Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Fantasy and Sci-Fi Novels
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-04-2003, 10:29 AM   #1
den
Sapling

suggestions...

I wound up on this site as a fan of the ME books, mostly the Hobbit. I am looking for more books by authors other than tolkien, but that are a similar style. I think I mostly like the diversity of tolkien's work, reading the hobbit, lotr, and the sil you get many different races, creatures, and environments, none which seem to be overdone. I'm mostly looking for a style similar to lotr or the hobbit. Any suggestions?

Also, I finished reading Dune, and I really enjoyed that. I like the style of sci-fi that is I guess... realistic. Something like Dune, in it's style. Again, any suggestions??
den is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 11:07 AM   #2
Varda Oiolosseo
Tea Bag Queen

Sorry.

I went into a bookshop the other day looking for something along those line of being similar to LOTR. I was reccomended 2 books which i bought Sabriel and the Forestwife.
They are fantasy/adventure. I've started Sabriel it's really good and quite creepy.

If you ask in a good bookshop they should be able to help you find something you like and set you in the right direction
Varda Oiolosseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 05:27 PM   #3
Sheeana
Lord of the Pants

If you liked Dune, then I'd recommend the Foundation trilogy by Asimov. Have you read all the Dune sequels? They're good as well. Fantasy is harder. I find most Tolkien rip-offs to be pretty crap. I really enjoyed Wizard of Earthsea though. You could also try Enders Game by Orson Scott Card, and Revelation Space by Alistair Reynolds (both scifi.)
Sheeana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 10:41 AM   #4
den
Sapling

Thanks to everyone who is (and will) reply. Every time I go to a bookstore, I get "I really don't read that genre, so I don't know". I'm not looking for a Tolkien "rip off" exactly, but I guess along the same route. I like following the dwarves and elves and men, and I'm looking for furhter stories about them , and the adventures.

I have not read the Dune sequels yet, you think they are good? I'm usually dissapointed by sequels, but if they are recommended... I just read too many "spacey" sci-fi... not that that's bad, but I'm looking for more realistic. I did read Red Mars (I think thats the title anyway... read a bunch of mars books in a row and get mixed up on the titles) about terraforming mars... that was good. Same thing, a little more based on realism.

I will check out Sabriel.
den is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 05:28 PM   #5
Sheeana
Lord of the Pants

The "Foundation" trilogy has that realism you're looking for. It's not quite the all-encompassing world that is Dune, or Middle Earth, but it's more in line with the Red Mars type of sci-fi - hard scifi, I would guess. Yes, I would recommend the sequels, because Dune only really hints at the world that is Arrakis, and beyond, but then you could say that I'm biased! Alistair Reynolds also writes with a degree of realism - so much so that I had a hard time actually getting into Revelation Space. But it's a damned good read once you get used to the style - much like Red Mars, etc. You could also try reading the Thomas Covenant books by Stephen Donaldson. I don't much like them myself, but the world is certainly detailed more than a lot of fantasy. I've also heard that his Gap books are supposed to be quite good (scifi.)
Sheeana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 08:09 AM   #6
anduin
Entwife

How about Magician by Raymond Feist? It is the fist book in the Riftwar trilogy. Some similarities with Tolkien, but you'll soon forget them. Here's a brief description I stole from the net.

Magician tells the tale of two boyhood briends from the Kingdom of the Isles. Their fantasies of becoming soldiers of the castle garrison are swept away when a mysterious ship crashes on a nearby shore. As invaders from a faraway land threaten to conquer all known civilization, fate destines one boy to become one of the greatest mages ever lived, and the other to receive the evil inheritance of a civilization long since gone. When these two young men grow to their full power the war receives a whole new dimension.

This books is not as indepth as Dune or LOTR, but it is fun to read nonetheless.
To hear the softly spoken magic spells.

anduin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 07:27 PM   #7
galadriel
Elven Warrior

Another good series by Orson Scott Card is the <i>Alvin Maker</i> series, an fantastic alternate version of early America. I've only read the first book, but it's very good so far.

If you liked The Hobbit, and you haven't already read C.S. Lewis's Narnia series, you should definitely try them. Narnia isn't quite as complex as Middle-earth, but it's just as much fun.

dreamflower
- for all things Lady Galadriel
galadriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2003, 03:18 AM   #8
Baby-K
Corruptor

Some good fantasy novels that I have enjoyed don't necessarily contain any elves, dwarves etc. but they were among my favourites nonetheless.

Try the Malazan Book of the Fallen series by Erikson. Also A Song of Ice and Fire series by George R R Martin.

For a different spin on the whole faeries fantasy read Fearie Tale by Raymond E Feist (this does however not take place in a make-believe world). Feist's Empire trilogy is also very good.

I'd also recommend Wheel of Time by Jordan - but it's not everyone's cup of tea.
Baby-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 06:37 PM   #9
Estel13
RPG-aholic Psycho

Try anything by Orson Scott Card, especially the Ender Quartet, and the Death~Gate Cycle by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman. Also, try M.S & T.H.'s DragonLance books. There's like 20 of them.
Have fun adventuring with my old friends.
Old 08-12-2003, 11:13 AM   #10
Arcala
Elven Warrior

Quote:
I went into a bookshop the other day looking for something along those line of being similar to LOTR. I was reccomended 2 books which i bought Sabriel and the Forestwife.
Sabriel has two sequels, Lirael and Abhorsen.

I'd recommend the Elric Saga, even though it's not anything related to Middle-Earth, just a good series of books. It's pretty old though. You might not be able to find it.
Stay in bed, float up stream (float up stream)

Please, don't wake me, no, don't shake me
Leave me where I am - I'm only sleeping

Everybody seems to think I'm lazy
I don't mind, I think they're crazy
Running everywhere at such a speed
Till they find there's no need (there's no need)

Please, don't spoil my day, I'm miles away
And after all I'm only sleeping..."

-from the Beatles' I'm Only Sleeping
Arcala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 04:13 PM   #11
Aewionen
Elf Lord

I recommend the Shannara Series by Terry Brooks. I love that series, it is alot like Tolkien's LotR.
And there are many paths to tread
Through shadow to the edge of night
Until the stars are all alight.

Mist and shadow
Cloud and shade
All shall fade
All shall fade

"I feel a slight tingling feeling... I think its affecting me." -Legolas during a drinking contest (EE ROTK)
Aewionen is offline   Reply With Quote