Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-16-2002, 12:43 AM   #21
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally posted by The Lady of Ithilien
Aragorn gave it to Arwen when they became engaged.
He did?? I remember Elrond gave it to Aragorn, but can't remember Aragorn giving it to Arwen. (I love that line when Aragorn meets Arwen for the first time and says (basically) "I haven't seen YOU before, has your dad kept you locked up in his hoard?)

I agree about the ring, though - what a marvelous heirloom!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!

Last edited by Rían : 09-16-2002 at 12:44 AM.
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2002, 08:09 PM   #22
The Lady of Ithilien
Elven Warrior

I love this board -- there are always excuses to go back into the books

That was a good line of Aragorn's, wasn't it. The note on Aragorn giving the ring of Barahir to Arwen was obscure -- it's in Appendix B, year 2980 of the Third Age. Somehow it didn't get into the part of the tale of Aragorn and Arwen that's in Appendix A.

I just saw that there are numerous references to the ring of Barahir in The Silmarillion but haven't the energy to go in and look them up just now to see if my question is answered there.
The Lady of Ithilien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2002, 08:48 PM   #23
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Thanks for the reference, Lady of Ithilien Sure enough, he did! What a neat gift - I enjoy things that I have from my great grandmother, and that's only a short time compared to how old that ring is.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 09-22-2002, 12:26 PM   #24
Lefty Scaevola
AngAdan

The ring of barahir was not used as a sybol of royalty in Numenor (and in fact was passed to a junior line of of the royal family), nor was it so used in Arnor or Athedain. it appears to have been a perosnal heirloom of the family, rather that a royal heirloom. Note however that is is always used as a symbol of faithfullness, fidelity. Every time it is mentioned it is in connection with the making or keeping of a pedge.
Lefty Scaevola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2002, 11:20 PM   #25
markedel
'Sober' Mullet Frosh

And elendil being the faithful it is fitting, as with the northern line which maintained its blood tie to elendil.
Old 09-24-2002, 07:19 PM   #26
Dain
Hobbit

An Elven ring, made by the Noldor in Valinor and given by Finrod to Barahir during Dagor Bragollach as a pledge of his aid to Barahir and his kin. When Barahir was slain in Dorthonion, his hand, bearing the Ring, was cut off for proof of his death, but Beren recovered both hand and ring, at great peril to himself. He brought the ring to Nargothrond during the Quest of the Silmarils, and Finrod fulfilled his pledge, giving his life to save Beren in the dungeons of Minas Tirith.
The ring was somehow preserved through the rest of the First Age and passed into the hands of the Faithful Numenor in the Second Age. In the Third Age it was one of the Heirlooms of the North-Kingdom; at the fall of Arthedain Arvedui gave it to the chief of the Lossoth, from whom it was afterwards ransomed. Thereafter it was kept at Rivendell.
The ring was in the fashion of two serpents with emerald eyes, one devouring and the other supporting a crown of golden flowers. Also called the ring of Felagund
Dain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2002, 12:04 AM   #27
Rían

It's interesting to picture Beren walking through the Guarded Plain, holding up the ring to keep himself from getting shot by the hidden archers of Nargothrond.

Last edited by Rían : 09-26-2002 at 12:05 AM.