Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-14-2002, 02:01 PM   #21
Galenavar
Elven Warrior

Okay, my first intro to Tolkien was the animated Hobbit when I was like, eight or so. I loved that movie! Still enjoy it. Then I saw the animated Return of the King, was really dissapointed, and found my mom's collection of Lord of the Rings and the Hobbit. I read them all the way through in a matter of months, at age eleven, was hooked, read the Sil, part of Unfinished Tales, and then saw the movie, which I loved. So, yeah, that's my basic Tolkien history.

sorry if that got a little long and littered with unneeded info, but I get a little passionate at times.
Galenavar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2002, 05:34 PM   #22
HobbitChick88
Elven Warrior

Arwen Undomiel

It was first the Hobbit, then LOTR, but it was intodiced to me because my dad knew the movie was coming out and he really loved the books and stuff.

"And if it seems evil to you to serve the Lord, choose for yourselves this day whose you will serve, whether the gods which your fathers served, or the gods of the Amorites in whose land you dwell. But as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord."
-Joshua 24:15

Step follows step,
Hope follows courage.
Set your face toward danger
Set your heart on victory!

"Where is Elizabeth?"
"She's safe, just like I promised. She's all set to marry Norrington just like she promised, and you get to die for her just like you promised. So we're all men of our word, really....except for Elizabeth who is, in fact, a woman."
~Will Turner and Jack Sparrow, POTC

fROdO LIVeS!!!!
HobbitChick88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2002, 06:59 PM   #23
Khadrane
Elf Lord

I was introduced to The Hobbit a little over three years ago. I loved it, so I real LotR.

FRODO LIVES!

ABORTION IS HOMICIDE
Khadrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2002, 07:23 PM   #24
Sminty_Smeagol
Manic Cardboard-Box Dweller

book...

When I first began going to "real school" (I homeschooled until 7th grade) and the teachers there started learning that I liked fantasy they all asked me if I had read any books by Tolkien. Also around that time my mom, who had never read anything by tolkien and knew (and continues to know) very little about middle-earth, began telling me to read them. She said some people she knew said I aught to. I was angry. I was in to Harry Potter, with direct magic and everything and when my mom (who I don't get along with in the first place) began telling me about some book she said I would like, about fat midgets with furry feet and Frobby-bob who has to kill a ring or something (almost exactly my mothers words), I was offended that she thought I would like something like that. I had heard very vaguely about LOTR and the film coming out, VERY vaguely, as in, I wasn't sure if they were called hobbits or gabbits.

We were at books a million in early august, 2001. I needed a book to read for school. There was a Lord of the Rings/Tolkien stand out, promoting the upcoming movie. I bought a boxed set with LOTR and the hobbit, that said, "an epic motion picture trilogy coming soon from new line cinema". It wasn't the movie version, thankfully, so I didn't have a SINGLE image from the film in my mind when I read them. I believe up to this point I hadn't seen anything about the upcoming movie, and I didn't until November-ish. I think I liked the books, they were fascinating yet not entertaining really. I fell asleep a few times. No *real* interest.

Then I went to see the movie the day it came out with my best friend (none of my friends in real life, NONE of them, have read LOTR. The two that have only make it through FOTR). That really sparked a fuse. I saw it six times in theatres and pre-ordered the DVD (which I have watched 3 times since it's arrival at my house on aug. 8). I have read the silm, the hobbit, and own about 15 tolkien books (2 boxed sets of LOTR). I am asking for TTT cd and posters for xmas (I have 2 posters from fotr), and the Unfinished Tales and HoME.

Woo... enough of my lecture LOL... DARN! I'm going to get grounded for typing this rather than doing the dishes. GTG!

-~*Sminty*~-

SUMMARY: books.
Sminty_Smeagol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2002, 08:58 PM   #25
Lady Legolas
Sapling

My first Intro. was the Hobbit, My Aunt gave it to me. It somewhat bord me, so after that I picked up Lord of the Rings, and I loved it, and it gave me a better view of the Hobbit. (Somehow)

¤Lady Legolas¤
Old 08-18-2002, 11:12 AM   #26
Diaxion
Elven Warrior

Gandalf

Well I was introduced through Tolkien I think by my father or by watching the animated version of the Hobbit. My cousin was really into tolkien and so I finally read the Hobbit. I beleive that it was then after bmilder made his first Tolkien site that I then read Lord of the Rings. My most recent Tolkien book that I have read is the Silmarlilion( I probably spelled that wrong)
Old 08-18-2002, 03:28 PM   #27
galadriel88
Halfwitted Queen of Lothlorien

Arwen Undomiel

Ok, this could take a while....

Me and my best friend both really like Harry Potter, and we needed something to read in between books. So over the summer of 6th grade, while I read some non-fantasy stuff, my best friend picked up The Hobbit. She liked it and began reading LOTR at the start of 7th grade. I saw her with FOTR and asked if it was good, would I like it, etc. So for my birthday in September, I asked for LOTR and The Hobbit. I read the Hobbit first and finished FOTR about 3 weeks before the movie came out. I am sorry to say that images from the trailers, etc. shaped my vision of some of the characters, which I regret. I wish that I had read the books earlier. I even remember seeing a copy of The Hobbit in my 6th grade teacher's classroom, but sadly I just thought "What in the world is THIS? That is so WEIRD!" and went on. i fi had read it then I would probably have read FOTR before I had seen many pictures form the movie.

+Every good thing that comes into my life is only a reflection of the greatest gift of all; the offering of yourself, dear Son of God+

Always remember, you're uniqe, just like everybody else!

"The one constant through all the years has been the Trombone. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. Its been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again, but the Trombone has marked the time. This field, this section, this band is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and could be again. Oh, people will come . . . people will most definitely come."
galadriel88 is offline   Reply With Quote