Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-24-2003, 02:46 PM   #21
Lefty Scaevola
AngAdan

We do not know how many generations of Elves there were before Elwe/Olwe (and Finwe and Ingwe) So there is large expansive possibilities for family connection through earlier generations.
Assuming that Imin, Tatya, & Enel are anything other than myths (or even if they are myths), It is likely that most noble/royal/princely houses (Like Gwinder's family or Glorfindal's or Lenwe's) claim descent from them. With 'immortality" and nearlyperfect memories, we can assume that Elves are very knowledgable about they ancestry and relations for many generations.
"Mighty are the Ainur, and mightiest among them is Melkor, but that he may know, and all the Ainur, that I am Iluvatar, those things that ye have sung, I will show them forth, ... And thou, Melkor, shalt see that no theme may be played that hath not its uttermost source in me,"
Lefty Scaevola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2003, 09:57 AM   #22
Durin1
Elven Warrior

I have always liked the idea that Legolas' mother would have been one of the Wood Elves (Thranduil apparently being of Sindarin origin). Legolas declares in "The Ring goes south" that he is of the Silvan folk. I don't know why but are can't really think of him as of purely Sindarin origin. He must have been brought up, of course, amongst Silvan Elves so he would have developed through their own, quite unique, culture anyway.

It is a strange but excellent choice for Tolkien to have chosen one of the Silvan folk to be a part of the fellowship. It demonstrates that they ALSO were a part of ME
Old 09-25-2003, 09:58 PM   #23
Ruinel
Banned

No way is Finrod related to Legolas! NO WAY!!! I can not accept that Legolas, the barely-do-anything-at-all, and Finrod, the-most-brave-loyal-fair-and-wonderful-
of-all-Elves-ever, are related, even remotely. no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no *curls into a corner and rocks back and forth with glossy eyes*
Ruinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2003, 10:52 PM   #24
Sheeana
Lord of the Pants

Ruey, you should stop using shampoo on your eyeballs. It ain't healthy.
Sheeana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2003, 01:25 PM   #25
galadriel
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Durin1
I have always liked the idea that Legolas' mother would have been one of the Wood Elves (Thranduil apparently being of Sindarin origin). Legolas declares in "The Ring goes south" that he is of the Silvan folk. I don't know why but are can't really think of him as of purely Sindarin origin. He must have been brought up, of course, amongst Silvan Elves so he would have developed through their own, quite unique, culture anyway.

It is a strange but excellent choice for Tolkien to have chosen one of the Silvan folk to be a part of the fellowship. It demonstrates that they ALSO were a part of ME
I like that idea as well... as an elf living in both Sindarin and Silvan culture, there would be no better way to showcase Legolas's duality than giving him a Sindarin father and a Silvan mother.

Ah, come on, Ruinel... just because Legolas isn't the multitasker that Aragorn or Gandalf are doesn't mean that he's utterly worthless. He's no Finrod, but who *does* live up to Finrod? Of course, I still don't think they're related.

dreamflower
- for all things Lady Galadriel
galadriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2003, 04:39 PM   #26
Kirinki54
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by galadriel
I like that idea as well... as an elf living in both Sindarin and Silvan culture, there would be no better way to showcase Legolas's duality than giving him a Sindarin father and a Silvan mother.
Perhaps so, but if that is what Tolkien wanted to showcase, he would have been specific. As it is, we can only speculate.

Quote:
Originally posted by galadriel
Ah, come on, Ruinel... just because Legolas isn't the multitasker that Aragorn or Gandalf are doesn't mean that he's utterly worthless. He's no Finrod, but who *does* live up to Finrod? Of course, I still don't think they're related.
I perceive Legolas´ role in LotR to be one of the few Elves in any of his writings to be pictured as a fullblown personality with both humor and depth, a warrior and a poet. This is IMHO more valuable than just another Elf with a well recorded genealogy. There are many others of these. And, Legolas achieved a lot during the quest. Do we really want another Frodo or Gandalf?
'They need more gardens,' said Legolas. 'The houses are dead, and there is too little here that grows and is glad. If Aragorn comes into his own, the people of the Wood shall bring him birds that sing and trees that do not die.'
Kirinki54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2003, 09:48 AM   #27
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Quote:
Originally posted by Ruinel
No way is Finrod related to Legolas! NO WAY!!! I can not accept that Legolas, the barely-do-anything-at-all, and Finrod, the-most-brave-loyal-fair-and-wonderful-
of-all-Elves-ever, are related, even remotely. no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no *curls into a corner and rocks back and forth with glossy eyes*
Hee-hee. Have you forgotten that Thingol is also related to your beloved Finrod. Closely related.
Old 10-07-2003, 08:44 PM   #28
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Artanis
Hee-hee. Have you forgotten that Thingol is also related to your beloved Finrod. Closely related.
Yeah, that is too bad. Poor Finrod.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote