Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2003, 03:38 AM   #101
gimli7410
the dumb stoner canuck

does anyone kno why americans make fun of canadians all the time. personally ithink they are mad because we beat them in the war of 1812.
"Trying is the first step to failure" Homer Simpson
"It isn't going to be easy"-jerseydevil
"only the good die young"
I AM CANADIAN

If the people lead, the leaders will follow.
gimli7410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2003, 03:53 AM   #102
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by gimli7410
does anyone kno why americans make fun of canadians all the time. personally ithink they are mad because we beat them in the war of 1812.
Ummmm if you say so, check your history, there was no defeat, yes the Americans went after Canada and a good portion of the fighting continued on the borders. The US was repelled a number of times, however the British was involved in some of that as well. Ultimately the war was halted due to a treaty in Ghent, so to say Canada beat them is a bit far fetched:

http://www.historychannel.com/cgi-bi...rd=war+of+1812

'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2003, 04:21 AM   #103
gimli7410
the dumb stoner canuck

we still burnt the white house. i think...
"Trying is the first step to failure" Homer Simpson
"It isn't going to be easy"-jerseydevil
"only the good die young"
I AM CANADIAN

If the people lead, the leaders will follow.
gimli7410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2003, 04:22 PM   #104
theonering
Hobbit

the UK:
rain
Old 05-02-2003, 05:55 PM   #105
Ragnarok
Rohirrim Warrior

I am american and I live in the USA but I think the USA is corrupt.
Ragnarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2003, 06:03 PM   #106
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:
Originally posted by theonering
the UK:
rain
Yup..........rain for the last 13hrs here

On the plus side......I don't have to mow the lawn Sunday (garden flooded again)

Beatallica
Coney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2003, 10:39 PM   #107
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally posted by Ragnarok
how so? And is it any more corrupt than any other country? And who makes it corrupt - the people who live here?

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2003, 08:23 AM   #108
Baby-K
Corruptor

Quote:
Originally posted by Coney
Yup..........rain for the last 13hrs here

On the plus side......I don't have to mow the lawn Sunday (garden flooded again)
Will send ye some of our sunshine........ Got plenty of that here in SA.

Erm, I guess I could say a few things about my country, but Andúril was here first But I could say a few things about Jozi (Johannesburg), would have to think about what you'd find interesting though....like Jozi's the only city in the world with 2 Nobel Peace prize winners who have addresses in the same street (Nelson and Desmond Tutu), it's the world's largest urban jungle & looks like a rain forest when viewed from outer space. Recently hosted the World Summit on Sustainable Development.

On another note SA has recently brokered a peace deal to be implemented in the ongoing civil war in the DRC. SA has the most democratic constitution in the world and reports are that Palestinian authorities are discussing the possibilities to implement parts of our constitution in their countries. Also SA was the first country ever to totally disarm re weapons of mass destruction.
Old 05-03-2003, 08:26 AM   #109
Lalaith_Elf
Her Infernal Majesty

um what can i say about england..... hmmmm.... cold wet cold and even more wet....
"It is a good viewpoint to see the world as a dream. When you have something like a nightmare, you will wake up and tell yourself that it was only a dream. It is said that the world we live in is not a bit different from this." - Yamamoto Tsunetomo
Lalaith_Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2003, 08:28 AM   #110
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Dúnedain
Ummmm if you say so, check your history, there was no defeat, yes the Americans went after Canada and a good portion of the fighting continued on the borders. The US was repelled a number of times, however the British was involved in some of that as well. Ultimately the war was halted due to a treaty in Ghent, so to say Canada beat them is a bit far fetched:

Didn't the Brits own Canada at the time? So, then... wouldn't it be more proper to say that it was a fight between the US and Brittish Owned Canada. After all, the Canada today is a separate and independent country... just as the US was once a colony of England, but is no longer.

Sorry, but I have to get this dig in about Canada: they still pay taxes that go to the queen of England. BWAHAHAHAHAHAA!!!! What a bunch of morons!!!
Ruinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2003, 08:34 AM   #111
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:
Originally posted by Ruinel
Sorry, but I have to get this dig in about Canada: they still pay taxes that go to the queen of England. BWAHAHAHAHAHAA!!!! What a bunch of morons!!!
Sshh, don't tell 'em............

Beatallica
Coney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2003, 08:42 AM   #112
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Coney
Sshh, don't tell 'em............
You're right... they probably have no idea. BWAHAHAHAHAAH!!!
Old 05-03-2003, 03:48 PM   #113
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by Ruinel
You're right... they probably have no idea. BWAHAHAHAHAAH!!!
Most will try to deny it. They don't like to admit that they're only a free country up to a point and that they still ultimately report to England.

And yes - the only reason why we were at war with Canada during 1812 waas because we were at war with England. The British invaded the US through Canada and tried to reclaim America - but failed for the second but not the last time. They attampted again during the Civil War by supporting the south - hoping they could come in afterward and claim the pieces.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 05-03-2003 at 03:50 PM.
Old 05-03-2003, 04:12 PM   #114
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by jerseydevil
Most will try to deny it. They don't like to admit that they're only a free country up to a point and that they still ultimately report to England.

And yes - the only reason why we were at war with Canada during 1812 waas because we were at war with England. The British invaded the US through Canada and tried to reclaim America - but failed for the second but not the last time. They attampted again during the Civil War by supporting the south - hoping they could come in afterward and claim the pieces.
HA! And the teacher thought I was sleeping during History class!

If I lived in Canada, I'd organize a march on the Capitol in Ottawa every day and protest until that was changed. But they're so compliant, I can't see that happening.
Old 05-03-2003, 06:50 PM   #115
Bombadillo
"The Bomb"

Quote:
Originally posted by Ragnarok
Yup. That is the people, not the president.

Well over the summer I'm going on a trip to Europe as a student ambassador, for the second time. THe object of this program is to clear up any misconceptions other-countriers might have of the US. Of course some bad rumors of us are true, but eh...
I felt kinda obligated to post here, being an ambassador and all.

People to People Student Ambassadors Program
Old 05-03-2003, 06:57 PM   #116
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by Bombadillo
Well over the summer I'm going on a trip to Europe as a student ambassador, for the second time. THe object of this program is to clear up any misconceptions other-countriers might have of the US. Of course some bad rumors of us are true, but eh...
I felt kinda obligated to post here, being an ambassador and all.

People to People Student Ambassadors Program
Well you obviously have your work cut out for you. There are a lot of misconceptions out there about the US and the citizens. Some things are true of course - but it's funny how many of the things they complain about in regards to the US is the same way it is in their own countries.

I think the best way to dispel the misconceptions though is for people from other countries to come to the US - instead of them thinking they know what the US is like from what they hear and perceive from media.

Are you traveling all over Europe? Which countries? You'll have to report back on how it goes. Since you've done it before - what was your past experience like?

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 05-03-2003, 07:23 PM   #117
Bombadillo
"The Bomb"

Quote:
Originally posted by jerseydevil
Well you obviously have your work cut out for you. There are a lot of misconceptions out there about the US and the citizens. Some things are true of course - but it's funny how many of the things they complain about in regards to the US is the same way it is in their own countries.

I think the best way to dispel the misconceptions though is for people from other countries to come to the US - instead of them thinking they know what the US is like from what they hear and perceive from media.

Are you traveling all over Europe? Which countries? You'll have to report back on how it goes. Since you've done it before - what was your past experience like?
Whew, when I saw you were the last person to post I was worried you'd be defending America against me, because I said the people are corrupt.

But I'm glad you asked. Two summer ago I went with 34 other kids to Spain, France, Italy, Monaco, Andorra, and the Vatican City, for 21 days total. This summer I'll be visiting Switzerland, Austria, France, and Italy, also for 21 days. Which is pretty cool; me and Johnathan might meet by chance.

Last time it was pretty fun. (I'm going again.) But it focused a lot on education, even more so than culture or communication. This year I'll have a cooler, more lenient adult leader, and a smaller group of students. So it'll be really fun.

Plus by keeping a really simple easy journal of the trip, I can get more college credits, so it's worth my while either way.

BTW, you mentioned that people shouldn't always listen to the media. Yeah, not always... France is much worse than you'd think. Pretty much everything is true about France, except for the rumor that they started wearing deodorant hundreds of years ago.
Old 05-03-2003, 07:48 PM   #118
jerseydevil

Quote:
Whew, when I saw you were the last person to post I was worried you'd be defending America against me, because I said the people are corrupt.
Nope - I knew what you meant.

And there are corrupt people - no country is perfect and no single person is perfect.
Quote:

But I'm glad you asked. Two summer ago I went with 34 other kids to Spain, France, Italy, Monaco, Andorra, and the Vatican City, for 21 days total. This summer I'll be visiting Switzerland, Austria, France, and Italy, also for 21 days. Which is pretty cool; me and Johnathan might meet by chance.
That'll be cool. You and Jonathan don't have any plans to meet? You're not scheduled to go to Sweden though I guess. Anyone from anywhere pretty much has an open invitation for me to show them around if they're ever in the area. I like to show people around and it makes it a lot easier to get around NY and the NJ area if you know someone anyway.

By the way - I've always want to go to Italy, Spain, Austria in particular. I would like to see ALL of Europe and I have always wanted to go to Russia - especially St Petersburg.
Quote:

Last time it was pretty fun. (I'm going again.) But it focused a lot on education, even more so than culture or communication. This year I'll have a cooler, more lenient adult leader, and a smaller group of students. So it'll be really fun.

Plus by keeping a really simple easy journal of the trip, I can get more college credits, so it's worth my while either way.
Did you learn anything new about the countries? And what were your impressions of them and the people. Do you know what the other peoples' impressions were of America before and after your trip?
Quote:

BTW, you mentioned that people shouldn't always listen to the media. Yeah, not always... France is much worse than you'd think. Pretty much everything is true about France, except for the rumor that they started wearing deodorant hundreds of years ago.
My friend Italy had told me not to wrory about the French - they stick their nose up to anyone who isn't French. She said they're rude in restaurants and if you can't speak their language perfectly - they're pretty obnoxious about it.

Also - when I was studying French - I went looking for french message boards and people to talk to. Repeatedly I saw - "Will talk to anyone other than an American" posted. Or people would ask - "Are you American?" And I'd say "Yes" and then they'd say - "Bye". That was 2 years ago - before the UN stuff or Iraq o 9/11.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 05-03-2003 at 07:51 PM.
Old 05-04-2003, 05:47 AM   #119
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
And how many times have you been there to form an opinion like that?
Old 05-04-2003, 03:00 PM   #120
Bombadillo
"The Bomb"

Quote:
Originally posted by Eärniel
And how many times have you been there to form an opinion like that?
Just once, for a week, but it was enough. Why, are you French? Sorry; I've got French roots if it means anything to you. Most people I encountered in France were real jerks (at least). And I've been told Paris is the grand climax of their arrogance, but I'll find out for sure in a couple months.