Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-25-2002, 11:58 PM   #21
Renille
Elven Lady of Speed-posting

(What IS this new habit of unburying 2 to 3 year old posts? It's so cool! )

About Denethor, though- I don't think he was "bad" in the sense that he was a willfully not good person. He was just a very confused who fell into something too strong for him and came off the worse because of it. It, for me, showed once again how pride can ruin normal humans.
BTW- I don't remember Feanor as ever really being implied as bad in the Sil. or UT. I just understood him to be VERY VERY tragic and EXTREMELY unlucky.
(from Seussical the Musical. Listen to it...watch it...really.)
Renille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2002, 06:42 PM   #22
Nilvasaien
Hobbit

I agree that Denethor is flawed, perhaps even highly so. Yet he lived with despair and dread for so long; how could he be well-adjusted? The fact that many of us can empathize with him, even though we don't like him, is testament to Professor T's talent.
Old 04-16-2003, 07:28 PM   #23
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Re: Denethor

Quote:
Originally posted by Darth Tater
I believe that this is the best written character in Tolkiens LOTR. He is a troubled old man, but not the usual bad guy. He has all the qualities of a real "bad" human. He has reasons for not being a great guy, he's troubled in a way that's real. Denethor is a masterpiece.
Though I don't think he's the best written character in LotR, I agree that Denethor is a masterpiece. He really is. I always find troubled and crazy characters in books very interesting. And as you say, he's troubled in a way that's real.
What also interests me is that his madness is somewhat jusified. He has been corrupted by the PalantĂ*r, he has seen what Sauron wanted to show him. It would take a tremendously strong psyche not to go insane after using the PalantĂ*r as much as Denethor did.

Am I crazy if I expect Darth Tater to read my answer to his post, which he wrote in 1999?
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2003, 09:56 AM   #24
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

Quote:
Am I crazy if I expect Darth Tater to read my answer to his post, which he wrote in 1999?
Yes. You are.

I agree with your post though. Doesn't mean I like him, tho. My poor beloved Faramir- not you Jonathan (Lalaith's little Faramir)
Linaewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2003, 02:38 PM   #25
Jonathan

In the upcoming film, I hope Denethor will not be described as a villain. It's my opinion that he doesn't deserve that. Peter Jackson can make him a little wicked, but he shouldn't make him an evil person comparable with let's say Saruman.
On the other hand, I hope he's really mean to Faramir in RotK. Faramir might be my favourite character, but I think it will spice him up a little if Denethor is nasty to him.
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Old 04-20-2003, 03:13 PM   #26
azalea
Long lost mooter

Did you just make a movie post in the book forum? (just kidding)
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2003, 03:25 PM   #27
Jonathan

It can be a little confusing when there's two LotR forums, one for the books and one for the movies. That makes it impossible to have a thread concerning everything about Denethor, for example.
But maybe that's why there is a Middle-Earth forum. Are you obliged to move this whole thread to the ME forum now, because of my post?