Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-09-2001, 01:52 AM   #1
Forge315

I Want To Join

I’m a big Tolkien fan, but one problem plagues me, I don’t know that much about the books. And I have only read the first four books and only twice at that. So could somebody possibly help me?

What I would like is a confined list of essential books about Middle Earth? This list would hopefully give me the knowledge needed to become an essential poster here. There is also lots of other information on web sites that I should know, so what sites should I look to?

Thanks; I really appreciate it!
Old 08-09-2001, 01:58 AM   #2
bmilder

Re: I Want To Join

Welcome to the board!

Really, the major books you need to read are The Hobbit, The Lord of the Rings, and the Silmarillion. But the good thing about this board is that we have separate forums for each book. So if you've only read the Hobbit, you can hang out there, for LotR readers there is the LotR Forum, and if you've read Silm you can discuss that in its forum.
Old 08-09-2001, 02:20 AM   #3
Shanamir Duntak

Re: I Want To Join

Unfinished Tales are great too.... lot's of old legends to read.

[edit] BTW, welcome to the board!
Old 08-09-2001, 02:55 AM   #4
Forge315

Thanks!

Thanks!
Old 08-09-2001, 03:01 AM   #5
Darth Tater

Re: Thanks!

We have posters who haven't read any of the books, so really just jump in and have fun, we don't care if you don't know Tolkien, as long as we can convince you to know his stuff eventually
Old 08-09-2001, 05:09 AM   #6
Manwe Sulimo

There is no escape! If you start posting here, you WILL become a Tolkien-fan!! No matter if you wish to be one or not, you will become one!

Ohh, I agree, Unfinished Tales is a great book, and should be on any list over books to read about ME, but it is kind of heavy going, really... so is the Silmarillion in the beginning, but... Great books!
Old 08-09-2001, 11:18 AM   #7
anduin

Hullooooo! Welcome to the board.

Just make yourself at home in any of the forums that suit you. The Tolkien forums are very friendly, so feel free to ask any and all questions you have.
Old 08-09-2001, 03:13 PM   #8
noldo

phew, and I thought that my knowledge on Tolkien's works was small.

Quote:
The Tolkien forums are very friendly, so feel free to ask any and all questions you have.
Friendly my a**...
Old 08-09-2001, 03:38 PM   #9
Fat middle

where did you get your new pic, noldo?
Old 08-09-2001, 03:43 PM   #10
noldo

From fan.theonering.net/rolozo, it's by Eismann, one of my favorite Tolkien artists.
Old 08-09-2001, 04:54 PM   #11
webwizard333

Hi, and welcome to Entmoot (make lots of posts in the Hobbit forum).
Old 08-09-2001, 08:07 PM   #12
gdl96

I've only read the Hobbit and the first few chapters of Fellowship of the Ring, and I've been here for close to 2 years! Take your time.
Old 08-09-2001, 08:54 PM   #13
captain Tarpols

Well I have read the Hobbit, Fellow ship, and Two Towers (Well I have had it read to me, and I started to read it awhile ago, and I have only about 10 pages left; maybe I'll finish it later this week). No one holds it agains tme that I haven't read Return of the King....So post til your fingers come off :P
Old 08-10-2001, 05:36 AM   #14
Manwe Sulimo

I've only read the Hobbit four times, entire LoTR six times, Silm. four times and Unfinished Tales two times, and feel that it is too little... ehm... that had no meaning whatsoever in here... ah well...
Anyways, as you understand, there is no requirement to be an expert on anything to post here, and besides, there are lots of forums that has nothing to do with Tolkien, really... so just post where you want to, and feel free to ask if there is anything you wonder about...
Old 08-10-2001, 12:33 PM   #15
anduin

Noldo.....you don't think the LOTR forums are friendly? How come?

And about Eismann, I really like his art too. His style reminds me very much of Tolkien's. I think that when I update the sliders at the Tolkien Trail I will feature Eismann's art work. Are there three pieces that you are particularly fond of? If so, I will use those three.