Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-02-2002, 04:54 PM   #33
Kwijibo
Elven Warrior

Location: Lothlorien (actually Wales, but let's not talk about that)
Tom Bombadil

I respect most of what u say about T.B, firstus ravenwood, I'm not sure about Tom and the Bombadilloes though

???

I do recken that Tom Bombadil is quite essential 2 Middle-Earth and the LotR books. I think there is quite possibly a little bit of Tom inside all of us. He's seems really merry and totally carefree, but underneath, he's all knowledgeable, like Treebeard. I suppose Tom Bombadil is 2 the Old Forest as Treebeard is 2 Fangorn Forest.

He can seem wrapped up in his own little forest and his own little world though. He did say, i think, that he didn't venture outside his own forest.

'Ignorant' isn't the rite word 2 use however. He's clearly concerned with what happens around him, but puts a happy face on everthing. When he rescued the hobbits from the Barrow-downs, I believe he was singing? And i don't think he's too scared - he fought off Old Man Willow and the Barrow-Wights!

Perhaps Tom is a kind of human ent. He's an interesting theory:

Tom Bombadil was born an Ent in Fangorn Forest, he roamed the world of Middle-Earth and finally settled in the Old Forest. There he met Goldberry and slowly became humanish. I bet if u asked him nicely he'd speak a bit of Entish.

Basically, Tom Bombadil ROX! So does Tim Benzedrine!

'I left my body to science, but I'm afraid they've turned it down' - In memory of Graham Chapman

'Rubin sits like Buddah in a 10 foot cell,
An innocent man in a living hell,' - From 'Hurricane' by Bob Dylan, the only innocent Hurricane protest song, written stressing the innocence of Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter, a black, middle-weight boxer imprisoned for 19 for a triple murder which he did not commit.
Kwijibo is offline   Reply With Quote