Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-03-2003, 01:56 PM   #61
jusu
Sapling

The end is as hobbit-like as can be, very down to earth and sensible, but still extremely touching as you also now know everything Sam knows. - "Well, I am back."

Some prolonged enjoyment you get when you read the appendix. Aragorn and Arwen's story is there and the ending is also brilliant, elf and dwarf, best friends leave together with the last ship as Gilmi is allowed to join Legolas due to his love to Galadriel which shows how much power she really has also in the West.

Last edited by jusu : 04-03-2003 at 02:21 PM.
jusu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 11:15 AM   #62
Aragorn_of_the_west
Enting

Quote:
Originally posted by Strange-Looking Lurker
I think any other ending would not have fit with one of the biggist themes in Tolkien: sorrow. Can you think of a single Tolkien story were something beautifull or great is not lost?
All of his stories are sad at one point or another
Aragorn_of_the_west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2003, 01:51 AM   #63
TheWhiteRider
Elven Warrior

yes, but that's definitely something that increased the enjoyment for me. If it all ended just perfect than I would be dissapointed. I think it is also a sign of tolkien's good writing, as it would be easier to just write a perfect ending, but to write an ending that is touching, and shows some sacrifice, but all are still happy, takes a good writer.

"Begun, the Clone War has..."
~Yoda

"I can't see, as I'm facing your pitiful lies, don't have the strength, to carry your heavy load of lies."
~H.I.M.
TheWhiteRider is offline   Reply With Quote