Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Fantasy and Sci-Fi Novels
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-16-2002, 08:08 PM   #1
azalea
Long lost mooter

Mary Stewart

This is another series I really enjoyed, about Arthur.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2002, 01:23 PM   #2
TwirlingString
Elven Warrior

Location: My mother would say somewhere between the adult mystery section and the YA sci-fi
OOoooh, I think I know what you're talking about. Didn't she write ummmmmmmm The Crystal Cave (about Merlin) and a book about Moragan Le Fay where Lancelot was in love with King Arthur? (Wait, was that Lancelot?)
"The Astels are an emotional people. They cry at the drop of a handkerchief. Their culture is much like that of Pelosia. They're extremely devot and invincibly backward. It's been demonstrated to them over an over that serfdom is an archaic, inefficent institution, but they maintain it anyway--largely at the connivance of the serfs thmselves. Astellian nobles don't exert themselves in any way, so they have no concept of human endurance. The serfs take advantage of that outrageously. Astellian serfs have been known to collapse from sheer exhauston at the very mention of such unpleasant words as 'reaping' or 'digging'."

-----------------------------------------------

“They lost him?!” Lupin asked , amazed. “Voldemort has been after Harry for 15 years, and then he misplaces him?!”
TwirlingString is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2002, 02:09 PM   #3
azalea
Long lost mooter

Yes, that's right. I read the whole series.

No, Lancelot was not IN LOVE w/ Arthur. But he loved him.

Last edited by azalea : 04-17-2002 at 02:10 PM.
Old 04-17-2002, 02:11 PM   #4
TwirlingString
Elven Warrior

Location: My mother would say somewhere between the adult mystery section and the YA sci-fi
I loved those, but refused to read to the end because i hate the end of the Arthurian Legends. Nobody ever makes it a HAPPY ending.:sad:
"The Astels are an emotional people. They cry at the drop of a handkerchief. Their culture is much like that of Pelosia. They're extremely devot and invincibly backward. It's been demonstrated to them over an over that serfdom is an archaic, inefficent institution, but they maintain it anyway--largely at the connivance of the serfs thmselves. Astellian nobles don't exert themselves in any way, so they have no concept of human endurance. The serfs take advantage of that outrageously. Astellian serfs have been known to collapse from sheer exhauston at the very mention of such unpleasant words as 'reaping' or 'digging'."

“They lost him?!” Lupin asked , amazed. “Voldemort has been after Harry for 15 years, and then he misplaces him?!”
Old 04-18-2002, 07:59 PM   #5
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Her trilogy is a marvelous read. It's filled with magic.
Old 04-18-2002, 08:06 PM   #6
azalea
Long lost mooter

Twirling String, I recommend you read The once and Future King by T.H. White. It's one of my favorite books of all time. It doesn't have a happy ending, but it is a really funny book about Arthur.

The Disney movie The Sword and the Stone ws based on it.
Old 04-18-2002, 10:30 PM   #7
cee2lee2
Elf Lord

Mary Stewart and TH White are both excellent story tellers and I enjoyed both versions of the Arthur legend. Another version is Marion Zimmer Bradley's The Mists of Avalon. I think it's interesting to see what the different authors focus on.
cee2lee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2002, 11:04 PM   #8
TwirlingString
Elven Warrior

I read the Mists of Avalon, I didn't read the end of that one either. I REALLY hate the end of that legend. I've read a sword in the stone too. THAT one i finished. I didn't like that ending either. Poor arthur was sooo miserable, about as much as Merlin was when it really sunk in what was happening.

Old 08-12-2002, 03:52 PM   #9
Rûdhaglarien
Elven Warrior

Yeah, I read the Merlin Trilogy (The Crystal Cave, The Hollow Hills, and The Last Enchantment all in [COLOR=orange-red]one big orange book[/COLOR] !). I am now reading The Wicked Day. I also read her book The Ivy Tree recently. It was okay, but definately not as good as any of her Merlin books.

Last edited by Rûdhaglarien : 08-12-2002 at 03:53 PM.
Rûdhaglarien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2002, 10:07 PM   #10
TwirlingString
Elven Warrior

I got threw book one of the merlin ones, but the ending made me made and I never finished the series. Plus I had this lurking fear that he ened up trapped in a rock. That was vaguely remember from a book I read in 4th grade

Old 08-13-2002, 01:55 AM   #11
Rûdhaglarien
Elven Warrior

Actually, not to give it away or anything, but that aspect is a tid bit* happier than that.

*Yes, I know it's tad bit, but tid bit sounds so much better...
Old 08-13-2002, 04:18 PM   #12
TwirlingString
Elven Warrior

Well i also remember him falling in love with an evil lady who broke his heart and she either killed him or put him in the same statis that aurthurs in

Old 08-13-2002, 09:58 PM   #13
webwizard333
Elf Lord

Actually, her Merlin trilogy has a rather happy ending in my opinion. I have fond memories of reading the big orange book too. The Wicked Day has a sadder ending, but the Authur story is pretty sad no matter how you look at it. I'm just starting to read her book, The Prince and the Pilgrim.
Old 08-15-2002, 09:44 AM   #14
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

I must agree the Merlin series does end on a happy note. Lots of interesting story lines explored too.

TMOA is a great book from a different viewpoint. The tv movie with Angela Houston wasn't too shabby either.
Old 09-01-2002, 09:30 PM   #15
katya
Elven Maiden

oh my gosh i read the crystal cave a few years ago and i just loved it!! i should reread it...i tried reading the second one in the trilogy and almost bought all 3 but i couldnt get into it at the time... i had almost forgotten about these books! they're great! well anyway thte one i read was...ok well anyway...i dont know. good book.
katya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2002, 08:53 AM   #16
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
Since I'm very interested in King Arthur I've the following books about him now:

A A Attanasio's quartet

Roger Lancelyn Green's K A and His Knights of the Round Table.

and recently bought Steven R Lawhead's quintet.

Would somebody please list Mary Stewarts King Arthur-related books, I would like to buy whatever she's written.

Last edited by Grey_Wolf : 09-16-2002 at 08:58 AM.
Grey_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2002, 11:14 PM   #17
TinuvielChild
Padawan

I read the Crystal Cave for summer reading and I couldn't put it down! I've only gotten halfway through the Last Enchantment, and I must admit that it's already taking a sad turn. My favorite is definitely the Crystal Cave, but the Hollow Hills is a close second. OOOOOH! Has anyone read the books by Gerald Morris about Sir Gawain? The Squire's Tale; The Squire, His Knight, and His Lady; The Savage Damsel and the Dwarf; and Parsifal's Page? They're awesome! I read them awhile ago, but I still remember them as being awesome.

Oh, and mine is also the big orange book. Did anyone notice that the cover art is by Greg Hildebraandt? He does some really, really, really awesome stuff with dragons...

Dance as though nobody's watching.
Sing as though nobody's listening.
Dream as though you'll live forever.
Live as though you'll die tomorrow.

EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMEDDCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO and proud!

FRODO LIVES!!!!!
TinuvielChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2003, 03:01 PM   #18
TwirlingString
Elven Warrior

I knew there was a sequal, but i never read it.