Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Fantasy and Sci-Fi Novels
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-17-2002, 06:25 PM   #1
Brokehorn4000
Elven Warrior

Anything about Dinotopia

Anything about anything Dinotopia is welcome to be posted here, but if you can't think of anything to post then here are a few questions to get started:

1) What is your favorite dinosaur?
2) What would you do if you were mysteriously shipwrecked on Dinotopia?
3) What kind of dinosaur would you like to have for a saurian life partner?
4) Where would you live in Dinotopia?
5) Who went to the lecture and book-signing by James Gurney in Washington, D.C.?

You don't have to answer all these questions unless you want to. It's just in case you can't think of anything to post!
Old 07-19-2002, 08:59 PM   #2
Carafin
Elven Warrior

I read Dinotopia a while ago but unfortunatly can't think of answers to any of your questions (except #5- no) I guess I'll have to read them again

four be the things I'd be better off without,
love, curiousity, freckles, and doubt
Queen Guinevere?
Though all to ruin fell the world,
And were dissolved and backward hurled,
Unmade into the old abyss,
Yet were its making good for this,
The dusk, the dawn, the earth, the sea,
That Luthien for a time shoud be ~
~Beren: The Song of Parting
Carafin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2002, 04:54 PM   #3
Galenavar
Elven Warrior

It has been a long time since I read the books, but I think I can still answer some of those questions.
1)either a protoceratops, pteranadon, or deinosuchus (you know, the librarians)
2)I would definately make the most of it. I would try and get off at first, but if I couldn't, that would be okay too I guess
3)hmmm...too hard to decide. They are all so cool!
4)I always thought that Waterfall City was awesome.

Oh, and who saw the Dinotopia mini-series? That was awesome! It strayed from the book a little, but it was still really cool.
Galenavar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2002, 10:15 AM   #4
webwizard333
Elf Lord

I used to love this book when I was younger, and war really looking forward to the mini-series on ABC. I hated the mini-series, but that's just me (I think it was the incredibly worthless sun stones). I was at Barnes & Nobles the other day, and as I was leaving I noticed a Dinotopia book about some pirates invading Dinotopia. So I went home, and learned online that there were about 20 Dinotopia books in all, though like the Oz books, they're not all by the same author.

1.Brontosaurus
2.get food, avoid being eaten, etc.
3.Brontosaurus
4.Waterfall City
5.not me
Old 07-24-2002, 06:34 PM   #5
Galenavar
Elven Warrior

Quote:
I noticed a Dinotopia book about some pirates invading Dinotopia
I know what book you're talking about and it is great. I reccommend reading it if you haven't yet.
Oh, and that is really cool about there being 20 Dinotopia books. Too bad they aren't the same author though. Oh, well. I'm still going to have to keep an eye out for them, out of curiosity.
Galenavar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2002, 11:47 AM   #6
Brokehorn4000
Elven Warrior

I was actually surprised at how many novels there were. The miniseries was alright, and it did sort of stray from the books, but it was okay.
Old 08-03-2002, 08:58 PM   #7
katya
Elven Maiden

i have not read any of the books or seen teh miniseries, but i would like to say that as far as i can translate it, dinotopia literally means "terrible place". think about the word dinosaur. you may have heard that it means "terrible lizard". well the dino in dinotopia would be terrible, and topos in latin is place. also, if you didn;t know, utopia (that book by st/sir thomas moore) means "not place". pretty clever.
katya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2002, 10:37 AM   #8
Brokehorn4000
Elven Warrior

I will respect your opinion, but I also have my own. James Gurney invented a world called "Dinotopia", where the name means Dinosaur Utopia, where humans and dinosaurs live together in harmony and paradise. That was his interpretation of the words, even though 'dinosaur' does mean 'terrible lizard'. To him, dinosaur is a general term that is used to describe a race of ( in Dinotopia) living prehistoric reptiles. Each one magnificent and unique in its own right.

Anyway, if you haven't read the Dinotopia books by James Gurney (because there are smaller novels based on the original Dinotopia except written by different authors) I suggest you should at least look through the pictures. They are the most beautiful paintings of intricate detail. And the dinosaurs' structures are based on real paleontological finds.

Please don't insult Dinotopia until you know something about it, katya.

Last edited by Brokehorn4000 : 08-04-2002 at 10:40 AM.
Brokehorn4000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2002, 04:08 PM   #9
katya
Elven Maiden

i am sorry if i appeared to have meant anything bad about saying that dinotopia means terrible place. i have not read or seen any of it, and that gives me no right to do that, even if i wanted to or would. i only found humor in the way that the title translates and since i had nothing better to do than to share that with anyone else who cared. i am sure it is a great series and perhaps i will even read some or more of it. i understand what it was meant to mean, and after all dino is often used for shor tfor dinosaur, but it's still strange. again, i am sorry if i have been out of place and i hope you will accept my humble apologies.
katya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2002, 03:02 AM   #10
Willow Oran
Deus Ex Machina

I used to love those books. Actually, I've only read one of the original ones, I read the spinoff stories before I knew the originals exsisted. I still reread them every once in awhile. I think my favorites are Firestorm and Riverquest.
Tough Guide To FantasyLand

...it's not much of a show if somebody doesn't suffer, and preferably at length. Suffering is beautiful in any case, and so is anguish; but as for loathing, and bitterness... I don't think they belong on the stage at all.

- Isabella, I Gelosi
Willow Oran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2002, 08:49 AM   #11
Brokehorn4000
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by katya
i am sorry if i appeared to have meant anything bad about saying that dinotopia means terrible place. i have not read or seen any of it, and that gives me no right to do that, even if i wanted to or would. i only found humor in the way that the title translates and since i had nothing better to do than to share that with anyone else who cared. i am sure it is a great series and perhaps i will even read some or more of it. i understand what it was meant to mean, and after all dino is often used for shor tfor dinosaur, but it's still strange. again, i am sorry if i have been out of place and i hope you will accept my humble apologies.
I will definitely except your apology, katya. Thank you and welcome to Entmoot!

P.S. The illustrations are of the highest degree of art! I love them!