Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-20-2002, 05:57 PM   #21
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Sween
it depends how you want to pretent yourself. I mean sometimes me and my mates go in chat rooms and pretend to be women and laugh at all the sad perverts.

Its easy to lie online. thats the whole problem not so easy to lie to someones face.

I have met someone off the net b4 she lived in the same town as my cousin and i had talked to her for a year or so and everyopne was at work so i thought may as well texted her and we did. it was fun but a bit awarkward. i would only meet people if it were convient and they didnt scare me.
Well, goofing around in a chatroom isn't the same as talking one on one to someone for two years, and then feeling comfortable enough to go meet them in person and find out that all that time you were intentionally lied to about everything.
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2002, 06:04 PM   #22
Sween
im quite stupid

Quote:
Originally posted by Sister Golden Hair
Well, goofing around in a chatroom isn't the same as talking one on one to someone for two years, and then feeling comfortable enough to go meet them in person and find out that all that time you were intentionally lied to about everything.
well its not hard to lie for 2 years. The the thing about the internet is you can sit tyhere and kinda think well should i tell her the truth or should i tell her what she wants to hear? Plus you have got to rember there a lot of weird people out there. I mean i've had people begging to meet me saying they will leave there bf and all sorts of stuff i mean who does that? Just got to consider that some people are sad and odd and its easy for them to hide it.

I feel the internet is a haven for lossers esspecially the chat rooms not here of course we are all really cool and a lot of people i feel would like to believe they are the person they are presenting themseleves to be. Its a kinda escapism.
Old 08-20-2002, 06:09 PM   #23
BeardofPants
the Shrike

There's still a difference between goofing around, and stringing someone along for two years. However, neither case is deliberately malicious. Nor is my german friends situation. These are relatively harmless occurances. The scary thing is, that there are some people out there who do intend harm.
Old 08-20-2002, 06:23 PM   #24
Sween
im quite stupid

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants
There's still a difference between goofing around, and stringing someone along for two years. However, neither case is deliberately malicious. Nor is my german friends situation. These are relatively harmless occurances. The scary thing is, that there are some people out there who do intend harm.
voice of reason as ever. So here has lied on line. I may of told a few white lies in my time. But i tend to exgerate more than lie. For example

Girl x: so when did you lose you viginity
David: Oh when i was 11 to a gergeous blonde named stacy (real story 2 a not so gergeous blonde at age 15)
Girl x: oh was it nice and romanatic
David: oh yes i layed rose petels all over the bed (we did it down ally)
Girl X: ohhhhh thats so sweet see her again?
David: well we dated for a bit then you know drifted apart (real story i was so drunkl i dont rember much about it but after having her pointed out to me when sober its probably for the best we didnt date)

acctually thats just flat out lieing. Anyway the point im trying to make is sometimes the truth just isnt that plesent and thats why many people will just lie.
Old 08-20-2002, 08:42 PM   #25
Rána Eressëa
The Rogue Elf

I would never go to meet someone without bringing the family along.
Rána Eressëa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2002, 08:51 PM   #26
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally posted by Rána Eressëa
...without bringing the family along.
No way. The person would think that I'd taken them to the circus or something.
Old 08-20-2002, 08:51 PM   #27
Ben
Retired Ent

As I said in the other thread, I've met a number of Entmooters, and they've all turned out ok.

I suppose you just have to hope for the best. I met Tater, Nolendil, and IronParrot together with my entire family and their family came as well. It's a bit harder to fabricate an entire family .

Also, other than the Entmoot 2001 thing where it was a whole group, the meetings just worked out with our schedules. We didn't specifically travel just for the meeting, so it wasn't inconvenient. IronParrot was visiting a college near me, DT was visiting grandparents in my state, and my family was vacationing in the state where Nolendil lives.

formerly known in the forums as bmilder

Owner of The Tolkien Trail and Entmoot.

Buy Entmoot shirts and mugs!
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2002, 05:29 PM   #28
osszie
Elven Warrior

I've met several people I've come into contact with throught the internet (I host in a chatroom when I'm not browsing these boards )

We've always kept the meetings short and sweet, maybe lunch and a couple of drinks after.

I think most people want to meet up because of a natural curiosity about the folks they chat with............and a long term meeting.........say agreeing to stay at someones home .......at an initial meeting is just crazy to me

keep it nice and simple initially ...... and see where it goes from there............that's the rule I stick to........and I've made some great "real life" friends (as opposed to internet friends) and those of us who didn't get along at the meetings.......well it was just an hour or 2..........so no-one got burned

do I lie on the internet ................not personally........but there are plenty who do
osszie is offline   Reply With Quote