Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 12-05-2003, 09:45 AM   #41
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Ruinel
bropous, I have to say... the first film didn't suck nearly as much as the second film. Not to say that the first film didn't suck, cuz oh buddy, did it ever. [EDITED].

.... waits for the usual admin edit.
eh? I didn't get edited? [EDITED] What is this board coming to? tisk tisk
Quote:
Originally posted by Telcontar
...Let's all kiss and make up and get this behind us.
uh... [EDITED] The thought just nauseates me. *shudders*
Quote:
As soon as ROTK is released, the fires should cool, hopefully.
Not likely. I'm still smoldering over the FotR and TTT. How could the "fires" be cooled after RotK?
Quote:
Sorry for venting on the book fans earlier. I guess I was just tired of hearing that the movies were junk when I thought they were entertaining even though they strayed from the book (sometimes severely). However, I can understand the reasoning for some of the changes, mainly to capture the non-reader's interests and for time constraints. I think you can separate the two, where you can enjoy each on a different level.

A movie can never compete with your imagination. [/B]
Apology accepted. However, I'm still not putting my lips to any part of BB. You can put that thought right out of your head.

As for the movies, if I had never read LotR, ever... and if I was not a big JRRT fan... I can see how I'd be stupified into believing that the movies were remarkable. As I've said before, PJ surrounded himself with the best of the best in film making to make up for his serious lack of talent. What I saw on the screen was definitely NOT a resemblance to the story I read in the book, other than the use of character names, place names and a few minor details. The movies were a HUGE disappointment. Movies are not just pretty pictures you see on a big screen... it's more than that. And this movie was definitely NOT the LotR story by JRRT.

Last edited by Sister Golden Hair

Last edited by Ruinel : 12-05-2003 at 09:47 AM.
Old 12-06-2003, 12:23 AM   #42
BeardofPants
the Shrike

If by Delaurentis' Dune you mean the mini-series, hmmm.... that's a difficult one. At least PJ didn't have actors obviously running on the spot.
Old 12-06-2003, 12:35 AM   #43
Ruinel
Banned

Damn. Why does my stuff always get edited? Seriously, it's not that bad. Is it?
Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants
If by Delaurentis' Dune you mean the mini-series, hmmm.... that's a difficult one. At least PJ didn't have actors obviously running on the spot.
That's freakin' hilarious. That reminds me of the Saturday Night Live (a US tv show) skits where they spoof something and the comedian runs in place and they move the background. Always obvious... but it's for comedy anyway. So, it works out.

... wait... can' I say "freakin'"?

Last edited by Ruinel : 12-06-2003 at 12:38 AM.
Old 12-06-2003, 12:41 AM   #44
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Yes.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 12-06-2003, 12:42 AM   #45
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Sister Golden Hair
Yes.
freakin' freakin' freakin'
Old 12-06-2003, 12:56 AM   #46
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Yer' a freak, Ru.
Old 12-06-2003, 01:26 AM   #47
Telcontar
Enting

Quote:
Originally posted by Ruinel:

As for the movies, if I had never read LotR, ever... and if I was not a big JRRT fan... I can see how I'd be stupified into believing that the movies were remarkable.
You've answered my next question: If you had never read the books, were they good movies? Apparently you said yes. Well, I've read the books a few times also. However, I still believe that the movie couldn't be exactly like the book. I know some of you have recognized that fact. Where I differ is that I believe non-fans would've fallen asleep. I didn't think the movie was at all boring, yet people like my parents who've never read the books said they were falling asleep in the theater (seriously). My Mom didn't even want to watch TTT b/c she thought it would be the same way. For my part, I thought there was quite of bit of build-up and action. Other people didn't even know there were 3 movies out, and expected some kind of conclusion at FOTR. I had to explain to them why not. Do you see where I'm going? For those reasons alone I can say with truth that I did not expect a true book movie, and therefore I am much less critical.

Besides, to even have characters/moments like Tom Bombadil in FOTR would've been ridiculous. TO ME, he does not have any significance to the ULTIMATE struggle. He is a side character that enhances the story. If I am wrong, please correct me.

In closing, I agree that the movies will never be as good as the books, but it was great to see such a visual spectacle. The visuals couldn't have been better, because for me it matched almost exactly as I had imagined it in my head. I don't think that aspect could've been better or needed to change. And I certainly think that any *remake* wouldn't be better...until maybe a virtual reality type of movie!
Old 12-06-2003, 01:42 AM   #48
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Telcontar
You've answered my next question: If you had never read the books, were they good movies? Apparently you said yes.
I said "might". I'd also have to be a bit on the not too bright side too.
Quote:
Originally posted by Wayfarer
Yer' a freak, Ru.
You should be talkin'.
Old 12-06-2003, 01:45 AM   #49
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

[Edited] No flaming or gratuitious textual violence!!!

];-)
Old 12-06-2003, 01:47 AM   #50
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Wayfarer
[Edited] No flaming or gratuitious textual violence!!!

];-)
There's the old Wayfarer we know.
Old 12-06-2003, 01:52 AM   #51
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Now where's my scourge... Uppity elf-girls.
Old 12-06-2003, 09:50 AM   #52
Elf Girl
Lurker

Spammers.
Old 12-06-2003, 11:10 AM   #53
Ringil
Sapling

The extremely lame political correctness of the Administrative Warnings means that this is one mesage board I won't have to spend any more time browsing.

Thank you for allowing me to express my opinion this last time.
With seven wounds it rent his foe/and seven mighty cries of woe/
rang in the mountains, and the earth quook/and Angband's trembling armies shook/
Old 12-06-2003, 11:59 AM   #54
Elf Girl
Lurker

You prefer boards where members are allowed to abuse each other?
Old 12-06-2003, 12:34 PM   #55
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Ringil
The extremely lame political correctness of the Administrative Warnings means that this is one mesage board I won't have to spend any more time browsing.

Thank you for allowing me to express my opinion this last time.
That is your right to do so. I can tell you this though, although you registered almost a year ago, I have been moderating on this board successfully for a lot longer than 11 posts. If you prefer a board with no moderation or rules, they are out there, but Entmoot isn't one of them, and is not likely to be one of them in the future. Sorry you don't approve, but the administration has to think of the whole community. If a few don't like the decisions made and therefore choose to leave, than that is the way it is. Entmoot does not cater to people that flame, nor do we support flame wars. If flaming and being flamed is more to your liking then perhaps you would be more suited to a chatroom. This forum has spun out of control. What would you do if you were us? It is important to make this forum user friendly before the release of the movie. Sorry you don't see it that way, but the rules stand. Enjoy your new MB.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 12-06-2003, 01:30 PM   #56
Ruinel
Banned

That was a fine "how do you do", SGH. Not in your character at all. Why did you feel it necessary to judge this member? So, this person doesn't post much, so what? And I post quite a lot, so what? Quite a lot of my posts aren't exactly what you'd call attributing to the threads I post in, but hey... they're fairly harmless.

I belong to other message boards that I don't post hardly at all on. I go, browse, see if there's anything interesting... and leave if there's nothing to add. *shrugs* I wonder if the mods and admins there think I should be sent off like you did.

It's always sad to see a member go, and it's even sadder to see an admin give a fairwell so roughly. I thought you were trying to make this forum a "gentler and kinder" forum after all.
Old 12-06-2003, 01:39 PM   #57
Elfhelm
Marshal of the Eastmark

THANK YOU!!!

Entmoot is not the personal pulpit of one or three mean people. It's about time the admins put a stop to all that.

I do not believe any movie is as bad as Dune. And almost everyone else thinks LotR is the best fantasy genre movie ever. Is there a better movie in this genre? Please tell me because I have been going to them for most of my life and if there's even one that can compare, I'd like to know.
Old 12-06-2003, 01:58 PM   #58
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Ruinel
That was a fine "how do you do", SGH. Not in your character at all. Why did you feel it necessary to judge this member? So, this person doesn't post much, so what? And I post quite a lot, so what? Quite a lot of my posts aren't exactly what you'd call attributing to the threads I post in, but hey... they're fairly harmless.

I belong to other message boards that I don't post hardly at all on. I go, browse, see if there's anything interesting... and leave if there's nothing to add. *shrugs* I wonder if the mods and admins there think I should be sent off like you did.

It's always sad to see a member go, and it's even sadder to see an admin give a fairwell so roughly. I thought you were trying to make this forum a "gentler and kinder" forum after all.
/Excuse me? This member chose to comment in open forum on moderator decisions, the same as you're doing, which is against Entmoot rules. The poster obviously does not agree with the rules, and has chosen to leave this board. That's fine, but I have stated my feelings to them about their choice, and if you have a problem with my moderating, you may contact me via PM.

This thread is closed.

Travel and Tourism Guide
Closed Thread