Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-20-2002, 10:31 PM   #1
Gerbil
Elf Lord

National Geographic documentary

Just bought it cos I felt like treating myself cos life is **** right now.

What a waste of money. More fool me for buying it on DVD too - £16 AAARGHHH (Around $20 to you US peeps).

Utter awful. Apart from the fact it was voiced by an american (nothing against Americans as such, but this is SUCH an english thing , my real gripes are:

Well, everything really. It's just downright rubbish. Nothing of interest, the ever awful Liv Tyler cooing about her favourite bits of Elvish, irrelevant footage, repeating the same WW2 shots over and over, and ....... oh I'll stop now.

Just DON'T buy it.

Weirdest and worst thing about the film though - none of the footage has the proper music in it. The music they do put in it is so truly awful it's mind-boggling.

There are a few nice bits, namely:

- A few clips of the Fellowship in Lorien. 2 snippets of gift giving and one of them loading up the boats. Here's an interesting thing - in the foreground is Legolas touching up his new bow. Now in the background it seems to look like a little wee Merry is looking at his gift. Which looks like....... a sword! I'm not 100% certain, but maybe this explains how the little hobbits get their mitts on a weapon sufficient to twat the Nazgul lord? Might also explain why PJ feels he needs to put this scene back in cos he realised how stupid it was leaving it out in the first place.
- Miscellaneous battle shots. Just generally quite pleasing to the eye. Oddest bit is that CG shot of all the orcs moving from left to right over Mordor (from main trailer). Well, although they have the orcs in, there's no post-production done on it. It just looks bizarre. Plus no Mt Doom in the background.
- Aragorn riding with presumably some others of the Dunadan to war.

There are a few clips I can't place anywhere in the story to my knowledge, but the scariest one was because it had the ever-popular Arwen in it. There's her and a few other elves talking to Legolas and then they touch hands or summat. Only thing I can think of is it's at the end of war of the ring (IE Arwen + Aragorn are crowned) or it's the rumoured 'paths of the dead' bit. Or perhaps PJ thought to extend the love story element by having ARwen have a quickie fling with Legolas. Hmmmmmm.

Anyway, definately NOT worth the price and not even worth watching to my mind if it's just on TV.

If anyone is prepared to pay postage they can have my copy. It sucks that bad.