Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-02-2003, 10:33 PM   #1
Finmandos12
Elven Warrior

HOME Questions

Well, its good to be back here after a year or so. I've now read most of HOME, except for the four that concern LOTR. What are those four like? Do they just concern the development of LOTR, or do they have signicant differences?
Old 01-02-2003, 11:01 PM   #2
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Hmmm, we must think alike. Those are the volumes that I don't have either.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2003, 11:04 PM   #3
Finmandos12
Elven Warrior

I think that its just the very nature of LOTR compared to the Sil. The fact that LOTR was completed, it doesn't seem there would be much else to say. The Sil, on the other hand, was never really finished. That's why its more interesting to investigate to me.
Old 01-02-2003, 11:10 PM   #4
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

I guess I just loved the Sil more than LotRs.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2003, 12:46 AM   #5
BeardofPants
the Shrike

I'll let you know after I've read them... which could be a while.
Old 01-03-2003, 07:20 AM   #6
Falagar
Death of Mooters and [Entmoot] Internal Affairs

It's 'Sauron Defeated', 'The War of the Ring', 'The Return of the Shadow' and 'The Treason of Isengard', right?
I haven't any of those either, but I also miss 'The Shaping of ME', which I'll buy next.
I've also been wondering about what they are like, I've always thought they were much like the others: with texts that Tolkien wrote, re-wrote, looked over once more and perhaps changed names, texts that he later trashed, etc...
Old 01-03-2003, 09:19 PM   #7
Elvet
Elven Warrior

Volumes 6 to 9 of HoME were the first ones I read. Basically they showed an evolution of the full story, often many versions and rewrites. I enjoyed seeing how the characters came to be, particularly Strider, who for most of the early versions was a hobbit called Trotter. These books are full of detail, some tedious and some fascinating. They are not in themselves a story, nothing you would read without being familiar with the finished book. I say that, because the other 2 that I've read - Morgoth's Ring and the War of the Jewels seemed more like a collection of short stories.
BTW, at the same time I was reading Vol. 6 - 9 , I was also reading Tolkien's Letters. It was a good companion to those books, and I highly recommend it as an adjunct to HoME .
Old 01-04-2003, 01:58 AM   #8
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

I've read Sauron Defeated, The War of the Ring and The Treason of Isengard. Generally, it is rough drafts organised coinciding with the chapters in TLOTR. There is a lot of detail, such as notes by Christopher (like the BoLT and Morgoths Ring) and the chronology (which was a little boring for me). Some pictures of key places (like Orthanc and Cirith Ungol) are included. At the end of Sauron Defeated there is a part called The Notion Club Papers (which I skipped, as I had really no idea what this was) and some drafts concerning the drowning of Numenor.
Old 01-04-2003, 01:30 PM   #9
Elvet
Elven Warrior

Thanks for reminding me, Cassiopeia. I really enjoyed the Notion Club Papers. It was a story of scholars getting together to discuss their writings, (obviously based on the Inklings) and dreams. Turns out that one (or 2) of them have dreams about a great flood destroying their cities, the gist being that they are linked to a people like the Numenoreans from their distant past. It's unfinished, but a good read anyhow.

Last edited by Elvet : 01-04-2003 at 01:31 PM.
Elvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2003, 08:15 AM   #10
Findegil
Elven Warrior

If you want to beging with the history of the Lord of the Ring (HoME volume 6 to 9), without the risc of buing a book that isn't intresting for you, take volume 9. There are not only the Notion Club Papers which are complet new story from your obviosly preferd autor, but there is also the Epiloge to the Lord of the Rings. I enjoied that part very much. Reading about Sam and his children playing question and answer and the talk to Eleanor - it is worth buying the book any way.

By the first part you will get some clou what the rest of the books is like (only a clou because the further you go back in the story the more rewriting ocured).

Respectfully
Findegil

Corected my wrong numbers, thanks Artanis!

Last edited by Findegil : 01-08-2003 at 07:42 AM.
Findegil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2003, 05:00 PM   #11
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Findegil, you're talking about volume 9, not 10. HoME 9, Sauron defeated.
Old 01-07-2003, 12:36 PM   #12
Blackboar
Legolas's beloved sister and Queen of the Wood Elves of Mirkwood

Location: Under the hill at Bag-end, Hobbiton the Shire Or Rivendell,I can't remember!!!!!!!!!!
Can I ask a question? (duh)

Which HoME book talks about the Return of the Noldor?
Blackboar is offline   Reply With Quote