Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-24-2003, 11:44 PM   #1
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

If you like Japanese culture, langauge, anime, etc

If you have any interest in Japan go here.

It is quite humorous if you have 1st hand experience.

http://www-unix.oit.umass.edu/~thoureau/japanese.html

Author's Note:This whole essay, although sprinkled with truisms here and there, is a joke and should be taken like one. I'm actually a Japanese major myself, and even if I've given it a bit of a hard time, I love the Japanese language, and I think everyone should give it a try.

You should just be ready for a whole lot of pain.

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Culled from Entmoot From Kirinski 57 and Wayfarer.
afro-elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 12:09 AM   #2
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Heh, that's hilarious. Some of those things are indeed patently true, though... I'm not Japanese but I've had a fair bit of exposure to their culture. I can say with authority that Pocky snacks are actually pretty good.

And I knew the author would work in a clever reference to "All Your Base" somehow...
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 12:49 AM   #3
Anglorfin
Alasailon

Hahahaha, speaking of "Pocky" and good joke sites, www.engrish.com is one of the best. It's just funny misspellings, or phrasings of Japanese translated English that we as Americans find absurd.

"Anglorfin was tall and straight; his hair was of shining gold, his face fair and young and fearless and full of anger; his eyes were bright and keen, and his voice like music; on his brow sat wisdom, and in his hand was great skill."
Anglorfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 12:34 PM   #4
Elfhelm
Marshal of the Eastmark

LOL! this is so funny!

My daughter speaks animese, too. I sent her the link.

My co-worker is from Yokohama and she was laughing at the jokes. She is sending it on to her western husband who has felt some of this pain.

One thing, for the record. In translation, our business, we have the first draft translated by a native speaker of the source language into the learned language and then we have it proofed by a native speaker of the destination language. So you wouldn't be translating anime or video games, you'd be proofreading to eliminate the All Your Base things.
Old 04-25-2003, 12:50 PM   #5
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Proofreading that kind of thing? Now that's the kind of job for me...
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Old 04-25-2003, 02:22 PM   #6
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Oh, so. Vey funny. Most inscrutable.
Old 04-25-2003, 05:40 PM   #7
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
That Engrish website has a very picture that I can't find at the moment. It's somwhere though.

A picture of some books at a book store and underneath it it says:

Crafts and Hobbits

Which is extremely odd, because once in a bookstore I mistook "Crafts and Hobbies" for just that.
Old 04-25-2003, 06:01 PM   #8
Anglorfin
Alasailon

Quote:
Originally posted by IronParrot
Proofreading that kind of thing? Now that's the kind of job for me...
I'd die . . .

. . .of laughing too hard.

"Anglorfin was tall and straight; his hair was of shining gold, his face fair and young and fearless and full of anger; his eyes were bright and keen, and his voice like music; on his brow sat wisdom, and in his hand was great skill."
Anglorfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 08:29 PM   #9
Bombadillo
"The Bomb"

Quote:
Originally posted by Starr Polish
That Engrish website has a very picture that I can't find at the moment. It's somwhere though.

A picture of some books at a book store and underneath it it says:

Crafts and Hobbits

Which is extremely odd, because once in a bookstore I mistook "Crafts and Hobbies" for just that.
Maybe you mean this one. Hehe... I love that site.

Oh, thanks for the warning AE. I was seriously considering taking Japanese next year.

BTW, about the Pocky, I've eaten it before and it is really very good.
That sounds extremely bad and gay. Pocky is a real food, like a cookie stick with a candy coating of chocolate or strawberry. A couple years ago my friend brought boxes of it back to my school after a trip there. It's really good I swear.
Old 04-25-2003, 10:40 PM   #10
Ornelírë Mistë
Elven Warrior

I'm going to study Japanese at camp this summer, six days a week, for five weeks. At the moment, I hope that I will eventually become fluent. I doubt this will ever happen, though I do have my plans- courses, etc. I found a few courses I can take during the year, and an exchange program where I can study the language in Japan. You also take field trips, so that will be great. 3 days in Tokyo. I think the whole thing's for around month. I am interested in Japanese literature and Buddhism. I don't know much about either, but I did find some informational websites. In fact, today I bought a translation of The Tale of Genji. Maybe by the time I'm done I'll be able to read the real thing. I like some anime- Nadesico and some movies. I read the first volume of Akira, and am getting the second one soon.

"Most people never been to Hell," Jacob said.

She looked at him and he could hear the smile in her voice. "And I suppose you have?"
Ornelírë Mistë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2003, 06:27 AM   #11
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

Huh. You think Japanese is hard? Pfft. Compare it to Chinese- no alphabet whatsoever- have fun learning approx 8000 individual words! Yippee! And you will have no idea how to pronounce new words unless there is this sort of 'pronunciation alphabet thingy' there, which will practically NEVER be in anything apart from perhaps textbooks. Furthermore, non-simplified (i.e. traditional) Chinese has far less simple characters than Japanese! Woohoo! You can see why I did so poorly in Chinese school!
Linaewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2003, 05:34 PM   #12
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Ah, Chinese... I can hardly read or write anything, but I understand it (Cantonese, anyway) and speak it a little, albeit not too fluently.

The thing is, there is no obvious correlation between the way a word looks and how it sounds, except for some odd technical thing Linaewen referred to that only works in some dialects, so it's really difficult to pick up. Not very systematic by any means.

Being able to understand Hong Kong films without relying too heavily on subtitles is a very valuable asset, though.

Old 04-30-2003, 08:18 AM   #13
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

Quote:
Originally posted by IronParrot
Ah, Chinese... I can hardly read or write anything, but I understand it (Cantonese, anyway) and speak it a little, albeit not too fluently.

The thing is, there is no obvious correlation between the way a word looks and how it sounds, except for some odd technical thing Linaewen referred to that only works in some dialects, so it's really difficult to pick up. Not very systematic by any means.

Being able to understand Hong Kong films without relying too heavily on subtitles is a very valuable asset, though.
Wow. You speak Chinese? Better than me. (Well, I know the basics of 3 dialects, but still...)

OMG. That scared me, you writing my name in bold like that. Yikes! Thought I was in trouble!
Linaewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 03:23 PM   #14
congressmn
Incharge: neighbourhood security

Quote:
Originally posted by Linaewen
Huh. You think Japanese is hard? Pfft. Compare it to Chinese- no alphabet whatsoever- have fun learning approx 8000 individual words! Yippee! And you will have no idea how to pronounce new words unless there is this sort of 'pronunciation alphabet thingy' there, which will practically NEVER be in anything apart from perhaps textbooks. Furthermore, non-simplified (i.e. traditional) Chinese has far less simple characters than Japanese! Woohoo! You can see why I did so poorly in Chinese school!

ah, the chinese, what can i say for them. mouth shut. For fear of SARS only.
Old 04-30-2003, 07:14 PM   #15
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Iron Parrot, aren't you of Cantonese decent?

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Culled from Entmoot From Kirinski 57 and Wayfarer.
afro-elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2003, 03:33 AM   #16
Eruviel Greenleaf
Alcoholic Villain-Fancying Elf Pirate

Heheh. .
Yes, it is funny, yay. Especially because I'm somewhat of an anime freak (thank you corruption of college friends), I'm starting Japanese next semester, and not only that, three out of five of my classes have to do with Japan: Japanese 101, Early East Asian History, and Japanese Tea Ceremony. And am thinking of going to Japan for a semester my junior year. Heh. And mostly thanks to my lovely Japanese Art History class this last semster and my crazy, anime-obsessed friends

"Whoever has come to understand the world has found only a corpse, and whoever has found a corpse is superior to the world."
-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Eruviel Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2003, 10:09 AM   #17
durin's bane
Lady of Westernesse

Lol! That's funny, and pretty convincing, too. I think I'll stay a dubby.
Old 10-11-2003, 03:50 PM   #18
katya
Elven Maiden

that's pretty funny! I am taking Japanese this year. It's not too hard, really, and I am doing pretty well. And, Pocky snacks are wonderful!
katya is offline   Reply With Quote