Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-13-2006, 12:03 AM   #11
-elfearz-
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by R*an
Now why I asked the question about Muslims is this: I think there are many cultural Muslims around, like there are many cultural Christians around. In countries where being a second-class citizen, or even the death penalty, is the consequence of NOT being a Muslim, I imagine there are many so-called Muslims that aren't REALLY Muslims. IOW, they live in a Muslim country and follow the general laws and even the outward ceremonies, but if pressed, show that they don't hold their scriptures to be the absolute truth - maybe it's just kind of tradition or "spiritual" or something similar. That's why I like to talk about the particular tenets of a belief - because one can't always judge a belief by some of the people that say they hold it. I think you need to judge a belief on its own merits, and also by the people that carry out the tenets of the belief.
I think this is a very good point, and that clarification on this was/is definitely needed!
I have some trouble drawing that boundary though - I definitely think that there are a lot of people who identify with Christianity, Islam or any other religion because they were "born into it" - thus subscribing to the religion for them is more of a cultural thing than an active choice to follow that particular faith over any other faith (or no faith).

But what if a person has turned their mind to the question of what their religion stands for, and has made a conscious choice to practice most, but not all of the tenets that it has had historically? Which category of followers do they fall into? Or what if a whole lot of people rank some tenets higher than others, and practice the religion in light of this? Sure an argument can be made that they are not really practicing the religion (in fundamentalist terms), or that they are practicing a different religion...but if they identify themselves with the original religion is there any point in giving them a different label? (except for the purposes of argument of course - if this thread is only concerned with certain Muslims, then there is certainly a point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lief Erikson
I agree. I think Islam is a violent religion by nature, but I think that Western views of Islam are distorted when they say all Muslims are like that. An outlook that condemns all Arabs and all Muslims is a very negative one. It alienates Muslims who truly want peace.
See...I think that an argument that Islam is a violent religion by nature would also alienate Muslims who truly want peace, though I know this is not your intention
-elfearz- is offline   Reply With Quote