Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-07-2002, 11:15 AM   #1
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

calaquendi

As far as I know only those Elves that were explicitely born under the light of the Two Trees are considered to be Calaquendi.
That means that none of the Middle-Earth born Noldor are Calaquendi, as are Elves that were born in Aman after the Two Trees were destroyed (so, not even younger Vanyar).
Does anyone have a different knowledge?

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Culled from Entmoot From Kirinski 57 and Wayfarer.
afro-elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2002, 03:07 PM   #2
Dolenloteiel
I elenfea

Location: Somewhere in the chaos between the first and second ages! (Actually, CO)
Arwen Undomiel

The Kala-Kwendi Elves were those who laid eyes on the light of Arnom (I think it's Arnom). Kala-Kwendi in Primitive Elvish means light-Folk referring to that same light. The Mori-Kwendi, were the Dark-Folk who had not seen the light. Hope this helps
Ask me anything
"I have not failed, I've only found 10,000 ways that won't work."
-Thomas Edison
Visit Tolkien RP Site! Need members, RP all three Ages! (UNDER CONSTRUCTION) http://elvellon.suddenlaunch2.com
"Yay, I can hear the voices in my head again!
Dolenloteiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2002, 07:30 PM   #3
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

I think the name you're looking for is "Aman". I think what afro-elf is asking is whether not the children of Light-elves born in Middle-earth were considered Light-elves. They were. The same fell and fair light was seen in the children of the Exiled Noldor as the Exiled Noldor themselves, though they may not have actually seen the Two Trees. Actually "Calaquendi" in Middle-earth was only a term used by the Ñoldor, and it was soon replaced by "Amanyar". In the Reckoning of the Ñoldor, all Ñoldor, Vanyar and Amanyan Teleri were Light Elves. It does not appear to have mattered if you were born in Middle-earth.

In the Reckoning of the Grey-elves, who called themselves the Eluwaith, the only dark-elves (called by them Mornedhil) were those Elves who had not gone on the Great Journey. "Light elves" was not used by them, but the Edain and all the Elves of Beleriand who fought against Morgoth were called "People of the Light" [Celbin I think, in their tongue], and within one may find an Elf or a Man. So who a Light Elf is really depends on who you ask.

Last edited by Ñólendil : 08-08-2002 at 07:32 PM.
Ñólendil is offline   Reply With Quote