FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-23-2007, 02:53 PM   #10
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insidious Rex
Im confused on a number of levels here…

Are you saying we as citizens often get to go to the polls and vote on if we should go/stay to/in a war or not? Because that doesn’t happen. And it really sounds like that’s what yer saying.
You know as well as I do that popular opinion has a big impact on whether we stick a war out or not. I bet that a lot more of our current presidential candidates would be expressing support for the war in Iraq if, say, 60-70% of the voting populace supported it. Even if the war was going exactly as it is now and 60-70% of the voting population supported it, many more candidates would be supporting it. We can make a big difference in whether or not a war continues by who we vote for in election year. Whether that be congressional elections or presidential. Popular pressure at home also can push government leaders to change policies before their terms are over.
Quote:
Or are you saying that the officials women tend to elect are more likely to be against conflict then the officials men elect? If so then you are making a false conclusion that it’s the ONLY issue females vote on. Whats much more likely is that they vote on many others and the officials they elect may have a tendency to look more toward mediation of conflict than use of force as an only option. But that’s not a direct cause and effect situation. If you are going to start barring people from voting based on indirect consequence then youll wind up with no one voting because you can make the statistics show you whatever you want. So that reasoning doesn’t work. Better ban blacks and the poor and liberals and people with less then three vehicles etc etc.
I've already been over that with you before. Those aren't matters of genetics but culture.
Quote:
OR are you talking about female elected officials and saying they tend to vote against conflict situations? If so then first off its not really true enough to matter (ie: its not like you are talking about 95% of females). And I hardly think that’s a reason to disqualify them from being elected officials just because they vote for peace more often then men?
There have been more problems than one seen with women in politics. For one, yes, they tend to vote more against war and thus overall tend to weaken our ability to win wars and reduce our response time in matters of national security. Another issue is that some women, in order to prove themselves, become hyper-aggressive. There can be problems in those situations, obviously.

I'll be back to respond to the rest of your post soon, I expect .
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

~Oscar Wilde, written from prison

Oscar Wilde's last words: "Either the wallpaper goes, or I do."
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote