Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-07-2003, 11:05 PM   #1
gimli7410
the dumb stoner canuck

firecrackers

i was just wondering if firecrackers are illegal in other places(i know they are im just wondering where) in canada lots of people still buy them and sell them. i have about a brick of bottle rockets but now with fireworks which are legal they are not allowed to be sold in my city. which is stupid but ill just go to a place by my school. so the question is are they illegal in your country or city?
"Trying is the first step to failure" Homer Simpson
"It isn't going to be easy"-jerseydevil
"only the good die young"
I AM CANADIAN

If the people lead, the leaders will follow.
gimli7410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2003, 11:17 PM   #2
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

They are illegal in the state of Ohio, but not in W. Virginia for example. You can sell them and purchase them in Ohio, but you cannot set them off here by law. When you go to purchase them, you have to be 21 and sign a paper saying that you are taking them out of state. How stupid is that?

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2003, 11:25 PM   #3
azalea
Long lost mooter

They're illegal in Georgia, and I'm pretty sure they're illegal here in Florida, but in South Carolina they're legal (that's where everyone goes to buy them, and yeah, you didn't used to but now you have to sign a paper that says you're using them as part of a railroad signaling thingy, or as part of a professional fireworks show, or some other reason that doesn't apply to anyone, so basically if you want to buy them, you have to lie. It's to protect the liability of the store), and I think certain kinds are allowed in North Carolina.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2003, 02:36 AM   #4
Bombadillo
"The Bomb"

There's no buying or selling of fireworks or crackers in New Jersey. But you can set them off without getting in trouble. Either that or my town's got a corrupt pyro police corps.
Old 11-08-2003, 03:14 PM   #5
Sheeana
Lord of the Pants

Legal in NZ, but I'm hoping they'll be changing that soon. Every year without fail, we have houses on fire, stupid people releasing them into crowds, and poor frightened animals.
Sheeana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2003, 03:18 PM   #6
Coney II
Elven Warrior

Legal in the UK.......my village has been about as peacefull as a coalition camp in central Bhagdad for the last couple of weeks

Not that I mind a lil' chaos o' course

I think the government are going to implement a law that prohibits the fireworks being lit after 11pm tho'........and I think yer have to be over 18 to buy them (might be 21......been a lotta years since I tried to buy fireworks illegally)
Coney II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2003, 04:25 PM   #7
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Sheeana
Legal in NZ, but I'm hoping they'll be changing that soon. Every year without fail, we have houses on fire, stupid people releasing them into crowds, and poor frightened animals.
Well, I'm not so sure that making them illegal would change any of that. As I said, they are illegal here, but people buy them and set them off. There are hundreds of fires and injuries, mostly to juveniles, every year here, from illegal fireworks.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 11-08-2003, 04:35 PM   #8
sun-star
Lady of Letters

Quote:
Originally posted by Coney II
I think the government are going to implement a law that prohibits the fireworks being lit after 11pm tho'........and I think yer have to be over 18 to buy them (might be 21......been a lotta years since I tried to buy fireworks illegally)
That, and also a law to limit the time of year when fireworks are sold. I love fireworks in the right situation, but there should definitely be stricter controls on their use (and on the noise level - the church next door to me are having a display right now and I can hardly hear myself think!).
For centuries to come, when not a soul
Is left to picnic on the blazing rocks,
When England is not England, when mankind
Has blown himself to pieces. Still the sea,
Consolingly disastrous, will return
While the strange starfish, hugely magnified,
Waits in the jewelled basin of a pool.
sun-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2003, 04:56 PM   #9
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

They're legal under a certain amount here if I'm not mistaken. Although I believe certain types have been banned aswell because they were reckoned too dangerous. I'm not sure but I think there's also a limit on the time they can be sold. Though, every year there are numerous people who go over the border to get that sort of fireworks over there.

I never really payed attention to the legislation on it much. I just try to get the cats inside before any firework gets lighted in the neighbourhood.
Old 11-08-2003, 05:02 PM   #10
Coney II
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Eärniel
I never really payed attention to the legislation on it much. I just try to get the cats inside before any firework gets lighted in the neighbourhood.
Pets are a worry....my neighbours dog goes absolutely scarum when it hears them (luckily she always makes sure the mutt is inside).

My cats seem to take it a little more casually......I think the lil' one opened an eye, yawned then promptly went back to sleep in the middle of the noise (the big 'un didn't even wake up)

Last edited by Coney II : 11-08-2003 at 05:03 PM.
Coney II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2003, 05:07 PM   #11
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

It is always a good idea to keep them inside during those times. Small pets can often be the targets of malicious behavior and fireworks.

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 11-08-2003, 05:15 PM   #12
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Coney II
My cats seem to take it a little more casually......I think the lil' one opened an eye, yawned then promptly went back to sleep in the middle of the noise (the big 'un didn't even wake up)
Then you can count yourself lucky, I suppose. I've heard of one or two stories of pets that got scared during fire works and ran away. It's a such stupid way to lose your pet like that.

It's not that our cats are so easily spooked. But our next door neighbours like to light fireworks during new year's eve and those things always pass over our garden. We once found one of those little iron stakes on which they light certain fireworks right in our garden. That was not so amusing.
Old 11-09-2003, 02:21 AM   #13
gimli7410
the dumb stoner canuck

october is rough times for one of my dogs. everytime my dog hears a firework she pisses everywhere. well actually in the laundry room. my other dog the little one just barks and the cats dont even care. the one dog can barely walk she shakes so much but once it is all over she hears an occasional firework but doesnt get as worried
"Trying is the first step to failure" Homer Simpson
"It isn't going to be easy"-jerseydevil
"only the good die young"
I AM CANADIAN

If the people lead, the leaders will follow.

Last edited by gimli7410 : 11-09-2003 at 02:36 AM.
gimli7410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003, 03:34 PM   #14
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

Not illegal to buy or sell in Alabama, to my knowledge. Some cities have ordinances against them, but nobody bothers with those anyway. You can buy them when you're 16 here. I don't think any towns around here have had any problems with firework abuse. If they have, it hasn't been in the news.

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003, 03:59 PM   #15
Snowdog
Dúnedain Ranger of the North

Firecrackers

They are illegal in the stste of Washington, but not on Indian nation lands. There is quite alot of smuggling off the reservation during the months of June and December.

I had alot of fun with these little poppers in my youth