Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-05-2003, 01:52 PM   #21
Katie of the Golden Wood
Enting

Quote:
Originally posted by bropous

I will be seeing Return of the King. I will still be very disgusted when I walk out of the theatre.
First of all, your opinion is a bit early. I don't know why you refuse to give the film a chance. Maybe you think yourself a "better" fan by saying over and over again how PJ is an idiot for even creating a screenplay instead of just having the characters read out of books. But movies aren't books. They have to be handled differently, and just because some changes have to be made, is now reason to deride a fine director, insisting he was only out to make a cheap, Hollywood action movie.

Katie
Katie of the Golden Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 02:00 PM   #22
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally posted by Katie of the Golden Wood
First of all, your opinion is a bit early. I don't know why you refuse to give the film a chance. Maybe you think yourself a "better" fan by saying over and over again how PJ is an idiot for even creating a screenplay instead of just having the characters read out of books. But movies aren't books. They have to be handled differently, and just because some changes have to be made, is now reason to deride a fine director, insisting he was only out to make a cheap, Hollywood action movie.
If you read his threads from two years ago - you will see that he was a HUGE fan of the movies. That him and I used to get into heated arguments all the time about Jackson's films. He has had his eyes opened on the quality of the films based on past history.

I saw FotR and it was an action film, TT - more action than anything - going so far as to even give us that damn exorcism scene. Based on past history - we don't expect much from jackson's films - other than good eye candy. If your into eyecandy - good for you. We and I inparticular - wanted a more intelligent movie. jackson made an action flick.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 02:28 PM   #23
Katie of the Golden Wood
Enting

I can see where you're coming from, especially with TTT, but I think it is more of a war movie than an action movie. An action movie is car chases and gun fights. A war movie is life or death, small people fighting just to survive, go home, and live as they always have. However, one thing I didn't like much about TTT was the increased battle scences downplayed the role of Frodo and Sam. From whats been said about ROTK (from independent reviewers not associated with PJ), the movie is centered on the hobbits, just like Tolkien did.
It's going to take a whole lot to make my believe that these movies aren't of extremely high quality.

Katie
Katie of the Golden Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 02:32 PM   #24
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Strider

Quote:
Originally posted by jerseydevil
Yes - there are little BB's running around now.
But jd, didn't you know...??? Lizra is BB, I'm BB...

WE'RE ALL BB!!!!

BWAHHAHAHAHAAHH!!!

...'cept you and Ruinel.

Everything else is just a big pretense...
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 03:47 PM   #25
Black Breathalizer
Elf Lord

Sorry for the Matrix reference on a LOTR films forum, but...

I'm feeling like Agent Smith!!!
Black Breathalizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 04:46 PM   #26
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally posted by Katie of the Golden Wood
I can see where you're coming from, especially with TTT, but I think it is more of a war movie than an action movie. An action movie is car chases and gun fights. A war movie is life or death, small people fighting just to survive, go home, and live as they always have.
That isnt' just what determines an action movie. Termrinator 3 is an action movie, XXX is an action movie, Rambo - action movie.
Quote:

However, one thing I didn't like much about TTT was the increased battle scences downplayed the role of Frodo and Sam. From whats been said about ROTK (from independent reviewers not associated with PJ), the movie is centered on the hobbits, just like Tolkien did.
All those reviewers have had direct association with jackson for years - and have been given special backstage access becuase they support his movies. From all the stuff shown on the previews - the majority of RotK revolves around Aragorn gaining his thrown and the overthrow of Sauron.
Quote:

It's going to take a whole lot to make my believe that these movies aren't of extremely high quality.
Maybe after a few years and all the hype dies down. After jackson isn't out there going "you like them, you will love them, we did everythign we could to make them the absolute best". Then maybe you will be able to look at the books and look at the movies and realize how off the mark he was with them. Propaganda is a hard thing to resist.

Yeah BB - you are like Agent Smith - a VIRUS.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 05:58 PM   #27
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by jerseydevil
All those reviewers have had direct association with jackson for years - and have been given special backstage access becuase they support his movies. From all the stuff shown on the previews - the majority of RotK revolves around Aragorn gaining his thrown and the overthrow of Sauron.
Uhhh no. When you have a SAG card and are a member of the acting community you get to go to pre-sceeninings and advanced shows. So you are saying everyone with SAG cards are in cahoots with PJ?
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote