Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-03-2004, 11:37 AM   #23
sun-star
Lady of Letters

Quote:
Originally posted by Valandil
I would venture to guess that we all stereotype groups of people to some extent - by religion, nationality, (ED: age), ethnicity - even body size and shape. It greatly simplifies life by giving us a starting point. What is then important is to find out how accurate our notions can be held across a group - and (probably most important) to allow for individual differences.

Stereotyping has some validity... it's just very important to understand its limitations.
I see your point, but isn't there a danger that, in allowing ourselves to stereotype a certain group as a "starting point" for knowing them better, we then (subconsiousy) fit the experience to the stereotype, thus perpetuating the fixed idea instead of replacing it? Example: someone thinks French people are arrogant. They meet a French person who says "France is a great country". Because they (subconsciously or consciously) expect to meet arrogant French people, they interpret this statement as arrogance, when if, say, a American said "America is a great country" they would interpret it as patriotism. So they go away thinking French people are arrogant. Now I know there are some statements that aren't open to a positive interpretation, but how do you distinguish between those statements and the negative ones if you expect negative ones?

That's why I think stereotypes are always a bad idea - sometimes impossible to avoid, but always a bad idea.

Unfortunately the paradox is that you have to be open-minded to allow challenge your prejudices to be challenged, but if you're open-minded you try not to have such prejudices in the first place
For centuries to come, when not a soul
Is left to picnic on the blazing rocks,
When England is not England, when mankind
Has blown himself to pieces. Still the sea,
Consolingly disastrous, will return
While the strange starfish, hugely magnified,
Waits in the jewelled basin of a pool.
sun-star is offline   Reply With Quote