Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Writer's Workshop
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-03-2003, 09:36 PM   #1
Dreran the Green
Lady of Legends

The absence of a villain

In most stories (at least most of the ones I have read) there is a character or creature that is always there trying to prevent the hero or heroine from accomplishing their task. Tolkien had his Dark Lords and treacherous wizards, what about everyone here? Do you like having villains in the books you read, or not? Do you always write a villain or two into your own? If so, what are they like? And must there always be an opposing force to the hero/heroine?
I have been writing a fantasy book for a while now. I am almost done, but yesterday I realized I never wrote in a villain, or any sort of enemy for my main characters. There are a lot of flashbacks where they battle with different enemys, but for the main part, in the present time the story is taking place, no one. I'm torn between two options: If I write in a villain or someone to fight my characters, It will change the story dramatically, and I don't know if I want that. But without one, I'm afraid the story is really just a long dragging on of events. Again, do you like villains in the books you read?

*This is not actually true. The road to Hell is paved with frozen door to door salesmen. On weekends many of the younger demons go ice-skating down it. ~Good Omens
Dreran the Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 09:43 PM   #2
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

No, I need no villians! Life presents plenty of obstacles by itself, there's no need to create a "VILLIAN". (IMO) A villian for villians sake could be a bit trite.
Old 06-03-2003, 10:22 PM   #3
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Hehehe....I can just imagine the villian in your gardening essays, Lizra...

The Monster Cabbage!

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2003, 12:45 AM   #4
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Villainous characters are more appropriate for some genres than others. If it suits the story, go for it. If not, don't.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2003, 07:24 AM   #5
Agalayth
Elven Warrior

My story has an antagonist, but it's not important to every story. Like IronParrot said, it's appropriate in some genres, but not in others.
Old 06-04-2003, 08:41 PM   #6
turtlelover
Elven Warrior

if you don't want to change the book then don't if you think it has value and is a decent story them I'm sure it is because many times we are our own toughest critic!

"I don't know why it does this! maybe i'm allergic to bras?"-Dee
turtlelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2003, 08:44 PM   #7
Dreran the Green
Lady of Legends

True.

*This is not actually true. The road to Hell is paved with frozen door to door salesmen. On weekends many of the younger demons go ice-skating down it. ~Good Omens
Dreran the Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2003, 06:34 PM   #8
Laurus Nobilis
Enting

As long as there *is* a plot, the story won't be boring just because it doesn't have a villain. If it works as it is now, I wouldn't add a villain for a villain's sake.

I guess it depends on the story.
"...So the essential Quest started at once. But I met a lot of things on the way that astonished me. Tom Bombadil I knew already; but I had never been to Bree. Strider sitting in the corner at the inn was a shock, and I had no more idea who he was than had Frodo. The Mines of Moria had been a mere name; and of Lothlórien no word had reached my mortal ears till I came there. Far away I knew there were the Horse-lords on the confines of an ancient Kingdom of Men, but Fangorn Forest was an unforeseen adventure." ~ J. R. R. Tolkien
Laurus Nobilis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2003, 11:26 AM   #9
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

The thing is, readers have to remain interested in the book. Suspense is a great way to do that. Suspense doesn't always require a villain, but it usually comes from readers' concern for the main characters, or for minor characters.

Having a villain is an easy way to make readers concerned for the characters they've grown to care about. Villains, like I said, aren't necessary. But they are a useful tool to easily create elements that are necessary for a good story.
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2003, 02:02 AM   #10
Anglorfin
Alasailon

Obviously since you've written so much already a villian is not necessary. I think it takes greater talent than people realize for a writer to create conflict within a story without adding a "bad guy" or blatantly obvious antagonist.

"Anglorfin was tall and straight; his hair was of shining gold, his face fair and young and fearless and full of anger; his eyes were bright and keen, and his voice like music; on his brow sat wisdom, and in his hand was great skill."
Anglorfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2003, 02:24 AM   #11
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Just so long as the story keeps the reader interested, without one. Not having read the story myself, of course I can't make any sort of opinion yet on whether a villain would be good to have involved .
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2003, 04:29 PM   #12
sun-star
Lady of Letters

It depends on genre, but it also depends what you mean by a villain. If it's a cardboard cut-out evil guy whose only entertainment is making things difficult for the hero, it's not very realistic (possibly the understatement of the century). But there's nothing wrong in having two conflicting characters, as long as they are both well-drawn, properly rounded and morally complex. However difficult that is to do
For centuries to come, when not a soul
Is left to picnic on the blazing rocks,
When England is not England, when mankind
Has blown himself to pieces. Still the sea,
Consolingly disastrous, will return
While the strange starfish, hugely magnified,
Waits in the jewelled basin of a pool.
sun-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2003, 09:13 PM   #13
Adrian Baggins
Frodo's lil sis HP LotR fan

All my stories have vilans, be they people or circumstances, such as in one of my books, 4 years of a girls old life is stolen after a car accident on a rainy night on a narrow bridge and she gets amnesia. Villans can be anything, all stories even if the villan is time itself, have villans. That is my writing philosophy anyway.
Owner of the 3 unknown rings

I LIKE HIEI!! LOOK AT MY AVITAR IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHO THAT IS!!

H. Hysterically cold
I. Insanely unhuman
E. Effortlessly mocking
I. Irresistabely hott

"You're a team player, a save-the-day superhero *pause* I hate people like you." ~Hiei
Adrian Baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2003, 07:45 PM   #14
Entlover
Elven Warrior

You have to have conflict in order to have a plot.

The conflict can be between man and another human, man and nature, or man and himself, but there must be conflict of some kind or there's no plot.
Entlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 07:44 AM   #15
Eruviel Greenleaf
Alcoholic Villain-Fancying Elf Pirate

I'm having way too much fun not being clear on who's "evil" and who's on the side of "good" and what is good anyway and who gets to say what's right and wrong, and all of that.

My main story right now has the main character going from being on what she thought was the side of good and right to suddenly being thrown into a rather permanent situation in which she is on the side she had been fighting, because of one moment of lost faith. So the main conflict in that bit of story is her trying to figure out if there really ought to be sides, and who's right and who's wrong, and all that. Because she can either, at this point, turn herself in, kill herself, or deal with her situation and get used to it. Without much doubt or thinking she goes for the last option, because now she has the freedom to enjoy herself now. What she does spend time thinking about is why she was killing these people before, and if it is "right" that an organization exists, or if these people are by nature evil. Stuff like that. So there's no villain except her own thoughts, really.

"Whoever has come to understand the world has found only a corpse, and whoever has found a corpse is superior to the world."
-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Eruviel Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote