Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Writer's Workshop
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-10-2004, 02:12 PM   #9
Akamai Deredal
Elven Warrior

Location: Beyond conscious thought... and always out of reach
The horrible screams had left my mind, filtered out by a greater purpose. In a sudden rash and instinctive action I dashed deeper into the caves of Talket. My brothers and sister were being tracked. Fear swept over me, their lives were in danger. I tried shifting my focus to the Rajine tracking them. It was as if they danced around the edge of my view and senses, I was too intent on my brother to notice them. Slowly; cautiously, I broadened my senses.
The screams came back, but only for a moment. I quickly blocked them out, choosing to ignore them. It was difficult, but possible none the less.
Two men ahead of me, both with intent feelings of exhilaration. As they sparked my interests, my senses naturally narrowed down to the two. They were tracking, following signs and footsteps. It was as a hunter, tracking a near helpless flock of doe. I never ceased running.
They were so far ahead of me, and so close to what was left of my family. Rage began to blind me. My hatred was so deep it overshadowed the violent feelings of the Rajine a dozen times over. I wanted to tear those two men to pieces.
For the few moments that I thought to analyze myself, it frightened me. I was more of a monster than they were, yet I had a purpose. I longed to hear them scream in pain, more than they wished for the twisted cries of my family.
I would spill there blood violently the moment I saw them, just as they would to my two brothers and my young sister. Things were closing in. My brother couldn’t move the other two quickly enough to out run two fully grown Rajine men, but I as well was catching up. The burning in my legs and lungs was furious, but I had to continue.
Keep moving, keep moving damn it! You can’t let them catch you. You’re all that’s left for me… I sensed Tahmore losing his will. The other two were complaining too much, he was beginning to doubt whether the danger was real or not.
Everything went to a standstill. He had stopped. Why are you stopping!? He paused, I… Guess we could rest here for a minute, I heard him say to himself. “We’ll stop here for a minute,” he concluded aloud to his brother and sister.
Panic struck him, I felt its shock travel down Tahmore’s spine. “No!” I screamed aloud. I blocked out all mental senses, I couldn’t suffer it any longer. They had just reached an underground river. At this point, the pathway curved and went up a hill. I sprinted around the nearly unused path, only to find the most horrific thing I will ever remember.
My brother lay face first in the soft earth, a pool of blood oozing from his back. Likewise, Kamilah lay face up, knife still protruding from her heart. I watched with tears flooding my eyes as my youngest brother, Riordan, was thrust through with a sword. No words came to my lips. Not so much as a shout. They were all dead, I had failed them.
I sank to my knees, sobbing for my family with my face to the ground. Why!? What is the reason for this!? All this killing is senseless! Everything lost meaning to me; all my hope died. There was no point to my life, everything had been taken from me.
My head shot up. There stood the two men who had committed the sin against such young children. They were looking at me, laughing sort of in a grim and cruel manner. I decided it was the last ‘humorous’ thing they would experience.
I stood to my full height; gazing at them for a moment. I watched the first one fiercely. Not just with my eyes, but with my mind as well. His every thought was mine, every action I could feel before it was executed. The very blink of his eye I could have matched with my own if need be.
My stride was constant, unchanging; set on its purpose. The foremost one unsheathed his sword. It was stained with the fresh blood of my brother. I stooped to the ground and plucked the knife from my sister’s chest. Her face was pale; lifeless.
The sorrow filled me again, but only for a moment. Hatred and anger quickly filled my void. In an amazingly fast motion, my soon-to-be victim slashed at my face with a forward step. The wrist that held his blade was instantly met with a knife. It pierced the entire width, exiting at the opposite side of entry.
A cry of pain and the clattering of iron striking rocks echoed across the stone walls of the cavern. My next motion would be the last he saw. I plunged the knife deep in to his throat.
No mercy was in my eyes, I had become even more cold hearted than my enemy. Nothing mattered to me anymore. The only option was to acquire vengeance. I focused on his scream of death, letting it hit me full force rather than attempt to block it.
The feeling was quite similar to that of the first man I killed. His emotions, memories, everything passed through my mind. The only difference: it didn’t hurt this time. I was prepared. If anything it seemed to extend my clarity of mind even further, stretching it to a slightly larger boundary.
After my victim’s life faded, I turned my attention to the next man. I had no weapon, nor the strength to take the man’s life with my bare hands, yet the look of fear in his eyes was unmistakable. I grinned, the same expression they had when my siblings’ lives were taken.
Was I right in doing this? Should I have shown them mercy instead of death? Am I just as wicked as those men? I’ve asked myself these questions a thousand times ever since that day. I have decided to resign myself. If I am just as wretched and guilty, so be it. May I die a gruesome death as they did. I would never change anything I did to them. Every bit of it was, and always will be worth it to me.
I took several steps towards him. Subconsciously, meaning he didn’t hardly think about it, I know this for a fact, he took several steps back. I walked until he was backed in to a corner. Once he felt the wall, he realized what was happening. Some shame entered his mind, an idiotic feeling to have just before you die.
He leapt at me, his sword raised high. I nearly chuckled in mock laughter. The attack was simple to dodge; I easily swept my body to the side and away from the danger of the blade. Suddenly, all reason left. I was toying with him, as a cat does a mouse.
Several attacks were initiated, each of them just as easily evaded. The game went on until finally I had an open shot at his back. I’m not sure what happened, but I am certain that I made no contact with him. I thrust an open palm just behind his neck. It was more of a reflex, something I had never done, yet it was a deep part of me. I heard a sickening crack.
The Rajine man dropped to the ground without any control. The tip of his sword fought against the ground and ended up sliding away in the direction of his leg. The blade ended up piercing his skin and slicing all the way down his thigh. Absolutely no pain was felt, at least, from this.
His lungs had stopped. The reflexive action of breathing was now unavailable to him. I smirked, knowing what his pain was and also knowing he could have no reaction. The burning inside of him was overcoming. I leaned over him to pick up his sword.
While I was passing over his ear I whispered to him, “Have you had your fill of death yet?”
Again, my memory becomes a blur. I remember walking away, and focusing upon his mind once again to hear the ‘scream.’ After this though, I remember nearly nothing.

Potius mori quam foedari...
Death before dishonour...
Akamai Deredal is offline   Reply With Quote