Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-16-2002, 08:21 AM   #41
Mithr@ndir
Sapling

Gandalf

one of my fav bits is the bit where the fox talks comments ont eh hobbits sleeping in the open in TFOTR
quant
Old 08-16-2002, 04:38 PM   #42
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

I think that "fox talking" but was kind of a "Hobbit" throw back. A bit silly if ya know what I mean

I don't know... My dad warped the chapters so much when he read them I thought most of them were rather funny
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2002, 08:16 PM   #43
Sanna
Hobbit

Favorite parts

I found the final casting of the ring (along with Gollum) into the heart of Mount Doom very uplifting; a great relief overswept me despite the fact that I knew it would eventually happen. I also loved it when the two hobbits awoke after their rescue by Gandolf, and Sam thought it was all a dream until he looked at Frodo. I was so happy they were alive, and that they had succeeded.

The end of Return of the King was horrible and great for me at the same time. The picture in my mind was serene and beautiful, yet the fact that Frodo, Bilbo, and Gandolf were leaving forever tore at my heart. I did not want them to leave and I cried at their depature. It was like I was standing there on the shore with Pippin, Merry, and Sam, watching my friends sail away, wishing they could stay but knowing they could not.

And then I read the afterward, about what happened after the departure of Gandolf and company. When I came to the spot that said the fellowship is broken, I felt like crying, even though it was just a single sentence along a time line of events. And I felt it again when I reached the part about Arragon's passing.

It seems to me that one of Tolkien's greatest accomplishments, his creation of a world so real that it's hard to believe it is all a fantasy, is a bittersweet thing. It was such a beautifully written epic, and I became so drawn in to it that I was actually pained for it to all end. And even though I know that it was just a story, it still doesn't feel that way.

Sanna
Sanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2002, 03:58 AM   #44
ThorinOakenshield
Sapling

Gimli

One of the most dramatic points in LotR for me, personally, would have to have been the discovery of the Book of Mazarbul in the Tomb of Balin, short-lived dwarven king of Moria. Also, the subsequent battle to hold the main door shut while not allowing themselves to become entirely shut in as was the mistake of the dwarves of Balin's company. The east door does Gandalf implore the companions to keep drawn, and through it they escape. The entries in the Book of Mazarbul itself, torn and battered, tell a terrible, melancholic tale of Balin's failed recolonization attempt, setting a mood that struck exceptionally powerful chordic emotions within me. Then again, all of Tolkien's writings seem to have a similar effect on my emotions.
Lastly, anything of Dwarvish concern is right up my ally. Until next we meet again! *ThorinOakenshield*
Old 08-18-2002, 01:18 AM   #45
Lanelf
Elven Warrior

My favourite?
Anything with Sam and Frodo in Mordor. Particularly Cirith Ungol and Shelob's lair. And after the Ring's destroyed with Gollum - though that "Nine-Fingered Frodo and the Ring of Power" (not precise quote) was just tasteless. I mean, the dude's lost his finger so you say, "Don't worry, soon they'll be telling stories of how you lost your finger and they'll say "Sick!" and "Eww!"' and I'm going on about this stuff again, sorry.
If this post has severely annoyed anyone, well, just ignore me next time.

Artemis Fowl must find Mulch Diggums!

You'll never shut down the real Napster
Lanelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2002, 01:48 AM   #46
olsonm
Elf Lord

My favorite part is their brief pause at Cerin Amroth. But it's only a favorite among favorites.
Old 08-18-2002, 03:06 AM   #47
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Just stumbling through another of my favourites... Eowyn and Faramir in the houses of healing. I love how she slowly sheds her mantle of aloofness, and coolness towards him.
Old 08-18-2002, 06:11 AM   #48
Sween
im quite stupid

Merry and pippin at the gates of isengard had me in stiches.
Old 10-19-2002, 12:37 PM   #49
Linarryl
Elven Warrior

My favorite chapter is 'The White Rider' from the two towers. I think it funny, I don't know why.
*GO LEGOLAS!*
Linarryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2002, 03:04 PM   #50
Keith K
Elf Lord

My favorite scene occurs during the siege of Gondor. The Witchking has broken the gates and crossed the threshold. All have fled except for Gandalf and Shadowfax. Suddenly the wind changes, the dawn opens, and horns are heard wildly in the north. A truly awsome moment.
Keith K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2002, 05:05 PM   #51
Treebeard's apprentice
Elven Warrior

The Battle of Helm's Deep. It gives me such a thrill when the daylight breaks and the orcs find themselves between Helm's Deep, the White Rider, and a 'forest' that wasn't there the day before. The best part is when they decide to take their chances with the Ents and never come out again. HA!
I can't wait to see that on the big screen. Well, I made it this far, so guess I could make it a few more months, but I'M SO EXCITED!
Treebeard's apprentice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2002, 06:03 PM   #52
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Not really a favourite moment but I've always loved the paragraph where Bombadil holds up the Ring and peers through it at the Hobbits.............have always imagined Sauron as seeing Bombadils eye staring back at him could really ruin meglomaniac maiar's day that

Beatallica
Coney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2002, 01:30 PM   #53
Erawyn
Elven Warrior

I agree with most of what everyone has already said, but i'll say it again!
Eowyn vs. the Nazgul
When Sam and Frodo get to the house he bought and Merry and Pippin are there, and make him take them along.
When they meet the elves for the first time.
When the hobbits hear the cries of the Nazgul when they are still in the Shire. I think it is written so well, very creepy and good

I think my very favourite parts of the book are usually just little bits of dialogue. I love when Eomer threatens Gimli, and Legolas says something along the lines of "you would be dead before your stroke fell" and when Gimli stands up for Aragorn when the guard in Edoras tells him to lay down his weapons. I love the little moments in the book when you see the deep friendship between the members of the fellowship, and you know that they will defend each other to the death. I especially like the friendship between Legolas and Gimli, and the hobbits. It makes me wish i was in the fellowship. I guess that sounds crazy...

"Be not so bigoted to any custom as to worship it at the expense of Truth."
Johann Georg von Zimmermann
Erawyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2002, 07:15 PM   #54
mirial
Enting

I liked the actual DYING of Gollum, I mean, I like that entire chapter (can't remember the name) because it really makes you cross your fingers for the characters and feel their pain.

Sleep, my baby, on my bosom,
Warm and cozy, it will prove,
Round thee mother’s arms are folding,
In her heart a mother’s love.
There shall no one come to harm thee,
Naught shall ever break thy rest;
Sleep, my darling babe, in quiet,
Sleep on mother’s gentle breast.

Sleep serenely, baby, slumber,
Lovely baby, gently sleep;
Tell me wherefore art thou smiling,
Smiling sweetly in thy sleep?
Do the angels smile in heaven
When thy happy smile they see?
Dost thou on them smile while slumb’ring
On my bosom peacefully.
mirial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2002, 01:39 PM   #55
Elrénia
Sapling

I liked Lothlorien because there is more of the elven language in that chapter.
Old 11-08-2002, 03:27 PM   #56
TolkienGurl
Hobbit

Gandalf

*The Fellowship of the Ring:
My favorite chapter is A Journey in the Dark. I really like Moria, and learning about its history. There are so many "nameless" creatures that have never seen day, and chambers underwater that have not been explored since it was inhabited during its prime. Spooky!
My favorite part in the chapter is the encounter with the Balrog.

*The Two Towers:
My favorite chapter is Treebeard. I really like the Ents. They are so interesting!
My favorite part is when the Ents are marching to Isengard.

*The Return of the King:
My favorite chapter is the Siege of Gondor.
My favorite part is when the Lord of Morgul confronts Gandalf.

Last edited by TolkienGurl : 11-08-2002 at 03:29 PM.
TolkienGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2002, 12:04 AM   #57
Cirdan
Elf Lord of the Grey Havens

"a Conspiracy Unmasked" for the sense of comradeship that goes beyond individuals thrown into circumstance together.

"Journey in the Dark" for the sheer excitement and wonder.

"The Mirror of Galadriel" for the odd mixture of magic, comfort, fear, and home sickness all in a single moment of clarity.

"Treebeard" because it weaves the old world and the new while providing a vehicle to give Merry and Pippen more story.

"Of Stewed Rabbit" for it's odd comfort in the midst of the bleakness surrounding. (I liked it enough that I ate rabbit... once)

"The Battle of the Pellenor Fields" for the best battle.

"Mt. Doom" for the dramatic moment.

"Scouring of the Shire" for the revenge factor.

And all the rest as chapters in my favorite book.
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Cirdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2002, 01:28 PM   #58
Ms. Undomial
Custous Sanctus

Favorite Chapter:
Battle of the Peleannor fields

Favorite moment:

"Begone foul dwittermailk lord of carrion. leave the dead in peace." A cold voice answered "come not between the Nazgul and his prey, or he will not slay thee in thy turn. he will bear thee away to the houses of lammantation,beyond all darkness, where thy flesh shall be devoured and thy shriveled mind be left naked to the lidless eye!" A sword rang as it was drawn."do what you will; but I will hinder it if I may." "Hinder me? Thou fool. No living man may hinder me!" Then Merry heard of all sounds in the hour the strangest. It seemed that Dernhelm laughed, and the clear voice was like the ring of steel. "But no living man am I! You look upon a woman. Eowyn I am, Eomund's daughter. You stand between me and my lord and kin. Begone, if you be not deathless! For living or dark undead, I will smite you, if you touch him"
My signature!
I must not fear. Fear is the mind killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. - Dune
Ms. Undomial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2002, 05:34 PM   #59
Blackboar
Legolas's beloved sister and Queen of the Wood Elves of Mirkwood

Location: Under the hill at Bag-end, Hobbiton the Shire Or Rivendell,I can't remember!!!!!!!!!!
Gollum

I think the bit where Sam thinks Frodo is dead at the end of the 2nd buk is really sad (boo hoo) then Sam carries on without him then the orcs get Frodo!
I think the bit in Mount Doom is good too when Frodo loses his finger and Gollum falls into fire.
Blackboar is offline   Reply With Quote