *shudderrr*

And in a blinding moment of stupidity, I rented out Bakshi's Lord Of The Rings to see if it was as bad as I remembered. It's worse. Painful, very very much so o.o I love that review...
ryttu3k is offline   Reply With Quote