Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 12-05-2003, 01:04 AM   #1
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Let it go already...

Ok, I just wanted to post something, because it's really annoying to come to the forum and see every thread ruined by the same people posting the same things over and over and over again. We heard your opinions, do you really need to keep complaining, bitching and bashing? I mean, the fact that it has resorted to name calling and grouping those who like the movies into certain categories is beyond me. I respect your opinions, but do you have to inundate us with the same things that you've been repeating for the past 2 years? It's gotten pretty old very quickly and I've haven't even been here for a year!

If you don't like the movies so much, then don't see them. No one is making you see them and no one is going to kill you if you don't. I'm only posting this, because frankly, I don't even want to read threads in this forum anymore, because everywhere I look another thread has been ruined by more bashing and complaining of the same stuff.

I have no problem with having civil discussions, but the way it's been lately, is going overboard on both sides of the table. Some people who love the movies are out of line and some who hate the movies are out of line too.

I come here to have fun and discuss books that I have loved for a long time and now movies that I have enjoyed for the experience of the world I love coming to life. It's getting old and annoying. I could be doing better things with my time, instead of getting pissed about people *****ing on everything and everyone...

D
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Old 12-05-2003, 01:07 AM   #2
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Just to add, sorry if it sounds like I am only talking about people that don't like the movie. I am not, I am talking about both sides. I was just on that mindset as I began writing this thread
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Old 12-05-2003, 01:14 AM   #3
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally posted by Dúnedain
Ok, I just wanted to post something, because it's really annoying to come to the forum and see every thread ruined by the same people posting the same things over and over and over again. We heard your opinions, do you really need to keep complaining, bitching and bashing? I mean, the fact that it has resorted to name calling and grouping those who like the movies into certain categories is beyond me. I respect your opinions, but do you have to inundate us with the same things that you've been repeating for the past 2 years? It's gotten pretty old very quickly and I've haven't even been here for a year!
That's why you haven't seen the real problem - BB. I've gotten tired of his constant worship of jackson and calling us Purists and ignorant of movie making and everything else. Go read the past threads. Don't blame the book fans when you haven't been back here that long. BB grouped the book fans into their group and has been deragatory toward us for the past year. Read the past threads!!!
Quote:

If you don't like the movies so much, then don't see them. No one is making you see them and no one is going to kill you if you don't. I'm only posting this, because frankly, I don't even want to read threads in this forum anymore, because everywhere I look another thread has been ruined by more bashing and complaining of the same stuff.
No we don't have to see them. But it is our choice - as it is our choice to post our opinions. Sorry you don't like our opinions - but they are our opinions. maybe it would be best to just close down the movie forum since this is a TOLKIEN board not a Jackson board.
Quote:

I have no problem with having civil discussions, but the way it's been lately, is going overboard on both sides of the table. Some people who love the movies are out of line and some who hate the movies are out of line too.
]
if you are referring to me - it is because I've had it with BB's constant deragatory comments. It has been going on for a year.
Quote:

I come here to have fun and discuss books that I have loved for a long time and now movies that I have enjoyed for the experience of the world I love coming to life. It's getting old and annoying. I could be doing better things with my time, instead of getting pissed about people *****ing on everything and everyone...
Then complain to the people who are doing it. But make sure you include the people who started this - BB

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 12-05-2003, 01:17 AM   #4
Tuor of Gondolin
Elf Lord

Yes. The namecalling and groupings almost seem to be morphing into virtual gangs.
For my part, when I heard the films were being made I expected them (on a scale of A to F) to be a D. As is, I expect a final grade of about B, sad only because an even higher grade was easily attainable. The cinematography, costumes, and actors were much better then expected, even while unwise and unneccessary alterations in the story were made. But on balance, I'm glad the films were made, and the effort put into them should call for rational and civil discussion.

Take Back America

Aure entuluva!
Old 12-05-2003, 01:17 AM   #5
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

I totally agree that this argung should be stopped, and be discussed civilliy. unfortunately, there will always be people like BB.

It does get way out of hand.
this is what scared Elfhelm away from the movie forums. and I've stopped enjoying my visits here as well....
i wouldnt mind if we kept it to one thread. and thats one of the major factors of this forum is that there are to many arguement threads.

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide

Last edited by hectorberlioz : 12-05-2003 at 01:20 AM.
Old 12-05-2003, 01:19 AM   #6
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Well, I can understand folks who read the books and still love the films.

I can understand folks who love the films with reservations because they read the books and the films don't measure up.

I can also understand folks who have read the books, saw the films, and were not all that impressed with the visual product.

But for the life of me, I cannot understand people who have never read the books who have the nerve to state that the films improved Tolkien, nor can I stomach the folks who state that they wish they had read the books prior to seeing the film because now that they saw the film first, the books aren't that good [an actual comment on another thread].

I always had thought the saving virtue would be, at least, is that the films would lead more folks to discover the REAL Tolkien. From the above-referenced post, it doesn't appear that this is true in every case.

Dunedain, I can understand the desire to stop the carping back-and-forth, but I guess it's hard when you're talking about a work a lot of folks have taken to heart. It's hard to not let the disappointment at the less-than-stellar attempt at making this film from the books overshadow appreciation of the aspects of the film which were actually quite good.

No, the films are not a complete waste of celluloid, they are far better than many films which have been made, but the years of hashing back and forth over this aspect or that has made us all look at the films with a little more critiical eye than we would most film. And maybe, just maybe, Dunedain, all this discussion is a GOOD thing, no matter which opinions are in the spotlight of the moment.

We can all agree on at least one thing: The films HAVE been a good conversation-starter.

And I am, despite my reservations and carping, glad the films were made. I hope that comment opens more doors than it closes.
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
Old 12-05-2003, 01:20 AM   #7
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by hectorberlioz
I totally agree that this argung should be stopped. unfortunately, there will always be arguing; because neither the movie haters or movie lovers will ever stop; either defending or bashing.

It does get way out of hand.
this is what scared Elfhelm away from the movie forums. and I've stopped enjoying my visits here as well....
i wouldnt mind if we kept it to one thread. and thats one of the major factors of this forum is that there are to many arguement threads.
Well look at how many threads BB has started that all discuss the same things. Also have deragatory titles toward the book fans. BB has to be brought down a few pegs

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 12-05-2003, 01:21 AM   #8
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

JD, I am referring to everyone, not just you or BB. I don't want to blame one person, because one person cannot be blamed. I've seen all of BB's posts and while they did piss me off at times, I still don't think everything can be blamed on him. It is EVERYONE. I've been a part of it too. I'm just getting sick and tired of all the bitching that is going on between everyone.

And sorry for making it sound like I was going after the people who disliked the movies, as I said above, I started the thread that way and it just came across like that...

--Linaewen
Old 12-05-2003, 01:24 AM   #9
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

yeah, every thread he's created is about not people not appreciating the movies.
then we get into our opinions about the movies; thus trying to slit eachothers throats.
it all comes down to BB not accepting the fact that not everyone on planet earth agrees with his views.

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide
Old 12-05-2003, 01:24 AM   #10
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by bropous
And maybe, just maybe, Dunedain, all this discussion is a GOOD thing, no matter which opinions are in the spotlight of the moment.

We can all agree on at least one thing: The films HAVE been a good conversation-starter.
I agree, but only when we can all discuss and not argue. Unfortunately there has been too much of the latter lately. It brings back my bad memories of JD and I defending ourselves in the Iraq thread *shudders*

--Linaewen
Old 12-05-2003, 01:24 AM   #11
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by bropous
And maybe, just maybe, Dunedain, all this discussion is a GOOD thing, no matter which opinions are in the spotlight of the moment.
Supposedly the book fans arguing did do some good - because Azalea had said that in the directors commentary that Arwen was going to be at Helms Deep. When they heard the outcry against Arwen - they didn't have her there. So the book fans harping - did some good. Just wish we had harped before the movie started filming to say what we would and would not accept.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 12-05-2003, 01:28 AM   #12
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

This thread can only serve to fuel the fire.

Closing.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

Travel and Tourism Guide
Closed Thread