Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-14-2002, 05:08 PM   #1
Nilore
Elven Warrior

Location: I am every where and I am no where, I am everyone and I am no-one! HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!
Dinosaurs?

Did Dinosaurs ever live in Tolkiens Worlds?

Nilore

Raise the Phial of Galadriel and let the Star Glass of Lothlorian cast out the Darkness of Shelob's Lair.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Naur an edraith ammen! Naur dan i ngaurholth!

There was a roar and a crackle, and the tree above him burst into a leaf and bloom of blinding flame. The whole hill was crowned with a dazzling light!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

bhûl latu dûmp

Accept Your DOOM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

DIE MERE MORTALS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh NO I AM A MERE MORTAL

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG GGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Stop the NUKE Stop the NUKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nilore writes last will and testament.

Gets on knees

And begs God for Mercy.

Realizes He's already dead

Flies up to heaven ( By the power of Red Bull) and lives happily ever after. THE END

( It's a MINI adventure)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Nilore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2002, 06:25 PM   #2
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

What do you mean by "Worlds"? In the legendarium the Lord of the Rings belongs to, I think the answer is "yes". For one thing, at the time of the Lord of the Rings, Tolkien had a world in mine that was "scientifically" (if that is the right word) more akin to our own (the Earth rotates around the Sun, and all that). For another thing, in one of the Letters, and I cannot find the book at the moment, a reader asks if the winged beasts of the Nazgûl are supposed to be pterodactyls. Tolkien answered "yes and no", explaining that the beasts aren' supposed to be any sort of equivalent or symbol or representative of pterodactyls, but that they certainly were supposed to be the unlikely survivors of a time in which such beasts roamed the world as can be read about in our myths of dinosaurs -- not that dinosaurs did not exist, but we have definitely embellished the life of dinosaurs. In other words, taking on a Secondary Belief of Tolkien's world, the winged beasts were the real pterodactyls.

But even the primitive mythology of the published Silmarillion, I think there is evidence of dinosaurs:
Quote:
Now Melkor began the delving and building of a vast fortress, deep under Earth, beneath dark mountains where the beams of Illuin were cold and dim. That stronghold was named Utumno. And though the Valar knew naught of it as yet, nonetheless the evil of Melkor and the blight of his hatred flowed out thence, and the Spring of Arda was marred. Green things fell sick and roted, and rivers were choked with weeds and slime, and fens were made, rank and poisonous, the breeding place of flies; and forests grew dark and perilous, the haunts of fear; and beasts became monsters of horn and ivory and dyed the earth with blood. ...

-- Of the Beginning of Days