Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-26-2000, 06:10 AM   #21
Pippin Skywalker

Re: The XXVII Olympiad : Join Me All Fans! :)

This will fire everone's imaginations.....
If you could do a sport(s) in the Olympics...which would you do?

Me: Summer: Gymnastics, Swimming...maybe track or eqeustrian (I actually have had formal training...under two Olypic medalists...I'm not kidding....this is New York.....)

Winter: Skating!

Anybody else?
Old 09-26-2000, 08:57 AM   #22
emilsson

Summer: I'd go for soccer. I used to play it a few years ago.

Winter: I don't know, maybe it'd be fun to try hockey.
Old 09-26-2000, 09:53 AM   #23
Fat middle

i'd play football (soccer for the americans).

BTW, just heard our third goal against the USA . okay, you don't mind soccer, but it'd be a dishonour for us to loose against the american team. I don't think you can win Chile at the 3rd-4th match, anyway good luck USA!
Old 09-26-2000, 12:15 PM   #24
Eruve

Summer: equestrian or gymnastics (except I don't have the build for gym...) I used to ride when I was in high school and I dreamed of being in the show jumping. Unfortunately, equestrian is an extrememly expensive sport!

Winter: As most of you could already guess, figure skating! (Yes! the season is alomst here!!!!! Skate Canada here I come!!!) Actually, I don't skate myself, I just love to watch.
Old 09-26-2000, 04:26 PM   #25
Gilthalion

Like Eruve, I like to watch figure skating!

If I were to choose some events to participate in...

I used to be pretty good amongst my level of opponents (intermediate).

Archery! I was fair to middling, but I liked it!

Square Dancing! Not an Olympic event, and I'm not any good at it anyway, but I just thought I'd throw that one in there!
Old 09-27-2000, 02:04 AM   #26
arynetrek

Summer: archery, fencing, judo, gymnastics (the only sport i formally participated in - but that was really long ago)

Winter: bobsled (hehe, from a person who's seen snow 3 times!), speed skating, figure skating (pairs, if i could fins someone to join me)

aryne *
Old 09-28-2000, 01:00 AM   #27
Elanor

the only olympic sports I ever really watch are gymnastics and figure skating. It's just so cool to see all the amazing things people can do with their bodies. I like to watch a lot of other sports if I get into them, but I don't go out of my way to turn the TV on for them. I rarely watch TV anyway... I saw the gymnastics gala thing last night--wasn't that nifty? I'm sad that it's over.
Old 09-30-2000, 12:25 AM   #28
Shanamir Duntak

SNOW!!!

Aryne you've only seen snow 3 times??? Don't worry, you're ain't missing nothing. Beautiful to watch the falling snow... it's another thing to get it out of the parking. And it's cold. And it gives the cold. And it becomes brown after only one day. And when it melts, it produces "slush" that eats leather and do white spots on your clothes!

SNOW!!!!
Old 10-05-2000, 02:58 AM   #29
arynetrek

Re: SNOW!!!

yes, i've only seen snow 3 times - once in Chicago & twice in Dallas. in 18 years, it's snowed twice down here - once when i was in preschool & again last winter.

but then i live in Dallas where everything is nice & warm & if people don't complain about the 100+ days, everything's great...

back to the Olympics -

Synchronized swimming - really surreal.

Gymnastics - SVETLANA GOT A GOLD! she was such a perfectionist, she deserved one... but if i were her, i wouldn't sneer at silver medals...

Drug scandals - they took away a gymnast's medal because she had Sudafed (common OTC antihistamine) in her system. that's gettign a little paranoid, i think. and WHY did NBC need to make such a big deal over Marion Jones' husband who wasn't even in the olympics & his positive drug tests?

Russia - is it my imagination, or did all their favorites lose the gold?

Commentators - they all need to shut up.

Running - go Marion! enough said.

Unfortunately i missed the closing ceremonies. anything really memorable happen?

aryne *
Old 10-05-2000, 04:55 AM   #30
Shanamir Duntak

It was beautiful... you really missed something.
Old 10-05-2000, 08:05 AM   #31
Pippin Skywalker

That was the best fireworks I have seen in my life.BRILLIANT!
Old 10-05-2000, 09:00 AM   #32
Fat middle

provided by a Spanaish company, btw

possibly, the best that Spain has done in these Olympic Games
Old 10-05-2000, 12:15 PM   #33
Eruve

aryne

The drug in Sudafed is banned because it's a stimulant. I think it can be potentially performance-enhancing. This is the third time that I know of where an athlete has tested positive for this substance and had titles/medal stripped and faced possible banishment from their sport. All three cases were a doctor's mistake: the athlete had a cold and was told it was OK to take this. It seems to me the team doctors ought to know which cold medicines are banned and which aren't. The other two cases were Silken Laumann in rowing, where she had a world title (I think) taken from her and her participation in the Atlanta Olympics was jeopardized; and Elena Berezhnaya last year in figure skating. She's a pairs skater and was world champion in 1999, favoured to win the championship again with her partner, but because of a cold, she was stripped of the Grand Prix Championship title and barred from competing at World's last year. I don't know that all this is going overboard, it may be. But I think the doctors could do their job better.

About C.J. Hunter. They made a majorly big deal over this on CBC. I think it is a big deal because he's not the only one; he's just the only one who was named. US track and field makes a big deal about how their athletes are clean and then covers up positive drug tests. Unfortunately it taints all the US performances.
Old 10-05-2000, 09:44 PM   #34
thrawn96

Re: aryne

Uzbekistan won 4 medals!!!
1 Bronze
1 Silver
2 Gold!