Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-03-2002, 05:44 PM   #1
rdolivaw
Sapling

Gandalf Gandalf's seeming reticence

I took my kids and my wife to LOTR:FOTR the other afternoon (second viewing for me and the kids, first for my wife). Said wife is basically familiar with the work, but has only read it once, several years ago, not being a big fan of fantasy. I and the boys have read most of Tolkein's works several times and all enjoyed the movie, as movie and for itself, greatly; as much, though certainly differently, as we've enjoyed the written Word through the years (my 13-year-old has even waded through Silmarillion twice and I've been through LOTR a couple dozen times since the '60s).

Anyway, my wife was wondering on the way home "how come Gandalf didn't use his power more to protect and defend the fellowship?" I pointed out his defense against the balrog and during the abortive attempt to cross Carhadras, but that seemed inadequate. I also mentioned that use of his powers would reveal their position and, while I think that's sufficient, she did not.

Any other thoughts on Gandalf's seeming reticence? I think the secrecy issue is sufficient (though it seemed that an awful lot of creatures knew exactly where they were).