Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-09-2003, 03:26 PM   #41
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Quote:
Originally posted by Sister Golden Hair
Well, even Tolkien who (in reality) wrote the books, gives the writing credit to his characters.
Many great authors do so.
In letter #66 Tolkien said about Faramir:
Quote:
A new character has come on the scene (I am sure I did not invent him, I did not even want him, though I like him, but there he came walking into the woods of Ithilien): Faramir, the brother of Boromir – and he is holding up the 'catastrophe' by a lot of stuff about the history of Gondor and Rohan (with some very sound reflections no doubt on martial glory and true glory): but if he goes on much more a lot of him will have to be removed to the appendices ...
As we know, he wasn't removed.
Old 12-10-2003, 09:35 PM   #42
Fimbrethil
My microwave speaks to me

Location: Having conversations with my major household appliances.
Quote:
Originally posted by Ilúvatar
When you analyse fiction, you look behind what is written. All authors write the words that the characters speak, but you still analyse WHY they said things. Have you ever had English Literature or literature class if you aren't in the US?
I love my lit class (yeah I'm in the U.S.). I didn't say you couldn't look beyond the story. Personnally I don't care much for analyzing things in lit. though. It just seems weird that you would take this awsome peice of lit. and pick it apart bit by bit until you have all the peices laid out in front of you and it's not fiction anymore it just turns out to be this really cool really logical story some person wrote. I just think you can take it to far without giving credit where credit is due. That's my whole thing. What do you mean he thought beyond the story? Yes, well I'm sure on some subconciese (sp?) level Tolkien really did make up Farimir. I never said you couldn't...I'm not a dictator...I was just wondering why.
Yes sir, yes sir. Three bags full.

I'll be gone for a while. But never fear! "I shall return anon!"
Fimbrethil is offline   Reply With Quote