Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Fantasy and Sci-Fi Novels
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-07-2001, 07:56 AM   #1
Gez1

About Tolkien :)

I have read The Hobbit, Lord of the Rings and the Silmarillian(sp?) (all more than once) I know that there are other books out there. Any suggestions? I'm not really into short stories but.. if they have to do with Middle Earth, I would be interested.
Old 01-07-2001, 08:10 AM   #2
juntel

Re: About Tolkien :)

(btw... Silmarillion...)

After the post-humous publications of The Silmarillion, the other post-h. that followed was Unfinished Tales, which contained many unpublished extra stories and extra versions of stories about all the Ages of Tolkien's world.
So, you might be very interested in this one.

Also, Christopher Tolkien then decided to publish, little by little, the variations/work in progress that his father was doing (or whatever one might call them), in many volumes under the overall name of The History of Middle Earth (if i'm not mistaken...). In these, you'll find many more variations, including philological notes... At that point it was too much for me, but you might be interested to have a look.

Then of course, there is the little story/poem The Adventures of Tom Bombadil...

At this point, I'll leave others with better (much better!) knowledge than me about these things continue here for you...
Old 01-07-2001, 03:00 PM   #3
Eruve

I'd recommend Unfinished Tales next. It's much easier going than HOME. Also if you decide to delve into HOME, you don't really have to read them in order. The most interesting volumes, to me at any rate, are the last three (even though I haven't read XI and XII). The published Sil. is taken from the texts that appear in these volumes (OK, not XII, that's the Appendices to LOTR), and there is much else of interest besides. You might find <a href=http://www.forodrim.org/daeron/md_hm.html>this site </a> helpful.
Old 01-07-2001, 10:29 PM   #4
Finduilas

Read Unfinished Tales before you start on HoME (I did it the other way which means it can be done that way too, but it took a few years to get really interested.)
If you like the Numenor stories, I would have to recommend HoME V (The Lost Road) and HoME IX (Sauron Defeated).
HoME VI through the first half of IX are all about the LOTR and the others are mostly Silmarillion texts.
Old 01-09-2001, 02:34 AM   #5
Elysha

"Roverandom" and "Farmer Giles of Ham" are delightful.
Old 01-10-2001, 02:08 AM   #6
Finduilas

Also "Smith of Wootton Major".
Old 01-10-2001, 04:08 AM   #7
Elanor

Don't forget "Mr. Bliss"!
Old 01-10-2001, 07:50 PM   #8
Finduilas

Leaf By Niggle is pretty good too.
Old 01-11-2001, 05:57 AM   #9
Gez1

Thank you all for you advice! I see that I have a LOT to catch up on.
I have seen alot of these stories in Book Stores but have not bought them because I didn't want to deal with "Hack" versions.
Thanks for the recomendations!
Old 01-11-2001, 09:07 PM   #10
Finduilas

Go for it, and become a Tolkien addict.
Old 01-13-2001, 06:32 AM   #11
Gez1

Thanks again for all the great suggestions! I'm afraid that I am already an addict! I began reading Tolkien around 75" and have been a Fantasy Buff ever since! I will be sure to grab some of the titles that you all have given me.
Long Live Elves, Hobbits, Wizards, Men and Boogie Men!:rollin:
Old 01-15-2001, 06:45 PM   #12
dunedain lady

There's also The Lays of Beleriand, which are marvelous poetry!
Old 01-15-2001, 08:29 PM   #13
Finduilas

In some ways, the Lays tell the stories even better than the Silmarillion.
Old 01-30-2001, 03:53 AM   #14
Gez1

The Silmarillian is one of my favorite books. The historical backround that it provided made it easier to understand Tolkiens version of downfall and redemption with reguards to Elves and Men.