Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-13-2002, 08:21 PM   #41
Christiana
Elf Lord

Location: Searching desperately for a swan boat to take to Valinor
nolendils right.it is beyond anyones imagining.

Having someone to blame is nearly as good as having a solution to the problem

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them, and you habe their shoes. ~Frieda Norris
Christiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2002, 09:47 PM   #42
Comic Book Guy
Best Ex-Administrator ever

Before Melkor became "Dark and Terrible", as it were, the Ainulindale describes Arda as beautiful and the Ainur loved the vision of the Children of Illuvatar.
Comic Book Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2002, 02:24 AM   #43
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

Quote:
Step off. Without Melkor there would have been no snow, no rain, no joy. You can't have happiness without sadness, life without death, pain without pleasure, or good without evil. A bright perfect world my left buttock.

A serene flat grey field with a bunch of white suited mumbling syncophants is what you'd have gotten. Oh sure, no boredom. Patients on thorazine in the mental ward aren't bored either you know.
I said not that a perfect world would be without Melkor. Melkor had his place in the designs of the One, a very high place, if it may not be said to have been the highest. Melkor was the greatest created spirit, and if he had not fallen than all would have been Good and Blessed, and all his doings would have been Good and Blessed. What good came of Melkor's evil came in spite of that very evil. It was out of the very Marring of Melkor that good came. Melkor is not to be thanked, if beauty was born out of his malice, against his will.

We can't have happiness without sadness, or life without death or pain without pleasure or good without evil, because these are concepts of ours and we live in a fallen world. We may know day by night and happiness by sadness, but we never knew aught else, in Tolkien's mythology. The fact is, if Melkor had never fallen, there would be happiness without sadness, though such a thing is beyond our fallen comprehension. There would be no Shadow hovering over Death, and death would be recognised by all as a thing good and natural to we mortals. We would return to our long awaited homes outside the Universe and would meet this journey willingly. No pain would disturb our pleasure, for there would be Good and Good would Be and Good would be All That Is.

A promising morning and a good day,a peaceful evening and a blessed night of rest without fear. You have never known this, my friend and I have not either, so I understand you. How can we know good, without evil? How can we no hope without despair? How indeed? I know not, but we would have known it, had Melkor not become I Moriñgotho, The Dark Foe of the World.

Blessed is boredom, maybe, to a fallen Man.

Last edited by Ñólendil : 08-14-2002 at 02:28 AM.
Ñólendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2002, 08:05 AM   #44
Blackheart
Elf Lord

<and if he had not fallen than all would have been Good and Blessed, and all his doings would have been Good and Blessed. What good came of Melkor's evil came in spite of that very evil. It was out of the very Marring of Melkor that good came. Melkor is not to be thanked, if beauty was born out of his malice, against his will.>

I say he was set up. Purposefully created to fall.

In much the same manner as the genesis myth. What kind of madman puts two monkeys in a garden and says "Do ANYTHING you want... except eat this fruit!"

Queer haow a cravin' gits a holt on ye -- As ye love the Almighty, young man, don't tell nobody, but I swar ter Gawd thet picter begun ta make me hungry fer victuals I couldn't raise nor buy -- here, set still, what's ailin' ye? ...
Blackheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2002, 11:24 AM   #45
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Ñólendil

I said not that a perfect world would be without Melkor. Melkor had his place in the designs of the One, a very high place, if it may not be said to have been the highest. Melkor was the greatest created spirit, and if he had not fallen than all would have been Good and Blessed, and all his doings would have been Good and Blessed. What good came of Melkor's evil came in spite of that very evil. It was out of the very Marring of Melkor that good came. Melkor is not to be thanked, if beauty was born out of his malice, against his will.

We can't have happiness without sadness, or life without death or pain without pleasure or good without evil, because these are concepts of ours and we live in a fallen world. We may know day by night and happiness by sadness, but we never knew aught else, in Tolkien's mythology. The fact is, if Melkor had never fallen, there would be happiness without sadness, though such a thing is beyond our fallen comprehension. There would be no Shadow hovering over Death, and death would be recognised by all as a thing good and natural to we mortals. We would return to our long awaited homes outside the Universe and would meet this journey willingly. No pain would disturb our pleasure, for there would be Good and Good would Be and Good would be All That Is.

A promising morning and a good day,a peaceful evening and a blessed night of rest without fear. You have never known this, my friend and I have not either, so I understand you. How can we know good, without evil? How can we no hope without despair? How indeed? I know not, but we would have known it, had Melkor not become I Moriñgotho, The Dark Foe of the World.

Blessed is boredom, maybe, to a fallen Man.
Geez Nolendil, you sound a lot like Finrod talking to Andreth.
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2002, 01:23 PM   #46
Archbob the Elder
Enting

Melkor deserves a place right besides the other Valar.

He is pretty much the onlt one with full emotions and feelings. Remember in the sim, it state "for Melkor of all the Valar knew fear."

You can't be a full being without knowing fear.
Old 08-14-2002, 03:57 PM   #47
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

I think Melkor only knew fear because he found out that the races of Middle-earth and the other Valar were capable of quite a bit of power of their own in thier defiance of him.
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2002, 04:18 PM   #48
Blackheart
Elf Lord

I think, that Melkor learned fear because he alone of all the Valar, knew what it was to be truly alone.

He learned fear in the void.

Queer haow a cravin' gits a holt on ye -- As ye love the Almighty, young man, don't tell nobody, but I swar ter Gawd thet picter begun ta make me hungry fer victuals I couldn't raise nor buy -- here, set still, what's ailin' ye? ...
Blackheart is offline   Reply With Quote