Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-30-2002, 04:19 PM   #1
Sween
im quite stupid

Inbreading??????????

forgive me for any ignorance but this has been confusing me. Are the men of middle earth inbread? i know that the noble blood stems from the surviors of Numenor. But what is a strong line of blood. do you you just need one perent to be of Numenorian blood? if you need two after a time when there numbers had dwindled they would of started inbreading. especially the line of kings. Otherwize over many years esspecially as they died out they would all end marrying there cousins and stuff.
Old 08-01-2002, 03:01 AM   #2
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
I guess it's possible, and not necessarily unlikely, though the 'inbreeding' would probably be mostly between pretty distant cousins, so the affects wouldn't always be very adverse, if even there.
Ever heard of the Hapsburgs, Hohenzollerens and the Romanovs? Three major dynasties that fell in WWI (I think...)? Lots of inbreeding. Our World History teacher told us about a royal that had the 'Hapsburg chin'. His chin stuck out so far his bottom teeth were several inches away from his top teeth, and when he died and the doctors did an autopsy, they couldn't identify his organs because he was so jumbled up.
So yeah, inbreeding is possible and probable.
Old 08-01-2002, 10:03 AM   #3
Sween
im quite stupid

I never ment to imply that brothers and sisters got together. But what is a pure line? i wanna know can a pure line of say isidur be carried on if only one perents has it?
Old 08-02-2002, 12:51 PM   #4
Mordomin
Enting

Inbreading?

Isn't that what the witch tried to do to Hansel and Gretel? Bake them in bread?
Old 08-03-2002, 02:10 AM   #5
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

Yes, I think so. None of Elendil's descendants were baked in bread, so far as is recorded. On the other hand Aragorn's father (or his grandfather Arador?) was slain by Trolls, and I suppose it is possible that they baked him in bread. But Inbreading would be a very rare occurance among Elendil's descendants.

To be a pure Númenórean, you need two parents of pure Númenórean blood. At the end of the Third Age there were (relatively) few of these.

Aragorn II was not the only descendant of Elendil or Isildur at the end of the Third Age, but he was he the only direct descendant, from eldest child to eldest child. He was thus the only one who could legitimately claim the Kingship, even though there were other living descendants of Elendil. Halbarad, cousin of Aragorn, was probably one of these. 120 years into the Fourth Age, Aragorn tells his wife that he is the last of the Númenóreans, so I suppose by that time the pure-blooded Dúnedain had ceased to exist. I actually think inbreeding less likely than inbreading, in light of Tolkien's beliefs and (come to think of it) traditional Númenórean and Elvish law.

Last edited by Ñólendil : 08-03-2002 at 02:12 AM.
Ñólendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2002, 09:26 AM   #6
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

The prophetic Woody Allen said, "wheat, wheat fields of wheat. We are all wheat". So I guess this is about wheat bread.
Old 08-04-2002, 01:06 AM   #7
Bregalad
Elven Warrior

I imbreaded some chicken for dinner tonight. It was yummy!
How do you tell if two breads are too closely related? Is that like, marble rye?

This post property of Entmoot.
Bregalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2002, 06:50 AM   #8
Sween
im quite stupid

tolkiens work kind of reminds me of clifton in west cumbria. Everyone is related in some way be it 3 cousin or whatever. And because its an isolated place its not uncommon at these kinds of places for people to marry cousins etc. This seems to be the case in middle earth.
Old 08-04-2002, 11:18 AM   #9
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
It also seemed to be the case for Europe royalty, and since Middle Earth is supposedly Europe...