Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-04-2000, 12:49 AM   #1
Sauganast

stop-motion

Does anyone here know anything about making stop-motion movies? Me and a friend are in the middle of one right now, we just finished constructing an incredibly large castle out of lego, as you will probably guess, it is a lego stop motion. I have a camera (a digital but am having trouble deciding how to film it, its between using the photo to tape mode or recording in really short bursts. If anyone knows anything about this, could you please help me?

Thank you
Old 11-04-2000, 07:28 AM   #2
Niffiwan

Well you know that you're supposed to move it not nearly a milimeter (unless it's moving fast), then take a "photo" of it, etc. Then you put all the photos together.
Although 10 frames per second is alright (to a degree), it is somewhat choppy and you should use at least 24 fps.
Heh, I guess this is all stuff you already know...

BTW, remember that the position of the camera is as important as it would be on a live-action film, so that in certain places you might want to slightly move the camera as well as the figures so that you can look at things from another angle, etc.
But remember to keep the action moving at the same pace.

I suggest you do some experimenting first, to see what it looks like if you move it 1 milimeter per frame, 1 quarter-inch per frame, etc; experiment first, then start when you're sure about everything.

This probably doesn't help but at least I tried...
Old 11-04-2000, 03:57 PM   #3
Gilthalion

Re: ...

Observe my Election Cam! This changes, but is actually stop motion!

I used my digital camera on a tripod so that it would not move. I composed the shot, set the timer, posed, set the timer again, posed again, etc. I then assembled the individual shots (after trimming) into an animated GIF. I vary the frame speed frame by frame so that they move at different rates.

It takes a little while to load, and then it shows freely. I used a rotoscope from the LORD OF THE RINGS animated movie to make the Sauganast picture (which you have never used!).

Old 11-05-2000, 12:16 AM   #4
Sauganast

Re: ...

Thanks for giving me the advice, and sorry Gil, I never realized you had made that picture for me, but now I have put it as my personal icon.
Old 11-05-2000, 02:23 AM   #5
Elanor

Re: stop-motion

doesn't that make you dizzy?
Old 11-05-2000, 07:17 AM   #6
Loopy

Legos! That is so cool. Can you post pics?
Old 11-06-2000, 04:53 AM   #7
Sauganast

Hopefully I will, if I ever get around to taking the time to put them up, than I will. Otherwise, no, but they will be found at my stopmotion site once it is up and running (site will not contain only stopmotion, only some stop motion). A friend of mine made a short 1 minute space movie, but that is our next mission, a good space lego movie. We have ideas for lasers and everything, then onto the Lord of the Rings lego movie, which is already started. But we need a lot more practice before we start that one, wouldn't want to make a LotR movie less then perfect.